Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Remote monitoring / Data logging  (Read 14046 times)

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Re: Remote monitoring / Data logging
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 08:36:57 PM »

We will see how the current sensor works out, it is a ubti product and hooks into the Ethernet jack or port 1or2. It was 15 bucks on ebay. I figured when the blower gets power it will sense voltage and trip the on signal. So any insight about needing the uap wireless access point? Will I need that or will the mport connect to my wifi router without it? I hoped to install the mport inside the back of the boiler and run an antenna outside. Doesn't the mport have an external antenna on it already that is removable? I thought I saw that in the literature.

Jeremy.flaugh

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Home made
  • OWF Model: P&M 250 knockoff. I accidently made it that way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 08:39:13 PM »

I believe I will need the Unifi AP wifi access point to plug into my wifi router in the house In order for the mport to be able to bridge into the wireless network in my house? The mport  can't access through my wifi router by itself correct? Can I set up a temp alarm notification that will send out an alert if the water temp gets to low or an alert if the blower fan has been blowing for over a certain amount of minutes?

You could add another AP on the outside of your house to create a bridge but it does not need to be Unfi my Mport can "see" any 2.4 Wifi AP I just tested it to be sure. See attachment.

I'm not sure about the blower on for too long warning I'll play around with mine and let you know that's a good idea. I have two temp warnings one set at 40 and the other set at 200 see one of the first attachments.

Jeremy.flaugh

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 08:43:23 PM »

We will see how the current sensor works out, it is a ubti product and hooks into the Ethernet jack or port 1or2. It was 15 bucks on ebay. I figured when the blower gets power it will sense voltage and trip the on signal. So any insight about needing the uap wireless access point? Will I need that or will the mport connect to my wifi router without it? I hoped to install the mport inside the back of the boiler and run an antenna outside. Doesn't the mport have an external antenna on it already that is removable? I thought I saw that in the literature.

See my last post regarding the wireless.

The Mport-S serial has the external connector but not the Mport I have no idea why.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2015, 08:50:59 PM »

You will have to bare with me a little. I am pretty good with computers but certainly not a geek. I  assuming you mean access point when you say Ap. If the mport was in the house next to the wifi router that I have which my computers get their wireless signal from would it connect to the wifi or not? What would be an example of an " outside ap"? Thanks.

Jeremy.flaugh

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 06:09:45 AM »

You will have to bare with me a little. I am pretty good with computers but certainly not a geek. I  assuming you mean access point when you say Ap. If the mport was in the house next to the wifi router that I have which my computers get their wireless signal from would it connect to the wifi or not? What would be an example of an " outside ap"? Thanks.

Yep AP = AccessPiont sorry I'm a network engineer by trade an I'll toss out acronyms without thinking about it.

The Mport will connect to your home AP on 2.4Ghz that's B, G, or N

The UAP-Outdoor+ would be an example of a outdoor AP but keep in mind this model is part of the Unfi selection and requires the Unfi controller software to configure and monitor it because there is no built in web interface but your going to be running the Mfi software already so you can install both mfi and unfi on the same PC the advantage is you have wireless outside for personal use.

You could also use 2 nanostation locoM5 and create a dedicated bridge the advantages are the devices have web interfaces and it's a dedicated PTP Point To Point link but you will not be able to connect personal devices to.
Here how to set up a PTP link.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__xzHnK6IVs

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2015, 06:39:03 AM »

Thanks for your help. I will wait and see what happens when the mport gets here and what I can get for reception with it. I now see that the mport with no serial port doesn't come with an antenna, that is stupid. If I can't get good signal I will have to do some modifications. I take it that a regular VHF/UHF antenna would not work to extend its receiving capabilities if I cracked open the box and added a connection so that I could attach the uhf/vhf antenna to it?

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 06:51:14 AM »

Might check out the 3Gstore as well, they have antennas for everything imaginable.

I’m using a cellular hotspot for my home internet, picked up a cable and directional antennae from them and took my download speeds from 10-15 mb to over 70 on the big ones, no matter the weather I always have a strong signal as well.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 02:37:02 PM »

Ok I got the MFI software running on the laptop. I downloaded the MFI app on my Iphone but I am having a problem connecting to the MFI server. On the App it prompts me for site, username and password. My mfi address is https://127.0.0.1:6443 but when I type that in and my user name and password it says MFI server could not be reached, check your network connection. I see that the 127 ip is a loop back to my own computer correct? I looked up my global IP and used that instead and that did not work either.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 03:04:15 PM by hondaracer2oo4 »

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 04:38:16 PM »

Well i am learning stuff about networking here. So I have figured out that when I am on my wifi network in the house I just have to type in the servers address and port 10.0.0.2:6443/manage into a browser and I can log into the MFi software running on my server. What I can not figure out how to do is access my server remotely from outside my wifi network. I opened up my router settings and set up  port forwarding. I entered the ip address of the server 10.0.0.2 and added port 6443 and saved it. When i type my global IP into the browser followed by :6443/manage the computer times out every time. Not sure what I have done wrong, any insight?

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2015, 05:39:31 PM »

Look at your last post here at the bottom just after where is says report to moderator. That is the IP address you need to use.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 06:33:23 PM »

Thanks RSI, I have been trying that IP address, I referred  to that ip address as my 'global ip' in my post. It does not work either. Any other ideas?

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2015, 06:37:50 PM »

It is probably a router setting. Do you have a router and separate modem? If so, you may need to set up both.

Jeremy.flaugh

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »

Look at your last post here at the bottom just after where is says report to moderator. That is the IP address you need to use.

Ha interesting I never would have thought of that... I was going to have him use ipchicken.com

hondaracer2oo4

You might want to look at a service like no-ip.com if your public "global" IP changes alot. Also once you get this setup a little more permanent the 10.0.0.2 that's assigned to the laptop you might want to make that static and assign an IP address outside your DHCP scope.

Regarding you other question about port forwarding.
Most routers will not allow traffic to the outside and back in so test your port forward from a cell phone connected to 3G or LTE.
I have 2 icons on my Iphone one called "MFI Remote" and one called "MFI". The "MFI remote" points to flaughs2000.com:6443 and "MFI" points to 192.168.78.4:6443 to get around this problem.

Also if you get into a bad bind we can schedule a phone call and work some of the kinks out.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2015, 06:50:41 PM »

I have a single router/modem. I logged into the router/modem and enabled port forwarding on the server computer 10.0.0.2 on port 6443 which is what I use to access the server controller software from the wan. But I can't seem to access the server controller software outside of my wan through my global ip.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2015, 06:54:47 PM »

My IP has stayed consistent the past few days with me trying to figure this out. Right now for some reason I can't locally access the software on another PC on the WAN. 10.0.0.2:6443/manage I could use to access it within my WAN. Now it just says

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

My Iphone still can access

Pages: 1 [2] 3