Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wood stacking in the Heatmor  (Read 7520 times)

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
Re: Wood stacking in the Heatmor
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 08:22:42 PM »

I'm not sure if the newer models have a removable restrictor on the blower outlet into the firebox, but if they do, go ahead and remove it for the "coal" setting.  I also blocked off the air outlet into the firebox and have all of my air blowing underneath the grates and up into the firebox.  As long as I keep the wood on the grates and the ashes cleaned off (shaker grates FTW), the fire really rocks.

What year was your 400 ? I did notice that bigger pipe in my new 400 and yes its removable.  Did your door get hotter when you took restrictor out  when burning wood ?

Heat550

Mine's a 200 css, 2008 model I believe.  I didn't notice my door getting any hotter.  The piece that restricts the blower tube down that you pictured, I removed.  I seem to recall the manual saying to remove it when burning coal so more air blows under the coals.

heat550

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 1994 200ss 2015 400dcss
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 10:50:12 PM »

I think that tube on 400 the main tube is close to 2 inch. I will measure it  next time I get a chance.

Heat550

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 04:20:55 AM »

I'm not sure if the newer models have a removable restrictor on the blower outlet into the firebox, but if they do, go ahead and remove it for the "coal" setting.  I also blocked off the air outlet into the firebox and have all of my air blowing underneath the grates and up into the firebox.  As long as I keep the wood on the grates and the ashes cleaned off (shaker grates FTW), the fire really rocks.

What year was your 400 ? I did notice that bigger pipe in my new 400 and yes its removable.  Did your door get hotter when you took restrictor out  when burning wood ?

Heat550

Mine's a 200 css, 2008 model I believe.  I didn't notice my door getting any hotter.  The piece that restricts the blower tube down that you pictured, I removed.  I seem to recall the manual saying to remove it when burning coal so more air blows under the coals.

Is your  tube 2 inchs in dia. ? like 400dcss ( it is 2 inch I looked  1 inch with restrictor ) ? my old 1994 heatmor 200 I bet was only 1 inch tub and that was it .

Heat550
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 04:23:21 AM by heat550 »

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2015, 05:18:35 AM »

Heat, i took the restirctor out and have been running that way for a few weeks.....i like it. still gets plenty of air out of the front air box and MUCH more air under the grates.....i can get a nasty hot fire going in the back on the firebox under the back blower.....its fun to watch the flames getting pushed up and down, there is just a blue/white tornado!

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 02:49:22 AM »

Heat, i took the restirctor out and have been running that way for a few weeks.....i like it. still gets plenty of air out of the front air box and MUCH more air under the grates.....i can get a nasty hot fire going in the back on the firebox under the back blower.....its fun to watch the flames getting pushed up and down, there is just a blue/white tornado!

That's awesome . You have to get some video of that .  White and blue flames are some serious heat ! You have to get the video and
shut door before camera has issues .  I will try and get some video also and get it on you-tube. white dazzling was always hard to get on the old 200css  it had to be -10f or colder to get the white dazzling . :thumbup: I have noticed the 400 dcss does do a lot more blue flames also. That poor wood pile . :bag:

Heat550

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 06:58:52 AM »

ill keep you updated. hasnt been cold enough to get serious white flames yet....i got all season white and red oak, hickory and cherry for when it get colder

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 03:11:29 AM »

ill keep you updated. hasnt been cold enough to get serious white flames yet....i got all season white and red oak, hickory and cherry for when it get colder

Im trying the double rank of 24 inch pieces tonight  one stack in back one in front wood going long way fire box . its set 15 degree difference it heats up the 15 degrees in like 10 mins  crazy  -3 f and wind .  160f to 145f at boiler ( top of tank ).  150f to 135f on longest run boiler to house 125ft .  Mine seems 10 degree difference stat (top) to bottom of tank .( outlet )  This was same on 200css . just way it is .

Heat550 . 

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 02:52:41 AM »

Got rocket launch :) Try this one for stacking  pieces 20 -24 inch and about 3-4 30 inches pieces .
Your making 2 ranks one in back and one in front but interlocking with the 30 inch pieces between
layers this to help hold stack from touching sides of firebox . and leaving 2-3 inch air gap on sides .
only fill it to hieght of top flipper on door and do this below 0f  see how it works .  This is old trick I learned on old 200css to get water hot fast .
ooo and make sure ashes are cleaned out . for true entertainment watch the smoke coming out of chimney .
I had 5 ft of just heat waves before the smoke turned white . It did this after couple cycles . or after moisture
was out of wood .  :thumbup:

Heat550

cycle times were pretty quick to get back to temp.

safety note don't open the door even with switching fans off flames really roll around even with fan off stacked this way.
or atless till it burned a bunch off .  or bring door to safety latch and be careful  that's how I tried wanted a look see .
not responsible for burned eye brows :)  It did burn some rabbit fur off my bomber hat though :) its foe rabbit fur  ya  :thumbup:

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2016, 04:38:43 PM »

Hahah yah I have caused a minor explosion from openedinh the door right after it shut down and the gasses were condensing....shot some creosote out of the stack
Pages: 1 [2]