Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fire Out  (Read 5314 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Fire Out
« on: March 06, 2017, 04:33:02 AM »

Went outside at 6:00 this morning to put wood in the OWB and the digital display was blinking F.O. meaning Fire Out.  What happened?  I thought I had put in enough wood to last 12 hours.  When I opened the firebox door, it was all ashes.  Obviously I didn't put enough in to last the 12 hours.  I got lucky though.  I took the poker and ran it through the ashes.  Berried deep in the pile of ashes was a nice pile of red hot coal.  Not all is lost.  I spread them around being careful not to have them fall in to the reaction chamber.  I grabbed 6 small pieces of wood and placed them in the firebox in strategic places, pressed the fan by-pass switch to activate the fan and held there until I it started to flame up.  I think it took a couple of minutes for flames to start showing.  I then put extra pieces in it to last the day.  I shut her down and she is running again.  This is my sixth season heating my home with it and it's the first time I didn't put enough wood in it for 12 hours.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
Re: Fire Out
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 04:49:06 AM »

Once in all those years- wow, I get busy and do it every few weeks! :)
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 11:27:34 PM »

I get this once in a while too.  I work some long days in the winter, sometimes I can be out 15 hours.  If it's in the negative temps and windy I will get behind on the loading.  This causes my wood consumption to go up as well because the stove has to work a lot harder to get back up to temp also.  I have never had my stove go out where I can't get it going again from the coals but I've had it where I came home to a crabby wife and a 60 degree house.  She will run the tractor, pull the trailer, run the splitter and hell she will even run the small chainsaw but she absolutely will not fill the wood stove up.  (Story for another time)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 11:30:20 PM by aarmga »
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 03:50:03 AM »

The only other times I had a fire out condition is when the wood bridged or I purposely let it go out.  But, otherwise, it just keeps on burning and providing heat to my house.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 10:36:21 AM »

Last sat was the coldest temps we have seen all winter and 40+ mph winds.I filled the boiler about 9:30 pm with the most wood I have ever put in. At 7 am I went out to find that I was out of wood and the temp was down to 140. Luckily there was enough coals to get it going again. Came in the house scratching my head why we didn't make 12 hours. Well figured it out. When we went to bed my wife left the basement modine at 70 and she put the 2nd floor zone up to 72 which we leave at 60 because of the heat rise. That increase in load put enough strain on the boiler to use that much more wood. Lesson learned if we turn everything up don't expect 12 hours.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

Marleywood

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: The Classic CL-5648
    • View Profile
    • Marleywood Raised Cedar Garden Beds
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 10:50:27 AM »

My guess would be it was windier and also colder than you thought it was.  Wind more likely to cause it.  Up here on the mountain we get 40+mph winds on a fairly regular basis, with 50+ not shocking.  I live less than 50 miles as the crow flies from Mt Washington NH, the record holder for the highest recorded wind gust on earth!

(Yes, I know some say that this record has been broken, but it still stands as the highest non-cyclonic wind gust event on earth 231 MPH)

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 01:42:57 PM »

My guess would be it was windier and also colder than you thought it was.  Wind more likely to cause it.  Up here on the mountain we get 40+mph winds on a fairly regular basis, with 50+ not shocking.  I live less than 50 miles as the crow flies from Mt Washington NH, the record holder for the highest recorded wind gust on earth!

(Yes, I know some say that this record has been broken, but it still stands as the highest non-cyclonic wind gust event on earth 231 MPH)

That's exactly it.  I had under estimated how cold it was and how windy it was at the same time.  The hardest part about this time of year is knowing how much wood to put in the firebox, especially after experiencing temps in the 60's only to have them drop to the low single digits coupled with a 20-30mph wind that gusts to 40 at times.  You don't want to put too much in it, it leaves a huge pile of coal; you don't want to not put enough in it, because the wood burns up and the fire goes out.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 08:07:29 PM »

I’ve never really had an issue with too much wood, just add a little less in the morning.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 08:54:41 PM »

I don't know I filled it up as much as I could , wife just put too much load on it for what the wood could produce. She was scolded  ;)  All good guess I should have gotten up earlier.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 09:02:38 PM »

How far was it burned down before you filled it? Having a couple extra inches of coals built up can add several hours to the burn time.

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 08:31:42 PM »

How far was it burned down before you filled it? Having a couple extra inches of coals built up can add several hours to the burn time.

Very true^^. If it's windy and 30 degrees I'll use the same amount of wood as if it's 15 with no wind.
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection

tandwfund

• OWF Brand: Aqua Therm 145
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 01:18:04 PM »

Does anyone use or have thought about using a chimney wind vane?  It turns away from the wind and would prevent the chimney suction by diverting the wind around the end of the flue pipe.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 04:36:03 PM »

Does anyone use or have thought about using a chimney wind vane?  It turns away from the wind and would prevent the chimney suction by diverting the wind around the end of the flue pipe.
no.. High stack owner here..I want the draft to pull the fire up to keep the stack clean
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

tandwfund

• OWF Brand: Aqua Therm 145
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 08:53:11 AM »

Thanks, MattyNH

Marleywood

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: The Classic CL-5648
    • View Profile
    • Marleywood Raised Cedar Garden Beds
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 05:44:37 PM »

no.. High stack owner here..I want the draft to pull the fire up to keep the stack clean

I assume "High Stack" refers to a fairly tall chimney pipe?  If so, me too and that's good to know about the draft for the fire to keep it clean, thanks!
Pages: [1] 2