Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Plumbing setup for Heatmor 200CSS  (Read 5154 times)

jase

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Comparing Wood Furnace Brands
    • View Profile
Plumbing setup for Heatmor 200CSS
« on: March 03, 2016, 12:16:52 PM »

I just got my Heatmor 200CSS set up and burning wood.  I love this thing so far!  Everyone makes fun of me for smelling like smoke all the time but it doesn't bother me.  I love it.  I'm in Georgia so no many folks have them down my way. 

I had to have help with the plumbing because I didn't have a clue.  I wanted to heat my household water and also use heat exchangers in my upstairs furnace and my downstairs furnace.  Everything seems to be working good, but my plumber hooked this up different that I thought it would be.  He made the loop from the wood furnace only go to the plate exchanger at my water heater.  It doesn't continue on to the two house furnaces from there but goes straight back to the wood furnace.  Instead we are only heating the water in the water heater and from there my household water runs a separate loop (with freshwater) to both house furnaces.  So none of that water is treated with anything - it's my actual drinking water.  He said this would make use of the water heater as a storage tank.  Of course we have it turned down to a real low setting since I'm heating the water with wood.  After a while this all kind of sunk in and seemed to make sense once I figured out I wouldn't be drinking antifreeze.  But can I get some thoughts on this.  It may be the best setup ever, but if you know of any problems this can cause, it would be easy to change around and I would consider doing that before next winter.  I'd appreciate any of your opinions on this.  Thanks!

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Plumbing setup for Heatmor 200CSS
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 03:54:19 PM »

Not really that uncommon, in England that is.

Not near the call for heat they’re so they have all copper plumbing and copper radiators or baseboards, one boiler heats the water and a three way valve is used to select were the hot water is sent.

Not sure what all that untreated water flowing thru your furnace coils will do over the long run, do you have hard or soft water? Even our soft water will still crud stuff up sooner or later.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

jase

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 04:38:44 PM »

Hard water for sure.

braveblaster

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 07:29:23 PM »

You mentioned:

One loop from OWB to DWH and back to OWB.

Household water separate loop to furnaces (fresh water) -- how is this getting heated from the OWB?

Do you have two pumps?

I asked because I have two pumps and on my set up:

One loop from one pump on the OWB runs to heat exchanger at the DWH and from there to one of my furnaces and back to the OWB

The other pump loop goes straight to the second furnace and back to the OWB.

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 04:56:29 AM »

hmmmmm

jase

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 06:45:19 AM »

Yes I have two pumps.  One loop w/pump OWB to WH.   Another loop w/pump WH to both electric furnaces and back to WH.  Seems to work fine but now I'm worried about corrosion due to untreated water on the inside loop.  Maybe I need to change this up.

lindnova

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 200 CSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 07:25:24 PM »

I would have concerns over corrosion and domestic water having another way to get contaminated.  I would have another heat exchanger or plumb the boiler water up to the furnace.
Stihl ms260, ms362, msS461
Huskee 22 TN Splitter
Kubota BX2200 w/ Loader

jase

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 03:50:56 PM »

I had my installer switch things back to make domestic water separate.  Everything seems to work great.  Thanks for the advice.