Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: sharkbite radiant style / sidearm double wall stainless / Pumps  (Read 12438 times)

heat550

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 1994 200ss 2015 400dcss
    • View Profile
Re: sharkbite radiant style / sidearm double wall stainless / Pumps
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2017, 02:12:28 AM »

I wont let you know how long I searched ... :bash: Thanks Its much appreciated.. :thumbup:

Heat550

http://www.pexuniverse.com/pex-fittings Has 1" all copper sweat to pex adapters down at the bottom on the copper pipe adapter page. But brass has worked fine for me.

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2017, 03:50:45 AM »

:thumbup:
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2017, 03:58:51 AM »

Yes I just want to make sure Im getting the GPM By using a second pump . You say series do you mean one in front of the other ?
or one on the incoming and one on the out going ? Im still thinking of adding 2 small air ex changers in my system. Im 125 feet to boiler outside . head pressure would be my issue . My baseboard system 1 inch pex al pex from boiler then splits to 2 - 3/4 inch copper
and I have domestic water side arm .
on the pump output side theirs total 6-3/4  3 way zone valves and 1 -19x20 air exchanger in garage . Im pushing it thru lot of zone valves 65 feet of baseboards.. this same taco 011 that pressure checks 10 GPM .  this system is 20 years old . house is 2450 sqft counting up and down stairs . one level is 1225 spft . garage is about 600 sqft .
this my system Needs more heat to house subzero only holds 55-65f  and its a head scratch er.
 how to fix it or just install air ex changer and run duct work and make the baseboard system a plate ex changer secondary.
This was a great system until off peak electric started going up :) we used that for subzero days now it would cost to much .

other system Im installing were still ordering parts and fittings insul seal etc .  :thumbup:

Heat550

Putting 2 pumps in series will double the head pressure but the max gpm will be the same as one pump.
\

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2017, 07:41:37 AM »

I wont let you know how long I searched ... :bash: Thanks Its much appreciated.. :thumbup:

Heat550

http://www.pexuniverse.com/pex-fittings Has 1" all copper sweat to pex adapters down at the bottom on the copper pipe adapter page. But brass has worked fine for me.

I didn't notice that post before. If you just need a couple I would give them to you for the shipping cost. I have lots of them.

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2017, 07:44:00 PM »

Stacking pumps inline anywhere in the loop doubles the head pressure, but pushing v. pulling reduces the potential for cavitation.
If you're return water temp is low you're lacking in flow, if it's high I'd guess you don't have enough baseboard.
There's a pinch point somewhere, either in too long or too small of piping, or too few emitters.
I would usually break it up into primary / secondary loops... But hopefully you can tweak things and get some more heat.

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2017, 03:39:54 PM »

If you would happen to have a menards hardware store near you that is the place to go for any fittings you need.  Thy even carry a handful of pumps but they are somewhat more expensive.  They have 3 isles full of any size and type of fittings a guycan imagine.
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2017, 12:00:28 AM »

Ok yes I visited local Menards.. Now more head scratching . They didn't have copper 1 inch to pex.. but they did have 1 1/4  ball valves.
Now with this new install I'm doing he has a 50 foot run to the boiler. He's thinking he needs 100,000 BTUs he's heating 3800 sqft total that's counting upstairs downstairs and garage semi well insulated 1991 house . He has 22x22 air exchanger and stainless side arm for domestic water all 1 inch . Question is should I go to 1 1/4 pex Al pex from the boiler to house in the inul seal ? If I did is there a benefit. Because exchanger and side arm are only 1 inch and would I just run 1 1/4 to the pump or would I run 1 1/4 everywhere. And would the extra cash for 1 1/4 be worth it . In my old install 1 1/4 was not option years ago . So I never messed with 1 1/4. But I noticed 1 inch pex only delivers around 84,000 BTUs where this new install I'm doing we want to hit 100,000 BTUs. Any advise???

Heat550

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2017, 02:40:03 AM »

My thoughts-
A particular size of pipe does not deliver a fixed BTU rate, btu's are a combination of flow and temp drop (Dt). That big 22X22 coil can pull more than 100,000 btu's off a 1" Pex line if you counterflow the water to the airflow and make sure the air is spread out evenly through the finned area.
Might run a bit large Dt but 50' is a fairly short run so flow rates will be higher.
Not saying 1 1/4" is a bad thing but a short run is very different than a long one. And Pex-al-Pex is larger than regular Pex anyway.

