Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Rude/ ungrateful children rant  (Read 7033 times)

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Rude/ ungrateful children rant
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 10:36:56 AM »

I asked a friend that’s in the tin knockers why they keep hiring so many pre-apprentices when they have apprentices and journeyman out of work. His reply was out of ten your lucky to get three that actually show up everyday, if your lucky 2 out of those 3 will actually show up on time everyday.

He sent one to get a measurement, the kid comes back with its “37 and 7 little marks long”.

So most can’t even show up on time let alone everyday then can’t even read a tape measure when they are their.

Schools need to drop some of these fluff classes and actually offer useful everyday things, like how to be a decent human being, how to read a tape measure, how to get out of bed on time, how to balance a checkbook, etc, which is bullcrap as most of that the parents should be taking care of at home.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 11:13:01 AM »

Hit the nail on the head there! Literally 95% of tasks a tradesman does, require the use of a tape measure and the amount of guys that can't read one is astounding. What possessed you to join a construction trade if you can't read a tape and don't care to learn? I had a 45 year old guy last year that didn't even know what a tape measure was! Those basic skills classes will never happen because there is nobody to teach them. How many adults do you know that can actually balance a checkbook? My mother is the only other adult that I know who can do it, besides myself, and I learned it from her lol. My friends are all approaching 30 or better, and literally zero of them understand it. Funny part is, quite a few of them own their own businesses. Just pay their CPA at the end of the year to balance it for them. My brother for example is almost 21, lives at home, and dad still wakes him up for work every morning. I jack him up about it all the time but he's insistent that the kid would never get up otherwise. How's he gonna learn?! I was on my ass at 18 and yeah, I was late quite a few times from being hungover and whatnot, which got me sent home or a short paycheck or whatever. A guy will never learn unless there is some sort of consequence.

Jon_E

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G200 Gasifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 01:23:33 PM »

I'm the only one with kids in my family, and every one of them has gotten the ass-kicking they've deserved at one time or another.  My oldest is 26 and an Eagle Scout, aside from being one of the most self-centered people I've ever dealt with, he's a hard worker and unfailingly polite and respectful.  My middle son is a hard worker, charitable and respectful.  My oldest daughter is a wonderful person to everyone but her own family, and that is why she doesn't live at my house anymore.  Sometimes we just can't win some battles.  My youngest son, in spite of also being a Boy Scout and a really good kid, likes to tease his younger sister, and she is dealing with bullying issues at school.  It came to a head a few weeks ago and I let him have it, pushed him around, yelled at him, kinda gave him a taste of his own medicine.  I told him if he ever wanted to bully someone, go right ahead and pick on me or your uncle (who is 6-4 and 275#) and see where it gets you.  I cannot tolerate rude people, never mind little brats that belong to someone else. 

I remember as a kid, my dad's best friend from high school was up visiting and he brought his kids with him. The daughter was OK but the son was a holy terror and decided he was going to do whatever he wanted in our house.  My father said something to the kid and he got the whole "you're not my boss I don't have to listen to you" crap, so then Dad turned to his friend and said if you can't or won't control the little brat, then I hate to see you go but take your kid and get out.  The guy visited a couple times after that but always without the kids, and last I recall the kid was doing time.

As far as the OP's relatives, if those were my kids I would have burned every single gift in a big bonfire in the yard and forced them to sit there and watch it.  And that they have 364 days to get their Sh*t together or it will happen again.  No the kids are probably not 100% to blame but the parents are enablers and that's the worst kind. 
Firewood collector and hot water enthusiast.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2017, 01:28:36 PM »

Basically in a nutshell too many parents want to be their kids best friend instead of a parent to the kid. Parents have to say NO a lot, best friends rarely. Least that’s how I see it.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2017, 04:37:39 PM »

Basically in a nutshell too many parents want to be their kids best friend instead of a parent to the kid. Parents have to say NO a lot, best friends rarely. Least that’s how I see it.

:thumbup:

Buckeyenut

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 5036
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2017, 03:44:13 AM »

Mr. Maple, God help me if anyone show's up and has those words for me! But that child would of had absolutely nothing the rest of it's time with me. They would have there roof over their head, they would get clothes and they would be properly feed! Period! Nothing extra at all. They think they had it bad, they would know the meaning of no having anything. Wreckit I feel your pain, I actually asked my step sister to leave our Christmas party at my house last year because of her youngest throwing a tantrum because he didn't win a game. To my surprise was my Dad saying that I was taking it to far and needed to stay out of it. My response was you would have busted my ass or her ass when we were going up and the only reason for his actions were he never has had his butt spanked in his life. I'm talking about a spanking, my Dad beat us and there is the difference! I respected his authority and what he said was what we all did. My 3 children were raised with plenty of spankings in their life, and to my surprise when they left my 3 responded, WOW he is spoiled Dad. Glad I did my job.

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2017, 07:44:30 AM »

Growing up we kids (nine of us) never got a monetary allowance, what we got was a roof over our heads, warmth in the winter time, 3 hot meals in our bellies everyday of the week.  We were also taught manners (God forbid if you spoke out of turn or if you talked back to anyone in authority, especially school teachers) and to eat with our mouths shut.   

I work at an institution for higher learning, an Ivy League college.  Believe it or not, if students pick engineering as a major we have a course called Engineering Sciences 01 (ES01).  This course teaches students what a screw driver is, the different types and their applications; same goes for tape measures, wrenches, etc... any hand tool you can put your hands on it's taught in this course.  Then they are tasked with disassembling something, analyze the parts and how they interact with the other parts and reassemble everything.  What I was taught at the age of 4 or 5 years old, we have to teach kids the age of 17, 18, or even in their 20's.  Don't even get me started on their math skills without their cell phones or calculators in hand; basic math skills cannot be done in their heads!  I was taught to do that when I was in grade school!   Roger       
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2017, 09:26:47 AM »

Growing up we kids (nine of us) never got a monetary allowance, what we got was a roof over our heads, warmth in the winter time, 3 hot meals in our bellies everyday of the week.  We were also taught manners (God forbid if you spoke out of turn or if you talked back to anyone in authority, especially school teachers) and to eat with our mouths shut.   

