Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: how long should the refractory last on the loading door?  (Read 3242 times)

mgw44

how long should the refractory last on the loading door?
« on: October 28, 2014, 11:28:24 AM »

Just curious what lifespans users have had on their door refractory?  I started mine up for the fourth burn season three weeks ago and the refractory fell out off the door and onto the ground.  the refractory also broke into a few pieces where I don't think it can be re-used. 

Also I've been waiting THREE WEEKS FOR PARTS   :bash:.  This is terribly disappointing as the distributor advised me (after calling Empyre) that I should not use the boiler until I get the replacement part.  My propane bill is getting more expensive every day while I have 10 chord of wood sitting idle.

Is this refractory on the door common for all wood boilers?  It seems the wood boilers are a lot less durable than what I was sold by the dealer. 

How much do you guys spend repairing your wood boiler each year?  It seems like there are a lot of different parts on my pro series 100 that need to be replaced during the wood boiler's life.

mgw44

mgw44

Re: how long should the refractory last on the loading door?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 04:02:37 AM »

still no parts.  I've tried to escalate with Pro-Fab but I have not gotten results.  The wood boiler sits idle while my propane keeps the water in the boiler from freezing. 

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 04:13:38 AM »

We had an issue with our early model 250's, we used 1 inch bricks hanging in a stainless holder that hung on the reaction chamber door, is there a retainer of some sort that could be used to hold a fabricated stainless heat shield to protect the reaction chamber door from the heat to prevent warping of the door, this is exactly what we did, now we use no bricks on our door and have had zero issues with warping. post a picture of your door and broken brick, I bet we can help!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Big Wood

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler Heatsource 1
  • OWF Model: E-2300 Model 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 04:48:31 PM »

I have replaced the refractory on some old Memco boilers find a supplier near you a bag costs about $40.00 take the door off lay it flat mix the refractory cement not to thin fill about half way cut a piece of plaster wire about an inch small then the door lay it in add rest of cement use a palm sander as a vibrator go around the out side of the door get the air out let set for 24 hours put your door back on build a small fire at first and increase slowly this will fie the new brick good luck
Outdoor wood boiler repair and help