Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Temp readings over heat exchangers  (Read 5095 times)

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Temp readings over heat exchangers
« on: September 13, 2017, 10:37:16 AM »

I know we have had some questions as far as real temp readings over the g200 heat exchangers. I have measured temps between 300-375 leaving the stack with my IR gun. I just ordered this off eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/BBQ-Smoker-Grill-Stainless-Steel-Thermometer-Temperature-Gauge-60-427-E8-/132065167659?epid=2003963382&hash=item1ebfb2892b:g:9ZEAAOSwnHZYer2q

I think it will give a more accurate reading and it will be easy to just open the door and take a look. My plan is to drill a hole in the back plate and mig weld a nut onto the outside of the plate so that I can thread the gauge in and out to clean off any ash from the probe. Anyone see any problems with this plan? Any issues with using mild steel wire in the mig to weld on the stainless plate?

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Temp readings over heat exchangers
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 11:38:38 AM »

I think that if you look on YOUR stove that there is a spot right below the insulated smokepipe where I used to have a candy thermometer inserted into the exhaust, this is what is known as the breach and is typically where stack temps are measured from.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 01:16:57 PM »

Mild steel wire on this application won’t cause any issues. I’ve had times where stainless wire just kept cracking on a fertilizer spreader, finally welded it with standard 7018 rod and was end of the issue.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 01:45:26 PM »

Slim, I just looked and there is nothing drilled. I think you had that temp probe on that 2014 model that you exchanged out. i don't think I am going to be able install the gauge right over the fan box where the breach is because of the size of the gauge itself and the fan box being right there. I can't imagine that the temp of the area above the heat exchangers is going to be a huge difference between that and above the inducer fan.

Thanks Marty, I'll weld it up with the mig and then spray paint the area that I grinded and welded.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:58:15 PM by hondaracer2oo4 »

Smokeless

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster ss.
  • OWF Model: G-100, 200,400
    • View Profile
    • PCWoodBoilerSystems
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 08:10:52 PM »

You guys are wasting your time and money trying to figure out who's stove is 100*deg cooler. There are to many variables to the puzzle. If the water temp is at 150*F. It's going to be a cooler reading than if at 175*F.
I know one thing for sure  most  gasifiers are better at capturing heat than the conventionals.
So a six inch heating duct moving 100*F air at 60 cubic feet per minute. Equates to what in one gallon of water temp btu == sh!T.
X 60 min = maybe two sh!T =which is one piece of wood.
Signature:
JD 401-c /Honda300atv/CAT 922-B/twofarmallCubs/2135 diesel Massey/8 chain saws/JMSloader/ 2017 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD
HeatMaster/Logstor  dealer for North east area NY VT NH MASS. Sales, installations, troubleshooting of hydronic systems and gasification issues.  Saratoga co, NY

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 08:32:40 PM »

It's an interesting experiment. Comparing residual O2 would be interesting too.
But any accurate efficiency test would require careful measurement of wood weight and moisture content, then putting a very specific BTU load on the unit til it runs out of wood.
A lot of variables for sure.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 08:48:12 PM »

Oh I don’t know, stack temp would still be interesting regardless. Can be generally said irregardless of wood burnt or how much, cooler stack temp is gonna equal to higher efficiency. My old homemade averaged around 750 degrees.

Didn’t the certifying labs use sawn lumber that was kiln dried? IE all pieces identical size and length? I know on my old one if I needed more heat I loaded more small pieces as they burnt faster, for over night loaded more large unsplit pieces.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 08:55:52 PM »

Haha, yes some people will say it's useless. I think it will be interesting to see the difference in temp say before and after shaking the turbulator handles. Also temps before and after cleaning the ash from the reaction chamber and below the hx tubes. Temps with a load of oak vs maple. I think it will be interesting.

shepherd boy

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 02:43:24 AM »

Another temp reading that would add to the equation would be the reaction chamber temp. If that is low and you are getting a low stack temp reading it could be worse than a high reaction chamber reading and a higher stack temp reading. Getting the near complete burn of wasted particle is #1 objective, #2 would be recovery of that heat. An old conventional can have a low stack temp still be terrible inefficient. So many variables but is something interesting to watch what it does under different conditions.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 04:30:58 AM »

Yes I would love to have a temp probe in the reaction chamber like cb has.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 05:24:01 AM »

Well Honda, if yours doesn't have a hole then just above the transition from uninsulated to the insulated you could drill a small hole in the insulated pipe and insert a temp probe in there, Polar boilers come pre drilled and have a stack temp gauge with them, we could even use the same temp gauge! I can't help with the reaction chamber temps but I do have a very good combustion analyzer that I use when setting up new oil boilers that we can bring along.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 05:31:12 AM »

Actually Ben, it's our time to waste, are you concerned about something? My fuel, my customer, my time , my tools and oh yes my LIBERTY, thank you!

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 06:19:44 AM »

Thanks for the offer slim, I'll let you know if I will need a hand. How large is the polar temp gauge? I'll have to take a look and see tomorrow how much pipe there is between the top of the roof and the insulated pipe where I can drill the hole and have enough clearance for the gauge face to not hit the top of the roof. Obviously the "breach" is the ultimate location to place the sensor but I still can't imagine the temp difference is much between that and the area above the hxs. I assume your combustion analyzer you use is placed somewhere in the breach area as well, not the reaction chamber because those probes are just RTD sensors I thought, not capable of the extreme temps.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 06:25:00 AM »

I just Reread your post and you suggested drilling a hole in the insulated pipe itself. For some reason I thought before that someone suggested against drilling a hole in the insulated pipe for some reason that I can't remember now.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 07:04:26 AM »

There is no reason not to, we do it all the time with single wall oil burner pipe and use venture tape to seal it back up after the analyzer has been used, again Polar actually does it at the factory and places a sticker over the hole telling you to insert the probe there.
Pages: [1] 2