Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Author Topic: Gasification wood boiler build  (Read 122736 times)

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
Re: Gasification wood boiler build
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2010, 08:40:30 AM »

My wife is doing really good.she was up last night and ate dinner then got on the computer.I also hate going to the dentist myself.thank goodness for drugs!
The white material is K-wool insulating blanket.I forget the temp rating on it off the top of my head.I decided to line the upper secondary chamber area to keep the heat in the firebrick.that way the stove would gassify quicker upon start of a burn cycle.I think if the brick was mortared right to the steel it would pull the heat right out of the brick too quickly while it was idling.I guess we shall see what happens when it is running.
Wouldn't having brick glued directly give you more btu's getting into the water where you want it to go? I know there is a balancing act between drawing heat off versus gasification but I think it is a mute point in this instance. Like your build. How many hours and $$$ you have in it now?

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2010, 09:22:33 AM »

The theory is that the insulated burn chamber will hold the heat longer between cycles of burning.which will make the gassification burn start sooner.the bottom level is mortared right to the steel.even with the insulation there will be plenty of heat transfer I believe right there.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

vpd66

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2010, 11:38:34 AM »

My thought is that Gasification takes high heat 2000+ degrees, so you need a chamber that will hold up to that sort of temperature. Any attempt to pull heat of the Gasification chamber would have to much of a cooling affect and you might not get complete Gasification burn. All the heat for heating the water should come from the exhaust coming from the chamber. This is why regular OWBs don't burn very clean, too much water surrounding the firebox and cooling the burn. I'm loving your build. Keep up the good work and I hope it works out for you. I too would like to build one in the future when my regular OWB dies. For me to go out and buy a Gasification unit would take about 15 years to get a payback, and then would the furnace last that long??? I doubt it.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2010, 02:42:01 PM »

Yes the burn temps for the gasification chamber should start just above 2000f to 2700f from what I have researched.The insulated chamber should help create and maintain those temps.
I have a second pass in the lower chamber that will allow the brick to absorb heat ,and transfer it to the water tank.then the exhaust will exit through 6 heat exchanger pipes up the back of the stove.then exit out the rear stack.
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2010, 08:08:02 PM »

Well tonight I cut a couple 45 degree wedges to put in the back corners to help transition the air flow around the brick seperating the air injection pipe and the secondary burn chamber.I then cut the back 2 blocks for the air pipe to go through.you can see in the second picture the piece of steel tubing which is where the air pipe goes in.
   Hopefully more will get done tomorrow night.We have snow on the ground now. :bash:
I am using kerosene till this baby is working.Just not enough hours in the day. >:(
 :pic:

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2010, 08:11:54 PM »

do you plan on using forced draft or draft inducer. iwould think a inducer would be more desireable to pull thru the length of tubing.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2010, 08:36:05 PM »

forced draft.You have to pressurize the burn chamber to force the smoke gases to go down into the secondary burn chamber.Then you have to force oxygen into the secondary burn chamber to help with combustion of the wood gases.So no a draft inducer wouldn't work.Plus the fan I am using can move upto 550 cfm of air.Thanks for the interest.Always looking for ideas outside of the box I am stuck in :thumbup:
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2010, 08:14:08 PM »

My thought is that Gasification takes high heat 2000+ degrees, so you need a chamber that will hold up to that sort of temperature. Any attempt to pull heat of the Gasification chamber would have to much of a cooling affect and you might not get complete Gasification burn. All the heat for heating the water should come from the exhaust coming from the chamber. This is why regular OWBs don't burn very clean, too much water surrounding the firebox and cooling the burn. I'm loving your build. Keep up the good work and I hope it works out for you. I too would like to build one in the future when my regular OWB dies. For me to go out and buy a Gasification unit would take about 15 years to get a payback, and then would the furnace last that long??? I doubt it.

huh? 15 years?   what planet do you live on where they supply nearly free fuel? lol

golly moses.   i live in ky and I can easily spend 3500 - 4000 per winter just on heating costs.   

there are some really nice gasification units in the 8k price range as well!
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

vpd66

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2010, 09:46:41 PM »

Well, my house is only 1200sf and I built it 5 years ago. I installed a 94% efficent LP furnace and it only takes about 1 1/2 tanks of LP a winter to heat my house (500 gallon tank). I found a deal on a used OWB and installed it 3 years ago. So far the only cost in firewood is gas and oil for my chainsaws. I figure about 5 gallons a year. I have woods and have plenty of firewood. A guy I work with lives a 1 mile down the road and owns 80 arces that was select cut August 2009 and he is letting me cut all the tops I want. I haven't bought LP in 3 years so I don't know the current price, but I'd guess it would cost me $600-$700 a year to heat my house. So if a new Gasification boiler is $8000.00 you do the math on how long it would take for me to get a return on that investment......

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2010, 02:58:06 PM »

Now back to our regularly scheduled program. >:D
I finnished most of the brick in the gas chamber today.Going back out after i eat some ham and beans to get a little more done tonight.I will then post up some more pics.
Now for your viewing enjoyment......
 :pic:

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

bikeralan

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2010, 04:57:35 PM »

Lookin good! It's snowing like crazy up here in Mich., going to pick up my stove sometime this week, won't be using it till next yr.
You have to be stoked getting so close!

vpd66

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2010, 05:49:55 PM »

Looking good. So the two sqaure holes in the top layer of brick are the nozzles? How did you determine the size to use? Are you going to let the wood and coals lay on the top layer of bricks? Or is there going to be a grate for the wood and coals to lay on? the square tube in the back must be where the secondary air enters? and the pipe coming in the side is for your temp probe? Sorry for all the questions, but this is what I've been waiting to see and how you were going to do it.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2010, 07:49:06 PM »

Yeah we got about 3" of snow here in the last couple days.
Yes the 2 rectangular slots are the nozzles for each path underneath the firebox.Yes the tube in the back is where the combustion air will enter the back side of the gas chamber.
The tube is for my thermocouple to check the gassification burn temperature.This will not be for  controlling the furnace.Just to use as a tool to check the efficiency of the burn.
There will be a 1" steel plate in the bottom of the burn chamber to protect the fire brick.They wouldn't take any punishment of logs being thrown on top of them.
Oh,and I got layed off at work so I will be spending my time hopefully finnishing this up this week. :thumbup:
Just sucks its right before the holidays. :bash:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 08:40:25 PM by jackel440 »
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

vpd66

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2010, 08:15:43 PM »

Sorry to hear about the layoff. Is it permenant or temparory? Things have been tight where I work the last 2 years, but this year we've been very busy.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2010, 08:38:43 PM »

Sorry to hear about the layoff. Is it permenant or temparory? Things have been tight where I work the last 2 years, but this year we've been very busy.
The rumor is it is only supposed to be for one week.possibly 2.The assmbly plant is slow on thier launch.So they aren't taking many transmissions there as was scheduled.We are running out of racks so they cut 3rd and 2nd shift down to slow production for a week or 2.Our plant is actually running at full tilt till the assembly plant slow down.But hey thats fine with me.I would rather the assembly plant fix whatever issue they have before assembling cars. :thumbup: Managment has finally got thier head out of thier posteriers. :o
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21