Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: can the G200 handle it???  (Read 5563 times)

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
can the G200 handle it???
« on: December 13, 2017, 08:49:45 AM »

ok guys,

we are expanding our dog kennels this spring and adding on another 1200sqft puppy whelping building up by the house. this building will only have 8ft ceilings and I will have it spray foamed no doubt. I also plan on doing R30 batt or equivalent blow in for the ceiling, so none the less it will be insulated well.

I am currently heating 4400 sqft as it is now the the G200. I have 2 sets of lines, one to the house and one for the shop. once I finish the ceiling insulation in the shop, it will be well insulated as the walls are spray foamed. The house is 2x6 construction and well insulated. Shop is heated by two 90k BTU heat exchangers, house is heated via forced air and of course the DHW.

I have a few questions/concerns: I want to add the 1200 sqft puppy room addition as well. This would raise my total Square feet to 5700. I would also have to add in a 3rd set of 1 1/4 rheau lines and set up a manifold on one of the supply and return ports.

I live is southeast Michigan. Who sees problems here??? or should I just upgrade or find a cheaper heating asolution for the addiontal building??

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
Re: can the G200 handle it???
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 09:03:38 AM »

How far from the boiler is this addition that you'd require 1-1/4" I know we talked about this awhile back but I tend to forget these things in my old age. I'd step the attic insulation up a bit, at least R38 but with foamed walls that 1200 sq ft will heat with a candle. Seeing your wood loads now, I say you have some room to expand

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 09:22:55 AM »

building will be approximately 75-100ft from boiler.  i also might build off the existing shop amd tee off the lines i already habe there.  which may or Mau not work.  i guess i should see where I'm at aftet this winter and then decide.  but we will be breaking ground as soon as we can in the sping.

off i ran a 3rd set of lines, would it be best to go with a radiant slab system?

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 10:45:09 AM »

Well, I’m heating 2800 sqft of house, 1850 sqft of poorly insulated shop and a sidewalk. Had the 14’ shop door wide open while I changed a trailer tire, all 200,000 BTU’s worth of shop heaters ran the whole time, dropped the storage water temp down to 147 degrees. was pulling a full 20F Δ with the house and the shop was pulling a full 30F Δ, G200 caught up and shut down. Shop insulation is crap, with all your spray foamed stuff I’d imagine it would barely notice another 1200sqft if done properly. I believe Schoppy is heating a lot more than you’ll have with a G200.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 11:42:46 AM »

good insaltion definitely makes a big difference!

Northwind

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: G200s
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 01:17:32 PM »

I would go with radiant in the Whelping building . This  way you can run water heated to a lesser temp . If you have Doors to runs , their gonna leak alot of air . Radiant will have far less swing in temp .

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 01:21:03 PM »

If you do forced air or especially radiant (think low temp emitter) a 1" line will easily heat it at that distance. I think a G2 will be fine. A few hours shorter burn time maybe.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 01:23:08 PM »

How far if you teed off in the other building instead of the furnace?
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 01:56:16 PM »

A radiant slab is definitely going to be the most efficient means of heating the space, and recovery from opening doors and such is nearly unnoticeable. 1" underground will easily serve that space and suck much less to wrestle into the trench! Depending on load in the existing shop, which sounds pretty light, you'd probably be able to tee into those lines as suggested and run a second pump to serve the new building if it's closer and easier to go that route vs a new line from the boiler. Whether forced air or radiant, this would work either way. I'm smitten toward radiant, but the cost is quite a bit higher. Your call man!

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 04:31:51 PM »

A radiant slab is definitely going to be the most efficient means of heating the space, and recovery from opening doors and such is nearly unnoticeable. 1" underground will easily serve that space and suck much less to wrestle into the trench! Depending on load in the existing shop, which sounds pretty light, you'd probably be able to tee into those lines as suggested and run a second pump to serve the new building if it's closer and easier to go that route vs a new line from the boiler. Whether forced air or radiant, this would work either way. I'm smitten toward radiant, but the cost is quite a bit higher. Your call man!

I'll go with radiant if you get your ass over here and drive across the frozen lake and install it for me hahaha

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 04:58:24 PM »

You can't afford me  ;) I like ya but that's a 13 hour drive each way! I get paid windshield time haha

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 04:58:55 PM »

I get paid windshield time haha

Princess…
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 05:37:14 PM »

Smokeless

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster ss.
  • OWF Model: G-100, 200,400
    • View Profile
    • PCWoodBoilerSystems
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 05:59:05 PM »

I think of it as a vacation when I drive to Maine from NY. Lol.

I have a customer with a g -200. Heating a 5000sq foot early 1900s bed and breakfast in Castleton VT
420’ 1” pex.  I installed two Grundfos 26-99s. One in basement and one on the furnace.
 The fella said his oil furnace only came on twice when he didn’t get out in the am to load it because he was cooking breakfast for the clients.
 That furnace is a work horse.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 06:51:24 PM by Smokeless »
Signature:
JD 401-c /Honda300atv/CAT 922-B/twofarmallCubs/2135 diesel Massey/8 chain saws/JMSloader/ 2017 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD
HeatMaster/Logstor  dealer for North east area NY VT NH MASS. Sales, installations, troubleshooting of hydronic systems and gasification issues.  Saratoga co, NY

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 06:10:54 PM »

nice! thats positive to hear! its keeping up good in the cold temps! seems to actually be performing better the colder it geys. i have only had to load about 8 inches above door frame at most so far.
Pages: [1] 2