Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Thermostat by-pass valve ???  (Read 3264 times)

buckgrunt

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300
    • View Profile
Thermostat by-pass valve ???
« on: November 04, 2017, 10:02:48 AM »

When I first installed by outdoor wood furnace (CB-2300) 7 years ago,  CB recommended that I install a thermostat by-pass valve, which only allows wood furnace heated water above 150 degrees to reach the heat exchanger.   I still don't understand why this is needed and I am thinking of getting rid of it after this heating season as it has malfunctioned several times.  Can someone out there tell me why I need this and what would happen if I removed it ?......

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
Re: Thermostat by-pass valve ???
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 10:17:42 AM »

That valve prevents cool return water from making a cold spot on the firebox or exhaust which could cause condensation and corrosion. If your return water temps stay high enough you could probably get by without it.
The valve would allow the furnace to heat up quicker as it wouldn't allow flow to go to the building until it's up to temp.
I don't use them myself. But I'm not installing CB's. They might not like it to be removed?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 10:19:34 AM by E Yoder »
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 12:20:55 PM »

That valve prevents cool return water from making a cold spot on the firebox or exhaust which could cause condensation and corrosion. If your return water temps stay high enough you could probably get by without it.
The valve would allow the furnace to heat up quicker as it wouldn't allow flow to go to the building until it's up to temp.
I don't use them myself. But I'm not installing CB's. They might not like it to be removed?

Meh, I know of a few CB’a in the area, soon as the warranty is done the thermostatic valves usually hit the scrap barrel first time they act up.

Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

bowood

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 02:04:21 PM »

My understanding is that constant temperature is important for the CB to prevent condensation and thus corrosion.  So having the bypass helps you avoid putting a load pulling heat out of the boiler too early when warming up or after it has cooled down.  I have a propane backup so I removed the bypass.  I want the propane boiler to pull heat into the wood boiler on the rare chance I have the fire out.  I.e. removing the bypass helped me keep the CB at constant temperature.  In fact I believe the manual said this is one of the only cases where they actually recommend removing the bypass.

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 07:34:04 AM »

I'm going to agree with Yoder. Have you monitored your supply/return temps at all? You're going to want to stay above 140 on the return to avoid condensation. If you are able to maintain a >140 return, I would definitely remove it if it's troublesome. Most I've talked to around here just keep them around in case of warranty issues and throw them back in, but I wouldn't advise cheating that thing CB calls a warranty. It is a good tool for boiler protection, but they do have a bad tendency to malfunction. Far as I know, CB is the only MFGR that requires them so I wouldn't worry too much about removing it if your system is up to par otherwise

real bill

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: global hydronic
  • OWF Model: GH-2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 01:28:56 PM »

Mine got to acting up and not enough heated water was getting to the heat exchanger, so mine was removed.  Now everything works a lot better, a lot more heat coming through.

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 05:54:42 AM »

Meh, I know of a few CB’a in the area, soon as the warranty is done the thermostatic valves usually hit the scrap barrel first time they act up.

So the day after you buy one correct?
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 06:02:22 AM »

So the day after you buy one correct?

What they do is beyond me. Like mentioned already, if your system is designed correctly the return water shouldn’t be below 140 anyways. It’s a cute ideal, I think P&M recommended using one as well just wasn’t part of the warranty though.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile