Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cutting concrete ona dime-Best practice?  (Read 4557 times)

Gunpowder

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL6048
    • View Profile
Cutting concrete ona dime-Best practice?
« on: November 29, 2016, 11:34:28 AM »

trench is dug up to the foundation outside the utility room of my office/nature center of my nonprofit. Need to cut an 8" hole in the floor and foundation block to run insulated pex into the park's furnace room to get our outdoor wood boiler installed.

I am guessing I am looking for a a heavy duty hammer drill or a concrete saw. I would think drilling a circular series of holes to make a honeycomb section to knock out would be best. Getting the pex turned into a 90 and ran up through the floor will be tough I bet.

What's your thoughts and expereinces?
3pt Speeco splitter
2016 22 Ton Iron & Oak V/H splitter
Stihl MS362 C-M, 036
IH574, MF65

coolidge

• View Profile
Re: Cutting concrete ona dime-Best practice?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 01:26:00 PM »

There is a saw that will cut a round hole, forget the name of it, and I believe you need to use water with it.
Western Maine

Tim Guinn

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: portage and main
  • OWF Model: bl 3444
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 01:39:59 PM »

If you can find someone that rents tools and carries the Husqvarna cut n break saw, it will do from 8" square on up, to a depth of 16". It doesn't require very much water either. Tim

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 02:59:27 PM »

Rather than cutting a hole up through the slab and haunched edge of your slab that will never be compacted enough that the slab does not crack, did you ever consider coming up outside of the building and coming through the sill area, all you would need to do would be a small doghouse around your pipe and insulate it.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

shepherd boy

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 06:01:21 PM »

We use a core bit for round hole in concrete but go through wall at sill area quite often. Hate coming up through floor,hitting rebar and the likes will ruin a core bit.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

Gunpowder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 08:33:00 AM »

Rather than cutting a hole up through the slab and haunched edge of your slab that will never be compacted enough that the slab does not crack, did you ever consider coming up outside of the building and coming through the sill area, all you would need to do would be a small doghouse around your pipe and insulate it.

That was our initial thoughts but then we thought we might go through floor and through the top block that generally is concrete filled. But I am running 95' so thinking Thermopex so not sure it will flex right. Imagine it will be hard to run thermapex through the side block and magically upward through a hole in the concrete :)

I am in the corner where my furnace room meets the shop and outside I only have about 2' between the wall and an overhead garage door so hate to box in in that area due to clearance. On the other hand, it is in a corner and building is T1-11 so can cut open and box in corner and no one would ever know.

Haven't decided yet.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 08:42:27 AM by Gunpowder »
3pt Speeco splitter
Stihl MS362 C-M, 036
IH574, MF65

Gunpowder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 08:34:05 AM »

Neighbor does have a hammer drill or saw or something he said I can borrow. Just have to decide how I plan to enter the room... Wall or floor
3pt Speeco splitter
Stihl MS362 C-M, 036
IH574, MF65

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 09:48:53 PM »

I brought my lines up through the floor in my shed using a Hilti drill and a core bit (think I only needed a 5 or 6 inch hole). You can use a saw also and water keeps the dust down and is required on a lot of the blades. My lines were 6' deep as I have a potable water line also but you will want to go deep enough at the building to allow a gradual bend when you come up through the floor. Would have been a lot easier had I remembered a sleeve during construction but my cement never cracked as I made sure to soak and compact the trench and hole when I back filled. Good luck.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

Jared43758

• OWF Model: C250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 02:59:04 PM »

We use a core bit for round hole in concrete but go through wall at sill area quite often. Hate coming up through floor,hitting rebar and the likes will ruin a core bit.

I sawed and cored concrete for a living for over 4 years.  Core bits are made to cut threw rebar and steel.  Will not ruin a bit at all. 
Hand saws, Ring saws, chain saws, wall saws, wire saws, flat saws and core drills.  I've drilled serveral holes that were 36 inch diameter in waste water plants threw walls that are 12-18 inch thick with tons of huge bar
Stihl MS290
Stihl MS660 Magnum
Husky 21 ton splitter

Southeast Ohio

Jared43758

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 03:16:23 PM »

Any rental store in the world will have a core drill to rent.  Do not use without water. Hand core drill are hard to run for a rookie and are only meant for up to a 6 inch bit.  They do rent them with bases u mount them on and anchor to floor or wall which will require a hammer drill and a concrete anchor.  They will rent u 110volt base mount core drill that can drill 10-12 inch holes pretty well with the right spacers on the drill which they will have took care of.  The right store may rent a vacumm seal base that seals to floor without anchor but does require a pretty smooth floor to seal too.    Otherwise your options are limited if your indoors as rental store will prolly not care hydraulic chainsaws or ring saws or the hydraulic pack needed to power it.   You can prolly get a electric hand saw which will cut 5 inch deep with a 14" blade.

Drilling a circle of small holes with a hammer drill, would prolly work but be a pain and if u had a pass threw rebar it would cause u trouble. If u went that route I would defiantly get a good size drill with the chip-n-hammer feature which works like a mini jack hammer. And a chisel bit as well as the drill bit.  Although u can chip with a bit.
Stihl MS290
Stihl MS660 Magnum
Husky 21 ton splitter

Southeast Ohio

shepherd boy

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 07:37:11 PM »

Maybe I'm buying the wrong bits, but I've got some with the teeth knocked out from rebar.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 02:22:23 AM »

Me too, and on haunched edge pads that the customer ( that poured the pad himself) said no way is there any rebar in there until I showed him the two pieces of cut off 3/4 inch rebar then it was oh jee I'm sorry and no I won't buy that $800 bit from Hilti!

Jared43758

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 12:42:34 PM »

You can break the diamond segs,  and it's a lot easier in holes that are 2 inch or smaller.  You can still drill with one Seg missing if your careful.  Once u loose one Seg u have to move to a different spot or get a bigger bit to drill over the hole. Once one is broke off and broke off in the hole the bit won't be able to drill unless u can remove the diamond segment from the cut.  Causes of that can be a couple things.  Hand drilling and having the bit kinda off square. Eliminate that with a base, too high speed can do it and when u first hit bar it's best to start easy till you go though.

In bigger bits you can drill with several segs missing as long as there's not more than one in row in a spot. Actually usaully cuts faster
Stihl MS290
Stihl MS660 Magnum
Husky 21 ton splitter

Southeast Ohio

Gunpowder

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 07:05:37 PM »

This is in the inside corner of an L shaped building.  I just poured a mini 3x3 pad approximately 3' down and ran block out and around to the other side of the building (think 2 sided L shaped block wall).

Skipped 2 rows of block in one area and then ran a bar across to support the next row of block that is just below the surface grade. Then the last row finishes the foundation.

Add a sill plate, frame, T1-11, insulation. Pex will run through the new hole and up the original wall. I will cut through the wall to access the pex. The new box is insulated.  Back fill with pea gravel inside and back-fill trench outside. Enable me to replace pipe in future years.
3pt Speeco splitter
Stihl MS362 C-M, 036
IH574, MF65

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 02:36:16 AM »

Sounds like a lot of work, perhaps simply coming above ground on the outside of the building and then coming through the sill then boxing it in with an insulated box might have been easier.
Pages: [1] 2