Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 10:23:09 AM 
Started by CountryBoyJohn - Last post by E Yoder
Makes sense on the ammonia. I've never messed with pool chemicals.

A 3x8" 30 plate ($100 or less on eBay) can heat a good sized pool pretty quickly.

on: Today at 09:40:01 AM 
Started by CountryBoyJohn - Last post by CountryBoyJohn
I get ammonia contamination in my pool about once a year as a reaction to field spraying.  In this instance, ammonia consumes chlorine that keeps the pool sanitary.  The only way to kill ammonia in the pool is to completely overwhelm it with chlorine.  It's a pain and usually costs $100 in chlorine shock every time it happens. 

I've considered the cheap way too, with a hose and a small pump.  The heat exchanger I have on my list is nearly $400, plus all the new plumbing I would have to do.  I'm on county water, so i don't have to pay septic rates.  It'll probably be a $150-$200 water bill this month.  Normally I'm at $35-$40 a month.

It's also illegal to burn coal in an outdoor wood stove in Indiana.  I won't say if I have or have not done that either.   >:D 

My closest neighbor is 0.15 miles away through thick woods.  We're good and he doesn't mind.  My next closest neighbor is over 1/4 mile away.  I've been burning for 5 years and no one has said anything. 

on: Today at 09:16:25 AM 
Started by CountryBoyJohn - Last post by mlappin
Technically in Indiana a OWB can only be used from Sept 15th till May 15th.

Long as you ainít got no nosey neighbors I ainít gonna tell.

If you were up here you would have to worry about your water bill, pool would probably be over filled by now. 

on: Today at 08:47:21 AM 
Started by CountryBoyJohn - Last post by E Yoder
The pool came up 78 degrees? Or up to 78 degrees I guess ? The boys will love it I bet!
I didn't follow you on the ammonia thing either.
I've used a small flat plate and submersible pump and garden hoses to pull a pool up to temp, then flush with fresh water to protect the flat plate from chemicals. Works great and is cheap.

on: Today at 08:34:24 AM 
Started by CountryBoyJohn - Last post by CountryBoyJohn
Well, I got her opened up (after a long battle with ammonia) she came up 78 degrees!  I didn't get an exact temp before, but I guarantee it was less than 70 degrees and it would've been at least another 2 weeks before we could have gotten in.  Now, I wait for my water bill!!   :o

on: May 20, 2018, 07:14:15 PM 
Started by patvetzal - Last post by MattyNH
I buy grapple wood every year. I get a good mixture of different wood species (oak,maple,beech,birch,ash)..I have got in the past a more of a certain specie..Either way the price is the price and sold as hardwood.. Not BTU. My last load was $850.

on: May 20, 2018, 09:23:56 AM 
Started by patvetzal - Last post by mlappin
Here river birch, white birch and paper birch all make good campfire wood, dryís fast, has a nice aroma and the snap crackle pop that people like. Sold a ton of it for campfire wood, not much good for heating though here. Maybe with your shorter growing season it grows slower and therefore denser.

on: May 20, 2018, 05:59:21 AM 
Started by d5knapp - Last post by shepherd boy
 A lot of chatter on facebook how good they look, just can't find anyone with experience running their MP or Pristine series.   No one burning?

on: May 20, 2018, 05:43:43 AM 
Started by patvetzal - Last post by Pointblank
Birch makes good firewood but you'll want to get it processed sooner than later. The bark tends to hold the moisture in and it can get punky pretty quick depending on climate. Get it cut up and split though, and it'll make good firewood.

on: May 19, 2018, 11:21:31 PM 
Started by patvetzal - Last post by RSI
Birch seems to rot much quicker than something like oak. Usually the dead standing trees here are pretty much worthless. If it is put inside and kept dry it seems to be really good firewood.

I cut one down once and as it was hitting the ground, I saw sparks. It landed on a fence and a tee post went right through it and just punched a round hole through it. The sparks were from the barbed wires being slid down the post

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10