Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How much do you load?  (Read 6020 times)

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
How much do you load?
« on: November 24, 2013, 08:57:43 AM »

Everyones heat loads are different, wood is varying degrees of dryness etc. I was just wondering what everyone else puts in for a 12 hour load? Its getting colder up here in the New Hampshire( 30* during the day 15* at night). I load once at about 7-8 am and again at 6 pm or so. I put in 4 split pieces of maple that are 24 inches long and are 6 inches x 10 inches in diameter. When the temps are 40* + on average I can get away with 2.5 pieces per 12 hour load. Just wondering how this stacks up to what others are getting.

doow14

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
Re: How much do you load?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 12:18:35 PM »

:(your doin way better than me its 22* out right now in east central ohio I would have to stuff my shaver as plumb full as possible with good quality fuel locus,oak,cherry etc 25 too 28 pieces to get a 12 hr cycle.I only do that when nobody is going to be around to keep it up.
"Some People Don't Know, And The Problem Is They Don't Know That They Don't Know"

woodman

• OWF Brand: hawken
  • OWF Model: he1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 12:47:33 PM »

:(your doin way better than me its 22* out right now in east central ohio I would have to stuff my shaver as plumb full as possible with good quality fuel locus,oak,cherry etc 25 too 28 pieces to get a 12 hr cycle.I only do that when nobody is going to be around to keep it up.

WHAT???????? How much are you heating? What do you do when it gets cold out, like below zero cold. To the OP question, I am pretty close to what you are loading. 4-6 two to three foot long rounds 8 -10 inch diameter, 12-16 hours between loading at these temps.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 06:08:37 PM »

Yeah sounds like doow is going through some serious wood. High of 21 today with steady wind of 10+ mph up to 50 mph. I went through 5 pieces during the day and loaded another 5 in for the overnight, it is suppose to get down around 9 tonight.

DaveWertz

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 06:33:43 PM »

Its hard for me. THis is the first yr heating with insulated lines. Last yr I was loading full to the gills with railroad ties (non treated) You take a tie and cut it down to 4pcs per tie. I would load about 8-10pcs for 12 hr burn time in 20* weather. Now this week we had 20* weather and got down to the teens at night. I loaded the same amount and got 18hrs easy. Could have gone longer I think. I have been trying something new, How I stack the wood in the firebox. Thursday night before I went ot work at 830pm I loaded at 730pm and stacked the blocks to make a great big block inside the firebox (if that makes sense). Came out to about 9pcs and I didnt have to put anymore wood until noon the next day..... Seemed to help the way the wood burnt stacking it like that..
2001 F150 7700 series
06 Honda Rincon 680. Lifted and made for MUD
09 Harley Superglide custom
Stihl Farmboss 290

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 06:43:35 PM »

Man, fill it all the way up each load? That's crazy. I have expierented with putting a full firebox worth in before and it seems to burn all of it in about the same amount of time when I load just the amount it takes to get to the next loading. Are you saying that you stack to wood in a tight stack? If so, that is how I do it too. The wood seems to burn faste if I load it any other way.

DaveWertz

• OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 07:03:46 PM »

Yeah I stack it as tight as I can get it. Seems to burn allot better. Since I got my new lines I have seen a much longer burn time. Would love to fill it not even half way and see if it makes a difference, But since I work third shift I dont want my house to get cold when I get home in the am. Maybe this week after I get back from the game I will try it since I have off all week.
2001 F150 7700 series
06 Honda Rincon 680. Lifted and made for MUD
09 Harley Superglide custom
Stihl Farmboss 290

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 07:28:17 PM »

Give it a try Dave. I think you will be surprised. It takes a little expierementing to know what the min amount is but you'll figure it out.

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 08:12:30 PM »

I get 24 hours out of 2or3  small rounds of pine and the temp was 21 today with hi winds.

Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 08:58:19 AM »

You must have a very well insulated house!

uncle Dave

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: 180
  • wood is the only way to get warm!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 10:01:58 AM »

Loading twice a day 6 pcs 6-8'' in dia 22'' long, thorny locust, drafty old farm house, we're stayin toasty.
Hardy H4, first fire 11/06,  26 ton spliter, Stihl MS290, Stihl 029 17acre hillside wood lot, locust,hickory, ash, maple, deer, coyotes.

husky 555

• OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 12:19:35 PM »

Anywhere from nine to twelve pieces of split dry red oak will get me at least 15hrs. My practice is to feed the stove twice daily usually 6 am and 9 pm.  I always have a couple hours to spare should my schedule get messed up.

Brad

• OWF Model: H5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 12:57:02 PM »

I load mine twice a day and usually throw in 4-5 smaller rounds (20" long) and a couple larger ones on top.  That's a good 12 hour burn maybe a little longer...  I live in a very drafty old farm house.....  When we get into Jan and it's gets colder I throw in a little more just to make sure it does not go out.  I'm in Northern MN so it gets durn cold...
Aitkin, Minnesota

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 01:30:52 PM »

I usually load my H2 half way (usually up to the bottom of the firebox door).  That will usually get me by for at least 12 hours.  Here recently though, I have been loading it about 3/4 full and it is almost all gone after about 8-10 hours.  I am going to start looking into why i have been burning so much wood!  :bash:
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 04:16:24 PM »

I have noticed that if you try to put more in than it will need to get to the next loading it will burn up the extra wood. Do you load wood on the sides of you stove to get up to the bottom of the loading door? I try to stack everything in the center.
Pages: [1] 2