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2017, 01:17:14 AM »

I might be looking at this wrong . But to get 10GPM . I would need 1 inch pex al pex to boiler and once in side garage I change over
to Pex OX barrier 1 1/4 . because 1 inch pex  ox barrier is only .875 inside . Why cant pipe just be size they call out . lol I know there some dam metric issue behind all this .  :bag:

Heat550

chart in attachment . 

http://www.pigsunlimited.com/resources/pigging-formulas/velocity-in-feet-per-second-fps-to-gallons-per-minutegpm/

used this link to figure out FPS  to GPM

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2017, 07:30:58 AM »

Why cant pipe just be size they call out . lol I know there some dam metric issue behind all this .  :bag:

It has nothing to do with metric. Most pex sold in the US is copper tubing size which is the same outside diameter as copper pipe. The wall thickness is 1/9th the diameter so as the size gets larger the ID get off by more..
Since they make fittings that are interchangable with copper and other types of CTS pipe, (sharkbite, compression, etc) there was no other way to do it.

Pex such as Logstor that is sold as 1" ID is actually just metric pipe that happens to be that size. The wall thickness is 1/11th the diameter so it can not handle as much pressure as the standard stuff.

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2017, 04:02:13 PM »

So is it best to go back to old school trusty 1 inch copper. Sure is pointing that way .. after looking at pex barrier 1 1/4 prices. What does the new intallers use ? Im mean ones that aren't limited to customers strange requests.  :thumbup:

Heat550

Smokeless

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster ss.
  • OWF Model: G-100, 200,400
    • View Profile
    • PCWoodBoilerSystems
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2017, 08:35:04 PM »

Heat 550.
  When I do a install in the northeast, I use the Logstor from the boiler to house then to 1"copper tube in basement. I rarely go with 1 1/4" pex. It is just as much as copper. Also use 1"long radius copper A/C 90deg fittings.  The 1" heater hose slides over the 1" copper tube. Copper looks better and has less droop.
Also Logstor specs out at 87psi. Should never see that on a open system.
Signature:
JD 401-c /Honda300atv/CAT 922-B/twofarmallCubs/2135 diesel Massey/8 chain saws/JMSloader/ 2017 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD
HeatMaster/Logstor  dealer for North east area NY VT NH MASS. Sales, installations, troubleshooting of hydronic systems and gasification issues.  Saratoga co, NY

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2017, 10:23:39 PM »

Heat 550.
  When I do a install in the northeast, I use the Logstor from the boiler to house then to 1"copper tube in basement. I rarely go with 1 1/4" pex. It is just as much as copper. Also use 1"long radius copper A/C 90deg fittings.  The 1" heater hose slides over the 1" copper tube. Copper looks better and has less droop.

I’m pretty sure most circulators used won’t build that kind of pressure anyways, they are meant for volume more than pressure. Now if somebody cheated and bought like a booster pump instead of a dedicated hydronic pump then maybe, but even well pumps max out at a certain pressure.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 05:58:24 AM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2017, 10:34:43 PM »

Heat 550.

I’m pretty sure most circulators used won’t build that kind of pressure anyways, they are meant for volume more than pressure. Now if somebody cheated out and bought like a booster pump instead of a dedicated hydronic pump then maybe, but even well pumps max out at a certain pressure.
I think he may have mentioned the pressure because of what I posted above. I didn't mean to imply that there was any problem with the pressure rating of the metric pex, just pointing out one of the reasons the standard pex had a smaller ID was because it has a thicker wall and it can take more pressure.

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2017, 08:43:51 PM »

Heat 550.

I’m pretty sure most circulators used won’t build that kind of pressure anyways, they are meant for volume more than pressure. Now if somebody cheated and bought like a booster pump instead of a dedicated hydronic pump then maybe, but even well pumps max out at a certain pressure.

75 psi for a well pump. 

I just wanted to mention to be a little careful purchasing pex AL pex.  I've seen it in more than one occasion where the inside pex actually bubbles over time separating from the aluminum and restricting flow.
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4