Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Mid Season Maintenance: added firebrick and new air baffle  (Read 3995 times)

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
Mid Season Maintenance: added firebrick and new air baffle
« on: February 01, 2016, 05:34:21 AM »

we had warmer temps this past weekend here in MI, so i let the stove run dry and added firebrick to the bottom of the firebox and also put in a new baffle that i made up at the shop. I had 2 boxes of firebrick that were left over from another project so i figured why not use them: I placed six bricks the long ways on each side of the grates. I made sure they were nice and level with the grates. SO i used 12 bricks in total, which was exactly how many i had. I then packed sand around the outside and all spots that were a bit low. The other things i did was switch out the air baffle in the back for a custom made one that i fabricated at the shop out of some stainless i had laying around. the old baffle sat almost to the top of the firebox and blew air down onto the fire to push gasses back into the fire....it worked great in theory but i personally found it not to be that effective. If i didnt empty the ash pan every 2 days i got no fire to the back of the firebox So, i just made a shorter baffle that blows air onto the coal bed area. I used the same specs as the old baffle, just shortened the throat on it...so far it is working GREAT!!! i have only been using it for a few days...im waiting on next weeks cold weather to really put it to the test. If it doesnt work long term ill put the old one back in, its simple and easy to swap them out. I have attached a few pics.

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
Re: Mid Season Maintenance: added firebrick and new air baffle
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 05:36:50 AM »

i also have noticed a few added degrees of heatsink after shutdown since adding the firebrick to the bottom....to early to tell for sure, it could jsut be the warmer weather...we shall see!

heat550

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 1994 200ss 2015 400dcss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 02:07:38 PM »

Looks great. Is that back baffle how they use to make the 400 years ago.  only guessing
They changed it thinking there going to reburn gases . But on to my second guess . was
Keeping heat in for more heat transfer. See if its a noticeable wood increase. Yes should
Burn hotter. On to a crazier thought.  Couldn't a person add longer flat steel top on back shoot
Only part of shoot .To insure part of the air went in ash box from back fan. Don't know if it cause issues but
It would inject under wood also. This would help as ash built up in ash box in the back side.
I notice ash always fills up in center of ash pit. This leave ash pit sides open for air flow.
So like 3 inch flat steel on each side of shoot that lines up with grate holes. Look in ash clean out
When its half full of ash you'll see what I mean. Its all about performance. :thumbup:

Mark

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 05:35:34 AM »

so far i havent seen an increase in wood usage....matter of fact it is burning much more evenly.... ash is even in the ash tube for once. the old style 400 just had a air box in the back that blew air similar to this one, but without the hood i put on. REason for the hood was to keep stuff from flying down by the blower. so far it seems to work great. definitely burning hott as hell. I have a few other ideas i might try, one being an air baffle that shoots air out and also about. I will just have to make it. Fun part about this stove is i can try different things and always go back to the original if i want with no issues :) its a quick switch out. i DEFINITELY would recommend the firebrick on the bottom....MAN what a difference in heatsink after shut down...gaining 2° minimum

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 05:43:29 AM »

man, I really miss this stove! I hope the new owners are enjoying it as much as I did!

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 03:07:53 AM »

Why did you move ??? If I have to move 400 coming with :)  :thumbup:

Heat550

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 04:45:19 AM »

more property for the animals and more privacy for us.  from 5 acres to 40 acres

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 08:50:16 PM »

Wow so now you have to install another boiler ?

Heat550