Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Rubber heater hose?  (Read 4726 times)

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Rubber heater hose?
« on: February 13, 2018, 04:35:53 PM »

I have heard of a lot of people using heater hose with outdoor boilers but have never tried it. I need to connect a portable / movable heater and pex won't work. I thought about using unions and just disconnecting it when not in use but would get air in the system every time.
It will be connected to the pressurized side of an indoor boiler system. Will there be any problem with the hose holding up? I would be using 3/4" hose coming off a 3/4" pex line.
Is there anything else that would work better?

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Rubber heater hose?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 07:28:33 PM »

Vehicle cooling systems run at a minimum of 15lbs anymore…..
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 07:36:45 PM »

The one of which we do not speak, uses heater hose all the time on his underground to boiler connections and A/W exchangers. I hate to condone anything Dick does, but it obviously holds up in automotive applications at 16-24 PSI and 200+ degrees for dozens of years so it can't be all bad

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 07:57:06 PM »

Yes Dick uses it, he suggested it to me. I have it for the connection between my underground lines and my pump flanges. Three years strong at this point. I have seen  Dicky use long pieces to hook up boilers temporarily to his workshop.

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 08:01:45 PM »

I am also using heater hose for my underground line to pump flange connections.  Also, the door of the Heatmor boiler uses heater hose from the factory to put a water jacket in the door. 

greasemonkoid

• OWF Model: NCB175
  • wnc mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 08:18:09 PM »

There's always the silicone heater hose option for those who desire a lifetime material.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 08:23:21 PM »

I wouldn’t be afraid of heater hose, its pretty tough stuff. Only thing that I’ve seen eat it up is if it’s not supported and then it will eventually fail at the nipple or the other thing I know for a fact is biodiesel just eats the stuff. All it takes is a slow drip of a fuel system leaking on the hose and it eventually turns to something akin to sponge rubber. Shouldn’t never run into either on a OWB.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

heat550

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 1994 200ss 2015 400dcss
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 01:56:54 AM »

It's all about time . I had heater hose in my shop 2-5ft long for 17 years never leaked but they were never moved either was hose that was red 3/4 pushed on 3/4 copper. If I used it again I will use silicone hose should be good for life time. But when I took hose out it was pretty stiff after 17 years of cooking . I put silicone hose on my Heatmor water cooled door ..but thing is how many years will it last . It's still soft after 3 years ..? lol door moves hose all the time.

Heat550

dutch

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: portage & main
  • OWF Model: bl-28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 11:37:20 AM »

been using 1'' silicone heater hose as a flex point between boiler and underground for 5 years now , still flexible.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 12:41:14 PM »

Ok, I guess I will give it a try. I am going to just use regular heater hose for now. I am not sure how permanent this will be.

Jon_E

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G200 Gasifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 02:17:57 PM »

Heater hose on my system too.  Brass barbed fitting on the PEX, short stub of copper to the hose, then back to copper and then to the pump flange.  Only a year for me but it looks solid.  I am going to use the silicone hose for my garage connection if I ever get to that point.   ::)
Firewood collector and hot water enthusiast.

heat550

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 1994 200ss 2015 400dcss
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 04:20:29 AM »

Here is my thinking my car has all silicone heater hoses and cap on that car is 18 PSI  its got 83,000 miles on it there original . Now boiler never going to torch er a hose as much as on a car . and think of a motor home with 454 and pulling 13,000 lbs all the time and they don't have silicone hoses either I know with air conditioner on temp will hold 200f for hours on end .. temp up and down is harder on them than  like a semi just hot all the time . also to make a person think I had to change heater hose in 1978 took off original heater hose gm clamps on motor home in 2003 . the rubber had to be scraped off all connections just baked on never leaked hard as rock at 120,000 miles . Van style you know how hot them get daully model. there was vacuum lines that turn to dust if you rubbed them in your hand lol . never seen anything like it . lots traveling to southern states also. myself I was surprised more guys don't use silicone heater hose on there boilers . You could put steel bradeing on if you think a critter would chew on them would be the only issue I can think of I seen chipmunks do some crazy chewing when there freaked out LOL

Heat550

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 06:16:09 AM »

I also have 1" heater hose from my underground to my boiler supply and return. I used the sweat x o-ring adapters on the logstor then clamped the heater hose onto about a 6" piece of copper and ran it up about 12" in the back of the boiler and connected it to the copper I had there. Never had any leaks or issues.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

MD20/20

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: 325G
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 09:16:03 AM »

Could one use pex al pex in lieu of heater hose? It's pliable and holds its shape
Central MD

racnruss

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort gt-220 sold P&M Optimizer 250 sold now Heatmaster 10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 05:34:03 PM »

I have 3/4 heater hose from the wall in my garage to my homemade water to air hx that heats the garage.  no problems.  This also allows me to move the heater a bit without disconnecting it when I sweep the floor.
Tree service Owner/Operator since 1997.  Central Iowa.