I work at an institution for higher learning, an Ivy League college.  Believe it or not, if students pick engineering as a major we have a course called Engineering Sciences 01 (ES01).  This course teaches students what a screw driver is, the different types and their applications; same goes for tape measures, wrenches, etc... any hand tool you can put your hands on it's taught in this course.  Then they are tasked with disassembling something, analyze the parts and how they interact with the other parts and reassemble everything.  What I was taught at the age of 4 or 5 years old, we have to teach kids the age of 17, 18, or even in their 20's.  Don't even get me started on their math skills without their cell phones or calculators in hand; basic math skills cannot be done in their heads!  I was taught to do that when I was in grade school!   Roger     

It's a shame you need to teach an adult those things, but at least somebody has noticed that it's necessary and did something about it! I wish every school would implement those courses. As for the monetary allowance, yeah, my brother and sister got one but I did not because I had the ambition to go get a job. Rode my bike over to the neighbor's to split wood 8 hours a day when I was 11, and the summer before that I was dropped off at my grandma's in the morning and mowed lawns around town all day for some cash. My dad provided the mower and gas, so I did get to make all profit, but I worked my nuts off for it and kept both of those jobs until I was 15 and bought myself a brand new Kawasaki Prairie 700 with my earnings. Gave up the lawn mowing and picked up a payroll job for $8 an hour washing restaurant equipment and running forklift in the warehouse, but still split wood evenings and weekends driving my wheeler all over before I had a license. No cell phone, no free car, no allowance, no nothing while my sister had her car insurance even paid for until she was 25, not to mention 4 years of college and 2 nice vehicles in the meantime. That $100 lawnmower dad bought me when I was 10 I think was a little cheaper than the $100,000 they wasted on making her into a snowflake. Perks of being the first-born maybe. I certainly wouldn't be where I am if I were spoiled like that though, I know that much. Takes some ass busting to make a person appreciate what they've got

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2017, 12:29:57 PM »

god damn generation I tell yea......FUCKED

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2017, 05:08:42 PM »

Once I got old enough I made $2/hour working on the farm. Was doing any job that the adults were before I was in middle school. Takes a lot of hours to buy a new rear tire when I was racing dirt bikes.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2017, 03:16:48 AM »

My dad (died 2006) told us that when we were just kids, if he had something that he had to fix he always had us kids around to learn.  He said when we were 4 or5 years old he would hand one of us a wrench and ask us to loosen a bolt for him.  He said it comical to watch us put everything we had into trying to remove it.  He'd watch for a few minutes and then he take over.  He always gave us credit because he wouldn't have been able to remove so easily so must have loosened it.  Of course he said we would walk around with our chest pumped out and strut a bit.  Positive reinforcement is a huge thing especially in a little kid's mind.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2017, 04:58:39 AM »

I've got four children, and think about things like this a lot... Who the parent is is so big.
I've got a two year old that will about go funny if I use a wrench and he doesn't get a turn. Loves the tick tick of a gear wrench. :) knows what pumps and flat plates are. They are what you make them.
 I remember Dad putting me in the old skidder with me barely knowing how to shut it off, heart thumping, lurching down the hill... . Using an electronic device isn't the same.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2017, 09:38:52 AM »

I've got four children, and think about things like this a lot... Who the parent is is so big.
I've got a two year old that will about go funny if I use a wrench and he doesn't get a turn. Loves the tick tick of a gear wrench. :) knows what pumps and flat plates are. They are what you make them.
 I remember Dad putting me in the old skidder with me barely knowing how to shut it off, heart thumping, lurching down the hill... . Using an electronic device isn't the same.

Ha, I remember those days. I was feeding hay with the Bobcat or hauling wagons with the B Farmall as a 5 year old. Looking back, that was insane. Most 5 year olds I see now I'm afraid they might get hurt walking up the stairs, much less running heavy equipment. Heck, as a 27 year old 2 years ago when Gramps sold the farm I drove that B to my dad's place down the road and struggled with it lol. Damn snowflake forgot how to drive a tractor!

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2017, 12:54:58 PM »

We weren't that young driving tractors.  I think dad go us started on them when we reached about 10 or 12 years old.  He kinda figured that they don't go that fast so the chances of it overturning or throwing you was rather slim.  Plus, if he found out we rough housing it, that put an end to driving them until it was proven that you were man enough to do it right.

The funniest thing I ever saw/heard was my neighbor's son was just a teenager.  It was hot day and their lawn needed mowing so mom asked her son to mow the lawn.  I could hear their conversation all the way to my house; "it's too hot out, I don't want to" so instead of mom arguing with her son she decided to mow it herself.  So here I am minding my own business mowing my lawn when she comes out of her house wearing a bikini.  Talk about a distraction!  I nearly drove over the embankment due to not watching where I was going.  Needless to say I don't think there was a blade of grass that was out of place on my lawn; I must have mowed it 10 times.  Roger     
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2017, 01:40:59 PM »

I could hear their conversation all the way to my house; "it's too hot out, I don't want to" so instead of mom arguing with her son she decided to mow it herself. 

Don’t want to or not going to do it was one of many things my little brother and I NEVER said to our parents, you were told to do something and you did it, no arguing about it, no temper tantrums or any of the other happy crap kids pull these days.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

Pages: 1 [2] 3