Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Extending underground PEX  (Read 6800 times)

Jon_E

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G200 Gasifier
    • View Profile
Extending underground PEX
« on: January 16, 2018, 02:51:51 PM »

I would like to move my OWF about 10 feet in order to make a significant change in the layout of my wood heating operation.  The obstacle is the Central Boiler pex tubing which goes from the boiler to my house.  I could, in theory, just dig it up and replace it, but that's about a thousand bucks I have no reason to spend and about 85' of tubing wasted, with no other issues aside from being too short.  I would love to be able to simply extend it, but I have no clue how to do so and still maintain the insulation value of it.  Joining two pieces of PEX end to end is easy - it's the insulation and the hard outer shell and keeping it all watertight. 

Any ideas or suggestions?
Firewood collector and hot water enthusiast.

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
Re: Extending underground PEX
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 03:49:38 PM »

My favorite part about Thermopex. They make coupling kits for it with new insulation halves and an outer "boot" to keep it watertight. Just need to make your connections then scrape a little out of the new insulation halves to clear the couplings then slide the boot over and tighten it down. Make sure you slide the boot on before you crimp the couplings though! Ask how I learned that lesson.... I think they're like $85 for the kit

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 07:43:17 PM »

Yep Logstor makes a connection kit so I’m sure Thermopex offers the same.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

MD20/20

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: 325G
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 06:29:29 AM »

Does Rehau have a coupling device?
Central MD

Jon_E

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G200 Gasifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 08:35:34 AM »

Mine is the "old" stuff that is in a black corrugated outer shell - not the current stuff that is solid urethane foam and a hard rubberish smooth shell.  I doubt I can get that stuff to seal with any kind of boot or wrap.
Firewood collector and hot water enthusiast.

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 08:50:30 AM »

Mine is the "old" stuff that is in a black corrugated outer shell - not the current stuff that is solid urethane foam and a hard rubberish smooth shell.  I doubt I can get that stuff to seal with any kind of boot or wrap.

How about putting your splice in as long a piece of 6" or 8" pvc as you can (with the splice in the center of the pipe), then spray foaming into each end to fill some of the void between the pipe and your lines, then coating the ends of the pipe where the lines enter and exit with tar or caulking to seal it all up?
Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 08:55:07 AM »

Does Rehau have a coupling device?

I use primarily Rehau and have not ever seen a coupling kit... However the 1" Thermopex has the same outer diameter as 1" Rehau does, I'd be willing to bet the Thermopex kit would work on Rehau. Fun fact, Rehau actually manufactures Thermopex for Central Boiler

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 11:01:17 AM »

Look in the commercial cable splicing world.  I'm sure there's a heat shrink style tape, mastic, or tube available in a size that would work and it might even include a goop that seals the splice forever.  Barring that, I'd clean the underground part as best as possible, slide a piece of PVC or so over the splice and fill the void with a LOT of 2 part epoxy of some kind.  The goal is a water tight seal whereas the insulation for the foot or so of splicing doesn't really matter a whole lot as long as water doesn't get in.

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 12:14:31 PM »

I wonder.... They have couplings for corrugated drain tile, but they're not watertight, which is going to render your whole lineset garbage if it gets wet inside. We did a 200 yard run of 10" direct bury chilled water pipe a few years back at a prison. It was all preinsulated so we had to keep water out for the same reason. A guy came out, a rep from Covalence I believe, and gave us these "heat shrink" type sleeves like you'd use on wiring splices. Slid it over the pipe, made the connection, reinsulated, then slid the sleeve over the joint and heated it up with a weedburner to shrink it on to the pipe. That was smooth-ish wall, so not the same as you have but I wonder if you found like a 4 foot chunk of the heat shrink sleeve and made the coupling with a regular old drain tile coupling, then shrunk a couple feet on each side using each rib as an additional barrier.... Maybe? Or even just a regular old Fernco rubber coupling with the hose clamps and a whole lot of silicone. Dangerous either way I guess

racnruss

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort gt-220 sold P&M Optimizer 250 sold now Heatmaster 10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 06:45:25 PM »

We made a short run of pipe for my F in Law. It was just 10 feet because his boiler was sitting right outside his basement window.

We just drilled a few holes in the black pipe and filled it with cans of spray foam.   You could make your splice and spray foam in the black pipe for 6 feet either way or so. 

No guarantee here, but cheap and fast.    Cheap, Fast, and Reliable.... pick two.
Tree service Owner/Operator since 1997.  Central Iowa.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 08:09:42 PM »

Foam out of a can is open cell, water can and will get thru eventually. Closed cell needs two components that are mixed on site.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 03:03:35 AM »

I was almost positive great stuff was closed cell... ? Open cell is a lot softer.. I dunno. I've sealed a lot of basement wall penetrations with great stuff with no leaks.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 07:10:53 AM »

I dunno, used great stuff to seal the Logstor to the 6” sleeve in my wall that was left over from my homemade pipe, eventually water started dripping thru, water till it stopped and coated the whole inside with caulk, seems to have stopped it for now.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 10:49:38 AM »

Look for to OSI brand of spray foam and bicth a thane

schoppy

• OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 08:46:36 PM »

Also use minimal expanding so nothing gets crushed when using the foam. I would still make a sleeve and seal it with silicone for extra precaution.

One other issue is the connection of the pipe (type of fittings used) so it is not a restriction point in a long run.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter
Pages: [1] 2