Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 2017 G200 stack questions  (Read 4417 times)

shepherd boy

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 G200 stack questions
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 06:32:38 PM »

Yes, that was our mistake. Stainless cannot take salt. Need a titanium heat exchanger for salt water pools. Stainless heat exchanger pitted out dumping saltwater in the furnace which evaperated the salt and pitted the top of the water jacket. The good thing is he sent his water samples in and knew something wasn't right but took a little to figure it out. Heatmaster honored their warranty even though it wasn't the stoves fault and gave him a new tank and we installed it free. Learned a lesson and had a happy costumer. It was actually a 3yr. not month deal.

304 heatexchanger, 409 furnace

MF10000E furnace hooked to steel fabrication shop w/ 4 hot air furnaces and house w/2 furnaces and 2 add on blowers and swimming pool. Burning straight coal. Running good ever since.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 07:14:54 PM by shepherd boy »
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

Superwd6

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: EClassic 2300
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 06:46:54 PM »

I seem to remember a guy on here a few years back with a stainless boiler that rotted out in only a few months from a salt water filter on his pool and a stainless heat exchanger, I think it as well was 409, Marty, you always comment on your exhaust on your truck being 409, how do you think it would hold up if 3 years in you were to put it in a pressure test?
Salt water pool heat exchanger should've been Titanium NOT stainless.You can't blame boiler failure  8)on poor plumbing choice. Even quads are using stainless exhaust very successfully so I don't understand your thoughts.
My Eclassic 2300 is starting its year #9 with a tiny leak welded 18 month ago .With that said my Central Boiler dealer was at County plowing match and had Edge 550 stainless on display.ONLY stainless model prices listed LOL . I think the writing is on the wall over stainless vs plate steel. 8)

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 09:35:28 PM »

I seem to remember a guy on here a few years back with a stainless boiler that rotted out in only a few months from a salt water filter on his pool and a stainless heat exchanger, I think it as well was 409, Marty, you always comment on your exhaust on your truck being 409, how do you think it would hold up if 3 years in you were to put it in a pressure test?

You mean besides the normal pressure that stainless flex exhaust pipe is meant to carry? I’d say pretty well considering its over ten years old and the rest of the aluminized exhaust system is rotting off. All was installed new at the same time, actually the rest of the exhaust system has several patches in it. I’ll drop it, have the local muffler shop bend new mild steel aluminized pipes, and keep the 409 flex pipe. If I get another ten years out of it that will make that straight truck 47 years old.

Something else that needs considering, stainless steel heat exchangers are usually 316 stainless, while ones meant for salt water are titanium. 409 is sometimes called titanium enhanced stainless steel. Whose boiler rotted out from salt water? Which stainless was used? I’m wondering if not so much the salt but mixing the salt with boiler treatment meant for stainless didn’t have some sort of weird chemical reaction? Or the salt effected the conductivity and electrolysis ate the boiler? Over the years I’ve many a sleeve come out of a diesel with pits in it, as well as cast iron and aluminum water necks off thermostat housings with holes ate clear thru em. Two different things between diesel pits and actual electrolysis but they both have a common denominator, weird things can happen when something falls out of design specs.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 09:52:10 PM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 02:47:28 AM »

Nope, not blaming the boiler nor any particular company, the point that I'm making is that there are situations where stainless works well and then there are places where it doesn't work as well, the consensus here has been that stainless is indestructible, it is not. Yes Shepard boy we are speaking of the same unit, in fact as I told Eldon at the distributor meeting when he told the story, they way it was handled was a deciding factor to get me on board with the product, to bad that practice didn't continue.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

shepherd boy

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2017, 04:30:01 AM »

Yes, mlappin, it may have been 316 stainless on the heat exchanger. And you are right, the salt effected the conductivity and electrolysis pitted the boiler.
  There is a reason catalytic converters are made out of 409. Road salt doesn't seem to effect it like circulating hot water with a mineral inside an engine or boiler. That's why an aluminum head, which doesn't rust, will pit with out the proper antifreeze additives.

Looking back on these messups, whether its us or the company we sell for, it's a stress at the time but in the end it's the best PR and advertising we get. Gives us all a chance to show what we are made of when we are under the gun and can't figure out what's going on.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole
Pages: 1 [2]