Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Water Loss  (Read 6719 times)

lasasj

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 1450
    • View Profile
Water Loss
« on: April 20, 2014, 08:57:02 AM »

The water gauge is showing the water lower than what I started with at the beginning of the season.  I've checked everything outside and in my basement for leaks and can't find a drop of water leaking anywhere.  Is it typical to lose water to evaporation...etc?

Also, I noticed a small spot of discoloration on the plate that's mounted on main door.  May be rust.  Anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks,

Jasan
CB-1450

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
Re: Water Loss
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 09:34:44 AM »

How low is it, how much have you had to add? But yes they will evaporate some water out during use.
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 03:51:40 PM »

The water gauge is showing the water lower than what I started with at the beginning of the season.  I've checked everything outside and in my basement for leaks and can't find a drop of water leaking anywhere.  Is it typical to lose water to evaporation...etc?

Also, I noticed a small spot of discoloration on the plate that's mounted on main door.  May be rust.  Anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks,

Jasan
CB-1450

lasasj - Is your OWB shut down for the season?  Are you still using it?  If it's shut down, there will be a noticeable drop in the water level.  If you're still using it, keep your eye on it when you put wood in it.  If it doesn't go down, I don't think you have anything to worry about and it may be just evaporation.  As for the discoloration; can you post a picture of it?  I'd be interested what the discoloration looks like.  Other than the above concerns, how did your 1450 operate for you this year?  Mine ran like a charm even through the brutally cold days and nights.  I am truly amazed by these things.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

lasasj

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 08:24:49 PM »

It is currently running but was shut down for a month or so.  The boiler ran great all winter, but I decided to shut it down to burn the rest of the oil in my tank in my basement (the tank is very old and I didn't want 200 gallons sitting there for a year or several years.)  When I fired the CB-1450 up again this week the water level was close to the bottom (as I expected), however after reaching full temp it was only at 3/4, and it started at a little over full at the beginning of the season... maybe 1 1/8.  3/8 loss seems like a lot to me, but I can't find a leak or sign of water anywhere. 

I'll attach a photo of the door.

lasasj

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 08:26:37 PM »

Also, I plan on shutting it down in a couple weeks and giving it a good cleaning for the summer.  Any tips? 

Jwood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 09:26:24 PM »

Burn your last fire with dry wood make sure its not a smoldering fire then just clean all the nooks and crannies and then some tranny fluid diluted with enough diesel fuel to make it sprayable then spray the inside of your firebox. Also clean your stack!
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 04:34:42 AM »

It is currently running but was shut down for a month or so.  The boiler ran great all winter, but I decided to shut it down to burn the rest of the oil in my tank in my basement (the tank is very old and I didn't want 200 gallons sitting there for a year or several years.)  When I fired the CB-1450 up again this week the water level was close to the bottom (as I expected), however after reaching full temp it was only at 3/4, and it started at a little over full at the beginning of the season... maybe 1 1/8.  3/8 loss seems like a lot to me, but I can't find a leak or sign of water anywhere. 

I'll attach a photo of the door.

I don't have an answer about the water level being low.  All I can offer is keep an eye on it occasionally see if it drops anymore.  As for the discoloration on the door; mine looks the same.  It's been that way since my first year heating with it.  I believe it may be a "hot" spot where the fire got quite hot and discolored the door panel a bit. 

As for tips for the summer time shut down; I scrape the firebox with the wonder tool CB provided me when it was delivered to get all of the creosote removed.  I believe your OWB has the removable corner panels - take them off and scrape all surfaces clean; get as much of the creosote buildup out of all the corner (I spend quite a bit time on this part - I'm concerned that this is a potential area for a leak to occur if not cleaned thoroughly).  Be sure you clean any creosote from the primary air holes.  I remove my refractory panels, remove and clean the combustion chamber (before reassemble it, coat it heavily with oil).  Scrape the creosote buildup from the door and coat with oil.  I also put a film oil on the door gasket.  Don't forget to clear any creosote from the by-pass door (I also apply a coat of oil to the by-pass door gasket.  Clean the chimney thimble of ash buildup. Scrape the heat exchanger of ash buildup.  I apply a degreaser to the outside of the OWB, let it set for a couple of minutes and then take my power washer to it.  It does a pretty good job of removing any grime from it.  If I have forgotten something I'll post it.   Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

ST98

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 03:28:22 PM »

Do you scrape all the way to bare metal?

Jack72

• OWF Model: E-1450 (11)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 07:09:08 PM »

Good job Roger on the cleaning.
 Don't forgot about your exchanger tubes (7 on the 1450). and solenoids spray lubricant so they open and close freely also remove elbows on solenoids and clean out cresote    Also put some electric motor oil in the fan motor may have to remove to access.    Shut off main breaker for summer storm power surges and possible brown outs on hot summer demand days     

I would double check all connections  do you have a underground splice        If not I wouldn't be concerned at this point on low water

St98 
I scrape as much as I can if I get to bare metal great   I coat with motor oil to protect bare metal it's hard to get to bare metal usually just at bottom top and sides usually have a light film that can't get all the way clean   I worry about the corners and the bottom mainly where cresote sits and eats and holds moisture
Jack
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:17:37 PM by Jack72 »
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern Tool 25 ton Splitter

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 03:45:27 AM »

Jack72 - I completely forgot about the solenoids and elbows.  Good call.  Where do you oil the blower motor?  I have never been to find an oil port.  But, I have never removed it to see where they are located either.  Perhaps I should and see where they are.  I have to admit that I'm ignorant when it comes to electric motors so, what's a good oil to use?  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

ST98

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 06:36:46 AM »

It be nice to pump it through a small hand pump pressurized sprayer. If you mix the oil with diesel to cut it a little will it take away from its rust prevention?

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 07:31:33 AM »

No it will not and it can be sprayed with a simple spray bottle available at any hardware store.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Jwood

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 09:17:16 AM »

Diesel fuel leaves an oily residue, I know first had because I'm always washing it off the side of my truck when the fuel pump nozzle dribbles.  Stand by I may have a product that could blow everything else out of the water!
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 09:36:52 AM »

Post up my friend we all want to hear it.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

ST98

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 10:26:20 AM »

[

Copy that. Seems like it might cover better.

Thanks

quote author=slimjim link=topic=5313.msg45757#msg45757 date=1398259893]
No it will not and it can be sprayed with a simple spray bottle available at any hardware store.
[/quote]
Pages: [1] 2