Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Strangest thing you’ve thought about or been asked if a OWB can heat  (Read 1619 times)

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions

So to clear the post topic up, whats the strangest thing you’ve thought about trying to heat with your OWB or for dealers what’s the strangest thing you’ve either done or been asked about if a OWB can heat it?

I’ve three that are kinda outside the norm.

First was for a honey room, needs to be 114 degrees F for the honey to flow well from the combs, but also needs to be able to hit 140 degrees F if the honey is froze or crystalized.

Back during the labor day festival I had a guy ask if he installed a OWB if he could heat his aquariums. Sounded like he had a 65, 125, and a 150 gallon aquarium. It could be done, just not sure its worth it. Decided on if something like that was attempted would need a separate loop and heater for each, as if you use a common heater and one loop for all the aquariums if you get one sick tank, your gonna have three sick tanks in no time. I have four atm myself. Two have been established for awhile and I use a set of common tools for them. Tongs, gravel vac, etc. I also have a 14 gallon we just set up with cherry shrimp, panda cory’s and a half-moon betta. Have a 29 gallon that has plants, fish and nerite snails in it that is under quarantine yet. Have separate tools for each, use a common gravel vac for those two but the 14 gallon is done first, then the quarantine, then the gravel vac goes on the back porch to sit in the sun for a week.

Last one is what I’m installing now, has a 30x40 pole barn, will be adding a 20x30 addition for a kiln room then another 20x30 to place his saw mill. The 30x30 will be his main work area and will be more environmentally managed than his house. He wants it at a steady 70 all winter. He’ll also be adding both a dehumidifier for the summer and a humidifier for the winter. He makes some really quality stuff, closer the moisture and temp stays all the time less swelling or shrinkage he has to deal with when building furniture.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 09:14:41 AM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
Re: Strangest thing you’ve thought about or been asked if a OWB can heat
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 09:17:55 AM »

Way back I remember heating a shed a lady raised parakeets in. Used a cast radiator as any thing else got pecked to pieces.
Did an auquaponic job last year but the customer wanted to finish it himself so I never saw the end result. He used submerged Pex to heat the Tilapia tanks .
We had a fellow heat his pool up to 100℉ and turned it green.... Think really big hot tub...

Had a customer who we hooked an MF20,000e to two big hydronic greenhouses who used a flat plate to heat a huge tank up to scalding temps, then flooded his growing media to sterilize it. Really cut down on disease.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 09:43:18 AM by E Yoder »
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
Re: Strangest thing you’ve thought about or been asked if a OWB can heat
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 09:00:17 PM »

Dude down the road had me bury 3/4 pex in the black dirt under his greenhouse which he keeps at 90 degrees year-round

I myself have heated towel bars, bathroom mirrors, and countertops in the house, because I can

Buddy had a hot tub on a trailer that we'd pull out on my apron once in awhile and heat off a big ass homemade barrel exchanger off my boiler loop to get the ladies naked after a few beers

Not off the OWB, but on more than one occasion I've installed in-floor heat in fish houses