Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Does anyone put a roof over their OWB?  (Read 9243 times)

greasemonkoid

• OWF Model: NCB175
  • wnc mountains
    • View Profile
Does anyone put a roof over their OWB?
« on: January 30, 2018, 04:22:21 PM »

I've been hard at work on my install and was pondering this. Don't think I've seen a single picture of anyone putting a roof or carport over their boiler. It seems like it would offer a lot as far as keeping electronics, wires, and insulation dry. Splash up from the ground already looks like it may be problematic in the long run. Also the advantage of having a covered area to maintain and reload the unit.

My NCB175 has no insulation on the belly, which seems bizarre, but I will be adding some. Now if that gets wet, then the purpose is null and void.

So it is apparent that finding a carport of such a small size is hard to come by, looks like I'll have to build it myself.

Just wondering what the general consensus was.

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone put a roof over their OWB?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 04:58:27 PM »

My Heatmor sits on a concrete pad with bubble foil insulation between the boiler and concrete per the installation instructions.  No splashing up from the ground or worrying about insulation getting wet (silicone caulking between the concrete and boiler base). 

At my last house, I built a roof that covered my wood and half of the boiler so that the chimney wasn't under the roof but the loading door was.  It was nice.  I'll do the same here at some point, eventually. 

There is a guy down the road from me who put his whole boiler under a large roof and everything under the roof is concrete.  He ran his chimney through the roof and it's open on all sides with wood stacked in under there.  It's a nice setup on level ground with no trees around.   

Range91

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ultimizer 34-44 shaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 05:49:52 PM »

My setup

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 07:02:23 PM »

Mine is in a 21x40 fully enclosed shed with concrete floor. Had it outside for 1 year and would rather burn gas than do that again. Your wet bottom ordeal would dry itself within short order if it were somehow going to get wet due to the heat from the firebox, but I agree that should be insulated and enclosed. The top of the boiler should keep everything but the splash from touching the bottom if it were to rain or whatever, which ought to be minimal anyhow

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 07:09:47 PM »

From a service and safety perspective I much prefer the unit outdoors but I understand the "in the dry" convenience.
I've seen too many units with firewood packed so tight you couldn't replace a pump or fan. I rewire/plumb a couple  burnt units per year due to spilled ashes inside a very dry shed. Cleaning a tall chimney plugged with creosote is a joy :)...
Interestingly, it seems to me that units outside are cleaner because fly ash washes off instead of sitting on the roof.
Anyway, I do realize we don't have the snow down here to deal with like some of you guys do further north and it would look different in different situations. Climate is a big factor. Not trying to be overly negative, just emphasizing indoor installations can introduce unexpected things sometimes.
The floor of the unit should be insulated... As was mentioned it should dry out quickly and cladding should be designed to shed water. Maybe some caulk in some cracks might help.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 07:45:39 PM by E Yoder »
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

schoppy

• OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 08:13:19 PM »

Here are a couple of pictures of my setup. I wouldn't do it any other way and my wife wouldn't fill it if it were totally outside. I had a cement dog pen that I put a metal garage structure over. You can't see both of them but I have 7 foot overhead doors on two sides. I am building firewood carriers so I will be able to bring in wood with my tractors front end loader. Only handling the wood once from splitter to carrier and tractor to shed.

My G200 is about half way in the building allowing me to operate the damper lever inside and ash lever for the tubes outside. I moved my red low temp warning light to an enclosed housing outside and it works great being able to see it from the house. I can store 5 to 6 full cords of wood in the building which I keep up on pallets, about half of my winter needs. 

I now have my exhaust vent fan exiting the building on the side to the left of the OWB which wasn't in the one picture at the time. With the exhaust fan there is no smoke issue when loading the stove having it inside.   

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:26:19 PM by schoppy »
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

greasemonkoid

• OWF Model: NCB175
  • wnc mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 05:52:16 AM »

Thanks for the pic, ideas, and experiences. After some hard searching it is evident that a small metal building can be had for slightly more than building materials alone to do a roof, so this is a strong option for me. Wood will not be stored in the same room, one spark lands in a pile of dry bark...

bowhunter79

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Natured Comfort
  • OWF Model: 175
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 07:37:19 AM »

I have the same boiler as you and the guy who installed mine put some tin around the base to cover it up.  Looked pretty easy to do when he did it but he brought the pieces already pre-cut. 

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 08:05:54 AM »

Here's a pic of my setup and I love it.
I bought one of those carport frames from Menards, then covered it with leftover steel I had from a pole barn build.  I put the front of the stove flush with the front wall of the carport and sealed all sides except for the rear so it's got a big opening for loading in the rear.  I use a heavy roll up tarp on the back to keep the rain, snow and wind out.  I have lights on the ceiling in there, and it's pretty much a pleasure to load it when I compare it to having to dig wood out from under a tarp like I use to do.
I still need to finish closing the front up, and trimming it out as you can see in the picture though.

I wouldn't want to put the stove even a little inside the "shed" but only because I'd rather use every square inch I can for wood storage.  The stove is made to be completely exposed to the weather, so I let it be.  I also wouldn't want to waste the money on a fully concrete slab in the shed since it'll just get covered with bark anyways.  I take a skid steer in from the back side when it's empty and back drag the bark out.  I'm surprised by how deep the bark is every time I do it.

I did pour a small 4X4 slab in front of the door so it wouldn't get muddy, but that was really for when I didn't have it covered.  I guess I'd still put that small slab in front of the door if I was going to cover it though.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 08:08:57 AM by Scratch »
Hudson, WI

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 08:35:15 AM »

I covered mine with a building.

Muskoka, Ont

schoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 09:57:59 PM »

That is exactly why I like my cement floor Scratch (besides non-combustible). The bark is so easy to clean up as my wood is used and the pallets it was stacked on are taken out. I burn all the bark up besides as it is dry from being inside.

The way the G200 is laid out on the left side (as you face the loading door) the unit works best half way in an enclosure. The exhaust fan is a must for me as you would still get plenty of smoke inside even with the bypass damper.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 11:01:10 PM »

Schoppy, have you ever compared how much smoke is coming out the door when loading with the door to your shop open and closed? I have been wondering if that would make a big difference with the stove in a sealed building. Seems like with the door closed, especially with the exhaust hood blower running, it would be fighting the draft inducer on the stove.

Bud Man

• OWF Brand: P&M
  • OWF Model: BL 2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 06:06:34 PM »

I put my woodburner under a 20x20 carport. Cut a hole in the roof for the chimney. I store my wood on hayracks and park one beside my furnace. This way my wood stays dry and is close by. When I empty a rack I pull it out and back in a new one. I will try to post some pics but I have to take some first. BTW, my carport has sides but no front or back and is on a cement slab from a building I tore down. Bark, wood trash, etc isn't a problem if you clean it up occasionally.
Livin' on a long and lonesome highway east of Omaha.

schoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 09:37:13 PM »

Yes I have RSI, I only turn on my exhaust fan when I see smoke coming out the loading door. My building is far from air tight (LOL) and I do usually leave my door partially open. Most of the time I do get smoke coming out especially by the time I am done filling the unit, I have to reset the bypass damper anyway. 
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

wreckit87

• OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 06:59:47 AM »

Different stove obviously, with no bypass, but mine doesn't make a bit of difference with the door open or not. Building is also not very tight, but it'll fill the building with smoke in short order if there's any wood left to smolder when I open the door. When I had the smoke hood above, it did work fairly well at capturing most of it but the fan was small and overworked, therefore sh!t the bed in pretty short order so I'm waiting on ambition to build a new one with a bigger fan
Pages: [1] 2 3