Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Ecobee Smart Thermostat and OWB?  (Read 5032 times)

braveblaster

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
    • View Profile
Ecobee Smart Thermostat and OWB?
« on: June 16, 2017, 05:07:31 PM »

Would an Ecobee (Smart Thermostat) work with an OWB?

Does anyone has one installed and working, if so, please share installation experiences and wiring?

I know when my Ridgewood OWB was initially installed a certain type of thermostat was required.

Thanks!

NaturallyAspirated

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: M250
  • Golfing, snowmobiling fool!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nealmastel.com
Re: Ecobee Smart Thermostat and OWB?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 07:41:05 PM »

There should be no problem with using an ecobee.  Many folks here use smart thermostats (myself included, I use a NEST). 

Do you have a second stage/backup heat source?

All the ecobee products I have looked at have standard 2 heat/2 cool capability.    :thumbup:

Miss Farad was pretty and sensual, and charged to a reckless potential; but a rascal named Ohm conducted her home - Her decline was, alas, exponential
Send me your bitcoins!  1GEsGKzP5xK9e45YDjmRzGYpnhwT3oNbvj

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 07:42:51 PM »

The issue I found with the Nest is if the OWB is set up as primary and the gas furnace as secondary, when you have a big enough call for heat it kicks em both on. We set the thermostat at 68 for the night and 73 during the day. in the morning instead of preheating with jus the OWB, it would kick the gas furnace in as well.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

braveblaster

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 07:44:34 PM »

There should be no problem with using an ecobee.  Many folks here use smart thermostats (myself included, I use a NEST). 

All the ecobee products I have looked at have standard 2 heat/2 cool capability.    :thumbup:

Thanks.

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by having a second stage/backup heat source?

Right now I have  four sets of thermostat as follows:

2 thermostat control each of the Heat Pumps for normal operation (that is NO OWB involved)

2 separate thermostat control the temperature at which the fan blower comes on/off from the two above mentioned heat pumps during OWB winter operation when thermostat calls for heat.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 07:50:48 PM by braveblaster »

NaturallyAspirated

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 05:27:33 AM »

The issue I found with the Nest is if the OWB is set up as primary and the gas furnace as secondary, when you have a big enough call for heat it kicks em both on. We set the thermostat at 68 for the night and 73 during the day. in the morning instead of preheating with jus the OWB, it would kick the gas furnace in as well.
What category do you have the OWB set as?  Radiant?  Many high swings will engaged both stages of heat, you may have to fiddle with the scheduling to slowly bring up from 68 to 73 to keep the second stage from kicking on all the time.

Miss Farad was pretty and sensual, and charged to a reckless potential; but a rascal named Ohm conducted her home - Her decline was, alas, exponential

NaturallyAspirated

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 05:41:08 AM »

Thanks.

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by having a second stage/backup heat source?

Right now I have  four sets of thermostat as follows:

2 thermostat control each of the Heat Pumps for normal operation (that is NO OWB involved)

2 separate thermostat control the temperature at which the fan blower comes on/off from the two above mentioned heat pumps during OWB winter operation when thermostat calls for heat.
Many thermostats, most every smart or programmable now-a-days has the ability to control two or more heat or cooling sources.  It's basically two thermostats built into one.  Some have interactions between them so you can determine when/how each heating or cooling source is activated.  It saves having to manually control multiple thermostats.

Sounds like what you really need is a 3 heat / 2 cool thermostat.  You have two stages of heat pump heating, and one stage of OWB heating.  Likewise you have two stages of heat pump cooling. 

You could go with the Ecobee3 Lite:
https://www.amazon.com/Ecobee3-Thermostat-Wi-Fi-Works-Amazon/dp/B01K48T09Y/ref=pd_sim_60_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01K48T09Y&pd_rd_r=XTJFR0K99ATNHTKXH86Z&pd_rd_w=Ty01P&pd_rd_wg=BubAz&psc=1&refRID=XTJFR0K99ATNHTKXH86Z

Here is a connection example for radiant, and 1 stage heat pump heating W2 would go to heat pump W1, not W2 on boiler, and 2 stages of heat pump cooling:
https://www.ecobee.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/ecobee3lite_wiringdiagram_boilerradiant.pdf

The main problem is that heat pumps are treated by thermostats to be the primary source (stage 1 and stage 2 of a 3 stage system).  I don't see any Ecobee products that have 3 independent heating stages.  W1, W2, W3.

NEST does have a W3 option, as do some other 3h capable thermostats.  Are you fixed on Ecobee or would any smart or programmable thermostat do?  Do you want a separate app to control, Alexa integration, ect..?

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 06:12:35 AM by NaturallyAspirated »

NaturallyAspirated

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 11:39:26 AM »

Are you using */W3 for anything?  I see that the specs have the W1/W2 differential at 3.3 degrees while the W1/W3 differential is 7 degrees.  Seems like you could run two stages of heat on stages 1 and 3 of the Nest and that spread would prevent the second stage of heat from being engaged as well.  I am/was using a humidifier but may just jumper it of of W1 instead of an independent feed from the Nest.  I am going to try the W1 for OWB, W2 no connection, W3/* backup (electric strip) heat configuration this fall.

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 04:29:38 PM »

Seems like breaking the compressor, strip heat etc with relays and a temp controller (ranco) sensing the incoming OWB line would be simpler? Then the stat can be one stage of heat, be Wi-Fi connected etc and the heat pump or other secondary heat source will not come on if the OWB is hot.
We do it that way on all Wi-Fi and multi-zone heat pump stats.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 05:39:36 PM by E Yoder »
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 05:29:06 AM »

Seems like breaking the compressor, strip heat etc with relays and a temp controller (ranco) sensing the incoming OWB line would be simpler? Then the stat can be one stage of heat, be Wi-Fi connected etc and the heat pump or other secondary heat source will not come on if the OWB is hot.

Pretty much what I did after jacking with two stage heat for awhile, just simpler for starters.

It’s pretty nice to be gone for a few days and turn the temp up from your smart phone on the way home.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

NaturallyAspirated

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 06:32:57 PM »

It wouldn't be with a 3h conventional stage smart thermostat with a larger separation of stages than the night setback is at.  That or ramp up the temp in steps in the morning lower than the 1/2 stage differential.

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 06:27:15 AM »

Yup, that works too.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com