Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: slab wood does the trick  (Read 4412 times)

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
slab wood does the trick
« on: January 29, 2018, 11:30:06 PM »

been heating with solely slab wood (all hardwoods) with zero issues. Mostly Ash, oak and maple. I had a few plp tell me that a straight slab diet wood not work good but man this things loves it. (Pic attached)

I think I will be heating solely with slabs from now on. Up here in MI its cheap...I can get 24 full cord delivered for 1,100. At that price its not even worth me going out and cutting my own!!!

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
Re: slab wood does the trick
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 05:29:24 AM »

Yeah, those are fairly nice good sized slabs. Go for it.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 06:09:55 AM »

My brother tried burning with slab wood one year.  He said it burnt way too fast.  Do you seem to have that problem?
Hudson, WI

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 06:39:10 AM »

I think soft wood slabs like pine would burn really fast , but those look like nice big pieces of hardwood slabs. I would bet that does work pretty good. Saves on splitting too. :thumbup:
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 11:49:57 AM »

I think soft wood slabs like pine would burn really fast

Yes, yes they do! Ran a bundle through my Cozeburn once and blew through it in just a couple days. Was filling the stupid thing 4 times a day

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 05:04:58 PM »

I got 32hrs off the amount loaded in the pic above. All the slabs we get are hardwood...no softwood. works great in this gasser :thumbup:

Pointblank

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 06:23:56 PM »

If i could find bundles like that id like to give it a try. Those look like nice, good sized slabs. The stuff I see around here always seems to have a lot of small stuff in them.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

schoppy

• OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 09:14:52 PM »

The slab wood I burned for a couple of years had way more small pieces than large ones like your picture shows.

32 hours on a load had to be a light heat load and is way too long for most efficient operation according to everything I have read and been told about loading a gasser. If I did that on my G200 I would have the entire inside wet with creosote from smoldering for so long on light loads and that is when the draft fan won't overcome the excessive smoke.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 09:54:46 PM »

The slab wood I burned for a couple of years had way more small pieces than large ones like your picture shows.

32 hours on a load had to be a light heat load and is way too long for most efficient operation according to everything I have read and been told about loading a gasser. If I did that on my G200 I would have the entire inside wet with creosote from smoldering for so long on light loads and that is when the draft fan won't overcome the excessive smoke.

I agree, I normally always load for 12 hours. was cutting up slabs on Sunday afternoon and all the ash I tossed to the side and decided to pack the boiler up with them all (not thinking it would be as much as it was). When I loaded the boiler at 4pm on Sunday it was 50 and sunny out. When I woke up Monday morning it was 19 and we had 6 inches of snow (got to love Michigan). Im heating 44000 sqft feet, so the load can only be so light...I could check my data logger and see how many cycles I got out of that load of work. It went until midnight on Monday night before having to be filled again. Its nice to know that given the situation, if needed, the g200 can handle a lot more square footage than im throwing at it. We are adding on (hopefully if the quote comes back decent) another 1200 sqft building next year, making it a total of 5600 sqft.

schoppy

• OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 10:09:43 PM »

I was sure that was a typo, 44000 sq ft? I'd have to ask how many planes you have in that hanger, LOL.

Even in the coldest weather we have had so far I can get 12 hour burn times from my G200 and I'm between 6000 and 7000 sq. ft. plus DHW.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 10:24:53 PM »

that's very good to know!!!! and yes 4400...no planes for me, not yet anyways :)

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 02:41:05 PM »

50 degs in January..... That ain't winter... That's summer !!!

wreckit87

• OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 04:56:16 PM »

I'm going to pick me up a bundle tomorrow and give it a shot. Buddy hauls logs to the Amish and brings home semi loads of slabs then sells them. Asked him this morning and he'll sell me them for $40 a bundle, about 3/4 cord of oak mostly debarked. Getting lazy in my old age, maybe I'll like it

Farmer Rob

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 06:10:18 PM »

I'm going to pick me up a bundle tomorrow and give it a shot. Buddy hauls logs to the Amish and brings home semi loads of slabs then sells them. Asked him this morning and he'll sell me them for $40 a bundle, about 3/4 cord of oak mostly debarked. Getting lazy in my old age, maybe I'll like it
We burned it many years and if you get it with no bark even better. Around here it sell for 490 delivered a load of 11-12 face cord so 40 is cheap but ours comes cut up already