Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Anyone heard of hy-PE-RTube?  (Read 7869 times)

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: Anyone heard of hy-PE-RTube?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2017, 11:41:59 PM »

Pex should be 80 psi at 200 degrees.

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2017, 12:18:05 AM »

Looks like the hy-PE-RTube is rated at 73 psi at 200 degrees. I wonder what happens to it if it gets up to 212.
CPVC has similar ratings but from what I have seen does not hold up to temps over 200 like pex does.

Apparently the Nibco version (PERTpro) is rated at 80 psi at 200 degrees so maybe there isn't much difference between it and pex.

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2017, 07:07:55 AM »

I know I've seen a few of them get over 212 and even some clown using PEX for LP steam without any noticeable delamination or deformity after several years of service. I replaced it with black pipe and cut the PEX apart for inspection and it looked great. As with most ratings, I think it's underrated to err on the side of caution

E Yoder

• OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 03:31:30 AM »

I agree, I've never seen Pex B fail except from direct sunlight on an open system, it's tough stuff. I think they're overly cautious with ratings.
. Pex-al-Pex I've heard stories of delaminating but I haven't seen it personally.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2017, 12:39:10 PM »

I've heard stories about pex-al and others but never seen it first hand or know anyone who has. Once we uncoiled the hy-PE-rtube and rotated the loops out of it it stayed straight. It never tried to coil itself back up. There was no fighting clamping it up to joists and the runs look straight when you clamp it every few joists. The most amazing part is how flexable it is and how easy you can bend it without kinking. Great product. :thumbup:
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

shepherd boy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2017, 04:18:56 PM »

I've seen pex-l-pex cracked on the inside lengthwise, multiple cracks. Fellow brought me a piece to show when buying a new regular pex insulated pipe to replace it. Just looked defective to me. Don't think he over heated it or anything. Just looked like freak thing.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2017, 04:42:59 PM »

Do you know what brand it was? Was the crack along the lap in the aluminum?

shepherd boy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 05:36:49 PM »

There multiple cracks, not just one lengthwise but on kinda a spiral as I recall on the inner layer of pex,outside seemed to be good but I think it had started to leak and discovered the interior cracks. He showed me two pieces about 6' long as I recall, orange in color.

I don't really want to knock the product because I don't know how it was treated, but the person has not contacted me about having trouble with the regular pex. It was not one of our installs nor did we sell the furnace it was hooked to.

I would say this hy-pe-rtube looks great but I'm a little cautious. I'd like to see it work for a while before I jump.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 05:55:37 PM by shepherd boy »
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 05:00:06 AM »

I've heard stories about pex-al and others but never seen it first hand or know anyone who has. Once we uncoiled the hy-PE-rtube and rotated the loops out of it it stayed straight. It never tried to coil itself back up. There was no fighting clamping it up to joists and the runs look straight when you clamp it every few joists. The most amazing part is how flexable it is and how easy you can bend it without kinking. Great product. :thumbup:

Is one able to use regular old crimp fittings with the stuff?

E Yoder

• OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2017, 07:26:05 PM »

I read it uses standard crimp Pex fittings.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2017, 05:27:55 PM »

I am using crimp fittings seems to work fine.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 06:04:11 PM »

Seriously gonna give this stuff a try. Dropped a stove off Friday afternoon and got it set, went back today to finish the job. Had my rolls of pex in the warm cab of the truck Friday, gave it to the guy to put in the house, sat in the house for 48 hours and was still stiff, didn’t have my rubber plugs to do the bathtub trick, had my heat gun though, heated the stuff up, wrastled it nice and straight, made my connections, went on down the line doing other stuff, come back 20 minutes later to see what was straight is now curved again, sh*t!!! Heated it up again and used some more supports to hopefully hold it in place. You’d think 48 hours in a warm house would help a little at least, stuff was like I just brought it in from outside.

It’s either figure out a way to spread the added cost of hy-PE-Rtube out else where or just start buying 20 foot straight sticks and build a rack on the trailer. Although straight sticks woulda kinda sucked as well, a little planning and some of the curve actually helped, like where I ran it thru the floor joists where they plan on actually finishing the basement.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2017, 07:37:42 PM »

Last year I cut some tees into my line in the house for my snowmelt HX Marty, the 1" Rehau pex across my basement came off of the coil like 6 years ago and had been heated and stapled every other joist since day one. First cut I made, the damn line memory coiled up and tore right out of the first 3 hangers! The memory is strong with that crap. I've been buying 1" Viega in 20 ft sticks lately, about $.80/ft. Can fold em in half and shove them in the pickup box or trailer. I keep a stack of 20's at home and cut a few in half for 10's to put in my rack inside the trailer. If I know I'm going to need a lot of pipe I'll just grab the center of the stick and walk up the ramp in the trailer so it bends into a 6x8 ft U shape against the walls of the trailer. Memory is next to nothing if I pull em out when I get to the job, they'll straighten right back out

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2017, 10:12:31 PM »

I’ll have to try the sticks then, I think I spent more time fighting the pex than actually working. haven’t really had this problem before, but this is the first time all if it ran perpendicular to the floor joists, then they moved a lot of stuff around in the basement when they had somebody else redo the furnace and water heater.

I’ll have to dig my receipts out as well, tried a different brand, it sucks.

I’ll either give the sticks a shot or maybe I’ll give the Sharkbite tubing a try, supposedly Made in USA.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 10:17:03 PM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2017, 09:45:48 AM »

Good luck! I think I might try the Hy-Pe-rtube on the next big job I have to see what it's all about. Price isn't terrible if a guy doesn't have to fight it and can save hours on install
Pages: 1 [2] 3