Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: 1 year old Hardy cracked water jacket?  (Read 6302 times)

mike26038

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
1 year old Hardy cracked water jacket?
« on: March 11, 2014, 03:39:21 PM »

Hi all. Just signed up looking for info.

I am searching for OWB cause propane is killing me. I have a very limited budget, so I have been looking for a used unit. I found a Hardy H5 that was built in Oct 12. The guy was real nice and accepted my offer of $3000, that was all I had. This included 40' of insulated pex, pumps, ect. All I would need is a heat exchanger for the furnace.

So needless to say I was super excited. I don't really know much about the different brands but have heard of Hardy and knew they were a high end brand.

So Sunday I went to get it. When we took the cover off to make loading easier is when I noticed the cracking. The water jacket around the chimney is cracked. On one side it is all busted up and sagging,  and the other is just spider web cracks.

This was very troubling. I left without the stove. The owner called Hardy and they said they'll fix it but he will have to pay freight, and I will have a hard time covering that.

My worry is, how did this crack that badly after only one year of use? This unit was used for garage heat only and not burnt all the time?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
Re: 1 year old Hardy cracked water jacket?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 04:46:33 PM »

...My worry is, how did this crack that badly after only one year of use? This unit was used for garage heat only and not burnt all the time?...

If it wasn't burning all the time maybe it froze up and that cracked it?
Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 05:01:17 PM »

Pics?

mike26038

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 05:05:58 PM »

No, I didn't think of taking pics. Its not from freezing,  he had plenty of antifreeze in it, also the metal sunk in.

He said that Hardy told him its probably from too much salt in his water, and there was dried salt on the top were I could tell water had been laying.

My concern is if it can do this after one year,  is this stove worth buying? When he gets it back it will be essentially a new stove.

Another question is the warranty transferable?

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 06:10:23 PM »

He is going to have it rebuilt and still sell for 3k? I would guess it's going to be 3k to rebuild it. I would walk away.

mike26038

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 06:13:29 PM »

He is going to have it rebuilt and still sell for 3k? I would guess it's going to be 3k to rebuild it. I would walk away.

They are fixing it under warranty. He has to take it to the dealer and Hardy is picking it up. Then all he has to do is pay freight. 

jnicol6600

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: heatmaster
  • OWF Model: 6000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 06:39:38 PM »

Did he have a swimming pool? Maybe the heat exchanger was letting pool water in. I wouldnt want to pay 3000 unless it was fixed already. Not much more and you could have a new ridgewood stove

racnruss

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort gt-220 sold P&M Optimizer 250 sold now Heatmaster 10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 06:48:58 PM »

I don't think the H5 has auto-fill feature.   Therefore it would be easy to get low on water due to the hardy having a relatively small amount of water above the firebox.  Could have overheated.
Tree service Owner/Operator since 1997.  Central Iowa.

mike26038

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 07:03:12 PM »

I don't think the H5 has auto-fill feature.   Therefore it would be easy to get low on water due to the hardy having a relatively small amount of water above the firebox.  Could have overheated.

That's possible.  There was a gauge of some sorts on the back that was partially melted?

I am looking at the Ridgewood stoves.

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 08:34:07 PM »

If I remember correctly Hardy only uses 16 gauge 304 stainless in that area and then 22 gauge for the smoke stack. Sounds like it got low in water and popped. Not completely uncommon for 304 built furnaces.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master