Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]

Author Topic: Gasification wood boiler build  (Read 122711 times)

avc8130

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Gasification wood boiler build
« Reply #300 on: September 13, 2012, 09:07:39 AM »

So how has she been running?

Any chance you have "plans" you worked to?  I bet you could sell them!

ac

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 14, 2012, 06:55:09 AM »

Well she is working great.Well hopefully not for another month anyways ;)
I had drawings I made of my all my pieces for shearing them and bending them.Unfortunately I deviated from them as I went a bit.
I don't even know if I still have them.Not really worth trying to make and sell plans.
I figure if a guy has enough skill to build one he can design and engineer something to what he wants anyways.Just like what I did.
I am more then glad to give advice if I can give it. :thumbup:
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 26, 2012, 06:59:00 AM »

If you have ? just holler and I will help if I can. :thumbup:

Hey Jackel.  I've looked at your build pictures over and over.  Awesome build, and many thanks for keeping us all informed.  Your work has sure helped a lot of people out in understanding gasification boilers better. 

I've got a build in mind and have a quick question in mind.  I see you put a bypass in, but I've seen other models that don't have the primary burn chamber with a bypass in it.  Do you think a by-pass is always necessary?

Thanks again!

sixmenn

Yes I think a bypass is a good thing to have.When you load the stove you get less smoke coming back out at you while its running.I mean even when the blower is shut off.Open the by pass and then load wood.You get less smoke in your face.I also like the ability to open the bypass and run it like a conventional boiler.I wouldn't build one without it. :thumbup:

Excellent advice  :thumbup:

A bypass also makes lighting easier. Start a small fire with some kindling with the bypass open, place a few larger pieces of wood on top of that and let it burn for about ten minutes with the bypass open, fill it full, close the door, close the bypass, and walk away. Where it burns like a normal burner the heat rises and ignite the larger pieces above the fire and gets you a bed of coals more quickly and more reliably.

A bypass also vents out the gasses that build up inside the chamber. Gassification releases hydrogen and carbon monoxide which are both very flammable. If you don't vent these out before opening the door you can get a pretty nasty flair up in your face when they light off upon allowing fresh air into the mix.

angus1x1

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: taylor
  • OWF Model: don't know,holds about 1000 gal water
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 06, 2012, 09:34:35 PM »

Wondering what the K-Wool is you used to insulate your doors?Maybe magnesium silicate?
How did the doors stand up to the heat?
I would like to do something similar to my doors instead of water filled-cooled.
Thx,Steve
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]