Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Stihl MS193C Chainsaw  (Read 2090 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Stihl MS193C Chainsaw
« on: November 25, 2017, 01:46:03 PM »

Hi all, I hope you can help.  If not, I'll have to bring it to the local business from whom I purchased it.  I purchased the saw a couple of weeks ago, mainly for trimming and limbing.  I've put about 2 tanks of gas through her.  I was using it yesterday morning trimming up around our stonewall and she started to die out.  I figured it need gas because I'd been using it a while.  So I open the gas tank cap and it still has about 1/4 tank of gas. That's odd.  But seeing I had the cap off the tank I topped her off and filled the bar and chain oil reservoir.  I go to start it and it won't start.  I figure I flooded her so I hold the throttle wide open.  She starts but the motor oscillates up and down, coughs and then quits.  I try to start it again but it won't fire, so again I hold the throttle wide open and it starts, but once again, the motor oscillates, coughs and then quits.  Well I had work to do so I grab my MS 311 and finish the job.  The MS311 has the same gas as the MS103C.  So this morning I want to use the MS193C due to it's light weight; it's a great saw for trimming.  I set the choke, prime it like the directions say (Yes, I read the directions) and pull the rope.  She fires up but quits almost immediately.  I tried starting it again.  The motor starts but only for a brief moment before it quit.  It will not stay running, the motor will oscillate, cough and then quit.  Any ideas?  This saw has a 4 year warranty on her so if it means tearing into it, I'm taking to the dealer who sold it to me.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Re: Stihl MS193C Chainsaw
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 02:42:22 PM »

Sounds like this started suddenly? Pull the plug and take a look at it, what color is it? Is it Wet or dry after you start it briefly. Sounds like to me that it is running out of fuel. When you start it are you starting it with choke or not? Take a look at the air filter and make sure that it isn't plugged up with dust, I doubt it but take a look.

So here is my list of possiblities with your symptoms in my opinion.
Dieing plug that fails to fire under a load
Loss of fuel pressure to carb because the impulse hose has a tear or the fuel filter is plugged.
Possible low speed/high speed needle adjustment issue on the carb

These are some basics. Check the plug first for some direction on where the issue lies.

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 02:54:04 PM »

Sounds like a fuel issue which means that something needs to be adjusted, cleaned, or replaced.  At this point, I would take it to the dealer and let them fix it under warranty.  Hopefully, after that, you will have many trouble free years. 
Muskoka, Ont

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 04:47:56 PM »

Sounds like this started suddenly? Pull the plug and take a look at it, what color is it? Is it Wet or dry after you start it briefly. Sounds like to me that it is running out of fuel. When you start it are you starting it with choke or not? Take a look at the air filter and make sure that it isn't plugged up with dust, I doubt it but take a look.

So here is my list of possiblities with your symptoms in my opinion.
Dieing plug that fails to fire under a load
Loss of fuel pressure to carb because the impulse hose has a tear or the fuel filter is plugged.
Possible low speed/high speed needle adjustment issue on the carb

These are some basics. Check the plug first for some direction on where the issue lies.

Honda - Yes, this problem came on suddenly without warning.  I inspected the air filter and it's nice and clean.  I did not look in the plug hole.  Being a brand new saw, only 2 weeks old, I can't imagine the fuel filter is dirty, but crazier thing have happened.  I have not touched the carb, yet.  Thanks for the tips.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 04:53:21 PM »

Sounds like a fuel issue which means that something needs to be adjusted, cleaned, or replaced.  At this point, I would take it to the dealer and let them fix it under warranty.  Hopefully, after that, you will have many trouble free years.

Boilerhouse, I have next Friday off so I hope to have time to get it to dealer from whom I purchased it.  I got the 4 year warranty due to purchasing Stihl's "special blend" (sounds like coffee) synthetic oil and a promise to only use non-ethanol gas in it, which I've been doing for a while now.  The weird part is the MS311 is using the same gas/oil mixture as the MS193C.  I'll keep everyone posted when I learn the problem.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 08:01:23 AM »

Update in this saw - I brought to the dealer from whom I purchased it.  He tried starting it but he had no either.  He brought to the repair shop area and it took two of his mechanics 20 minutes to get it going.  It was operator (me) malfunction that caused the problem; I flooded it so badly that they had to take the spark plug out, with one guy pulling on the recoil rope the other used a small flame to burn off the unburned fuel.  They replaced the spark plug with a new one, because the old was fowled so bad.  Once I learn this thing, it should run as good as my MS311.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire