Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Intermittent problem with oil furnace  (Read 5682 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Intermittent problem with oil furnace
« on: September 22, 2017, 05:42:16 PM »

Okay, I do not know where to post this so if you feel it needs to move please do so.

This spring I performed a service on my oil furnace.  I changed the nozzle, pump screen and tank filter.  I cleaned everything very well.  It's been running great all summer up until about a week or so ago when I heard my oil furnace running which in not uncommon in the summer, it heats my DHW.  What was uncommon is that it had a very brief interruption, when I say brief I mean for a split second.  I checked on the furnace and all appeared fine.  I didn't give it a second thought.  But, this morning it did it again only this time it did it 3 times in a row.  It did not trip out, I did not have reset anything.  Every time after it "burped" it continued running until the high set point was reached.  When I got home from work this evening I decided to change out the nozzle, cleaned the pump screen (didn't have a new one on hand).  I did not have another tank filter to change so I didn't touch it.  If it does it again, I'm contacting my HVAC guy to have them go through it for me.    Anyone have any ideas what happened?   Thanks, Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Smokeless

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster ss.
  • OWF Model: G-100, 200,400
    • View Profile
    • PCWoodBoilerSystems
Re: Intermittent problem with oil furnace
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 07:54:28 PM »

Roger.
  If the tank is not low on fuel. Could there be water from condensation ? Check all electrical conections. From breaker to the emergency shut of switch to furnace and all the grounds back to the panel.  What kind of burner is it?  Becket , Riello , etc. what is the primary control?
Signature:
JD 401-c /Honda300atv/CAT 922-B/twofarmallCubs/2135 diesel Massey/8 chain saws/JMSloader/ 2017 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD
HeatMaster/Logstor  dealer for North east area NY VT NH MASS. Sales, installations, troubleshooting of hydronic systems and gasification issues.  Saratoga co, NY

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 11:41:00 PM »

Have you cleaned or replaced your photo eye recently? A friend was having similar problems and I ordered a new photo eye for him and it took care of the problem 
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 04:49:57 AM »

smokeless - It's a Beckett EFG burner.  I was thinking about it earlier this morning and have concluded it must something electrical.  Like I said, it's just like a brief hiccup and I'm somewhat confident in saying it's not a fuel delivery problem.  What kind of tests can I perform without killing myself with a simple multimeter? 

schoppy - How would I and what would I use to clean the photo eye?  If I clean it, how careful do I need to be with it; is it a delicate component?  Depending on cost I may go ahead and order a new one and replace it anyway.  Thanks folks.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Smokeless

• View Profile
    • PCWoodBoilerSystems
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 02:27:57 PM »

Well ,when it is running wiggle the wires and tap on the electrical boxes. Chances are it is close to the burner. If you take off the wire nuts the copper should be twisted together.
Signature:
JD 401-c /Honda300atv/CAT 922-B/twofarmallCubs/2135 diesel Massey/8 chain saws/JMSloader/ 2017 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD
HeatMaster/Logstor  dealer for North east area NY VT NH MASS. Sales, installations, troubleshooting of hydronic systems and gasification issues.  Saratoga co, NY

Smokeless

• View Profile
    • PCWoodBoilerSystems
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 07:06:16 PM »

Roger
   Two other thoughts if your TT is jumped ,make sure it's a good conection.
Also may be the electrode gap. Maybe losing the electrical arc if it is to much gap? 
Signature:

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 03:42:58 AM »

smokeless - I'll do the easier one first; wiggle the wires and then if the problem persists I'll check the electrode gap to be sure it is where it belongs.  Thanks for the suggestions.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 09:11:51 PM »

Sorry Roger, having computer problems lately. It isn't that delicate of a part and not too expensive either. I found my buddies online last year. I am not sure what to use to clean it but a cleaner like you would use to clean fireplace ceramic glass would probably work.

Get your part number and you should be able to find a compatible replacement online pretty easy.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

whitepine2

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: P&M 250
  • OWF Model: 250 optermizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 08:53:38 AM »

It could be water in oil but with just changing tank filter may-be not. It could be air in line may-be when you changed
filter it was not tight and or fittings got Jared or line not tight when you changed things. These are some simple things that can be checked that could make it skip. You say it was running all summer fine if by chance you have in ground tanks and plenty of rain water could get in somehow??? You just gotta keep playing around and checking all
the little things. It might even be the transformer working but skipping at times. When ya do find out let us know what it was.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 09:59:20 AM »

Hi all - Quick update - The oil furnace has been running great since the last time I posted on here complaining about it.  I'm still at a loss as to what may have been causing the problem due to the fact I haven't had time to clean anything or perform any of the suggestions posted.  The only thing I did was put some fuel conditioner in the tank.  Maybe it was crud, sludge or some moisture in the tank, I have no idea.   

whitepine2 - the oil tank is located in the basement of my house. 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 03:15:57 PM »

Hi all - Quick update - The oil furnace has been running great since the last time I posted on here complaining about it.  I'm still at a loss as to what may have been causing the problem due to the fact I haven't had time to clean anything or perform any of the suggestions posted.  The only thing I did was put some fuel conditioner in the tank.  Maybe it was crud, sludge or some moisture in the tank, I have no idea.   

whitepine2 - the oil tank is located in the basement of my house.

I actually hate that, I’d rather find something wrong than have it self fix, eventually it could do it again.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Smokeless

• View Profile
    • PCWoodBoilerSystems
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 05:39:26 PM »

I hope it doesn't show its ugly head when you need it the most.
Signature:

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 06:28:36 PM »

mlappen - Me too.  There is nothing more frustrating than something act up one minute only to have it run completely fine then next.  Soon I'll be firing up the OWB for the heating season and won't have to deal with the oil until next spring. 

smokeless - Same here.  There's nothing worse than a cold shower first thing in the morning.   

Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Roger2561

• View Profile
Re: Intermittent problem with oil furnace - Update
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 03:58:26 AM »

Well, the saga continues.  The oil furnace is doing the same thing this morning as it was a bit over a week ago only this time it "skipped" 4 times in a row.  This time I observed a clicking sound every time it "skipped", if that means any thing you guys.  When I get home from work this evening I'm going to clean the "eye" to see if that makes any difference.  I'm not an oil burner tech, only a DIY'er who tries to save as much money as possible by doing things for himself.  But, if I cannot find the problem and it persists I'll contact the HVAC guy. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 04:00:55 AM by Roger2561 »
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 05:00:45 AM »

Roger, with the limited amount of oil burner stuff that I do, I'm going to say that it is probably the transformer getting weak, be very cautious messing around with it as they store up to 10,000 volts, de energize it by running an insulated screwdriver across the two springs with the service switch off and then it's safe to play with!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.
Pages: [1] 2