Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Eclassic 1450 reaction chamber filling with charcoal  (Read 6904 times)

dank

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: e classic 1450
    • View Profile
Eclassic 1450 reaction chamber filling with charcoal
« on: December 07, 2016, 05:49:59 PM »

Has anyone had trouble with lots of charcoal ending up in reaction chamber? I used to clean it every Saturday and get about an inch of fine powder, now every few days it's full of charcoal. I have replaced both refractory pieces and all fire bricks. I get great burn temps around 1000 for a few days and then the reaction chamber fill again, not sure wher to turn next, any advice would be great, thank you.

duramax

• OWF Model: 1450
    • View Profile
Re: Eclassic 1450 reaction chamber filling with charcoal
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 05:47:48 PM »

why did you replace the fire brick? What kind of damage was there?Check to see if the air vents are clear and the solenoids are opening, but if you are getting 1000* reaction chamber you should be good. I clean my 1450 about once a month with little charcoal in there. are you cramming the coals from the box into the chamber? I just stir mine up to get the ash out and leave it. 12 hour burn time.
Central Boiler E 1450 Homemade 13 hp wood splitter, Kubota L 3800 tractor

dank

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: e classic 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 02:50:21 AM »

I replaced,the brick because I am just replacing random parts at this point, this is a new issue I have run this trouble free for four years, now you have to clean it every two days. Changing charge tube next when it comes in.

5050racing

• OWF Brand: CB-1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 11:45:59 AM »

Maybe your knocking to much down there when mixing coals,I try not to stir to much near the hole it's not metal so it won't rot there,could be type of wood? I clean every two weeks

smithbr

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 02:19:47 PM »

Hi
Did you resolve this?  I have the same problem, we seem to be knocking a lot of coals between pea and lima bean size down into the reaction chamber.  I also have a sticking problem with my main vent, allowing air in between boosts, but I don't think it's related - I WD-40'd the solenoids this afternoon and we'll see.  My electrical box is black with accumulated smoke/fine creosote, so I'm getting some form of smoke blowback through that vent too.

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 08:36:40 AM »

Hi
Did you resolve this?  I have the same problem, we seem to be knocking a lot of coals between pea and lima bean size down into the reaction chamber.  I also have a sticking problem with my main vent, allowing air in between boosts, but I don't think it's related - I WD-40'd the solenoids this afternoon and we'll see.  My electrical box is black with accumulated smoke/fine creosote, so I'm getting some form of smoke blowback through that vent too.

smithbr - I don't have the 1450, I have the 1400 but my manual says to lessen the possibility of smoke entering the air box, be sure you wait at least 15 sec from the point when you close the firebox door to the time when you close the by-pass door.  My $0.02 worth.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

duramax

• OWF Model: 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 09:43:56 AM »

smithbr

I have the 1450 and I do not do a lot of stirring of coals. I got an ice scraper bar and I just fluff it up once a day. I empty my ashes once a month and the only coals are from shutting it down to clean. There is also a good youtube video that talks about pulling out your primary solenoid tube and cleaning it, mine was half full of creosote. Just make sure your solenoid is level when ya put it back in. Good luck.
Central Boiler E 1450 Homemade 13 hp wood splitter, Kubota L 3800 tractor

Bud650

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: classic
  • OWF Model: classic Edge 560
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 03:50:52 PM »

I have a e 1400 and one day I get good air flow and will burn to 1200 degree and the next it has a hard time getting to 550 to open the second stage. Some days when I clean the ashes I get fine ash and other days I get small pieces of coals. I have also changed my primary air gate and added a spring to it because the solenoid was sticking. Ya I am having the same problem so if anyone has any help please share with us

5050racing

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 03:27:22 PM »

Just for the heck of it you have a firebrick that makes the reaction chamber have 3 sides,so to clean it out you have to slide it to the side out of the way to pull coals out? You never know it may of been left out when new?mine was missing both steel doors in the upper clean out on either side of chimney

Bud650

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 04:09:47 PM »

My firebrick is 3x5 in blocks and I do not have to move them at all just scrap the ash out.I only have one door on the left side of the chimney and I clean it out once a week.

5050racing

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 04:21:31 PM »

Wow mine is 3rs old n have 2 doors up top with 7 tubes to clean,and one big door down low to clean ash out but where the coals fall down into is there a big brick like 8" wide n 8" high that u slide out of the way to see into the reaction chamber then u pull the ash,coals out towards the big door in front of u

5050racing

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 04:24:11 PM »

I just read u have used it for yrs and now u have trouble sorry I say maybe type of wood or moisture? Maybe

Bud650

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 04:32:00 PM »

I just read u have used it for yrs and now u have trouble sorry I say maybe type of wood or moisture? Maybe

I am burning 1 year seasoned wood oak, maple, beech, birch,I don't think it is the wood.My thoughts are something going on with the air gate not opening when they are supposed to.

5050racing

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 04:44:49 PM »

Fan sounds good n blowing hard? I really clean the air chamber with shop vac thru the charge tube to each side with a piece of flexible hose from jetski bilge hose like 1" dia shove it thru from corners from inside of stove where u pull up the corner metal pieces with shop vac on,u won't believe how much stuff is in the air tubes that feed the air chamber that runs along the side that the 3 metal plates that come off will have in I them just trying to think of stuff

Bud650

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 04:58:07 PM »

Fan sounds good n blowing hard? I really clean the air chamber with shop vac thru the charge tube to each side with a piece of flexible hose from jetski bilge hose like 1" dia shove it thru from corners from inside of stove where u pull up the corner metal pieces with shop vac on,u won't believe how much stuff is in the air tubes that feed the air chamber that runs along the side that the 3 metal plates that come off will have in I them just trying to think of stuff

Ya the fan is good. I have the CB 1400 my air chambers do not open they are welded closed that is the way they built the 1400. they changed it on the 1450.I do use a shop vac and torch I stick the torch in the air hole and light the creosote on fire and turn the vac so it will blow in the air chamber. I get a lot off creosote out that way.
Pages: [1] 2