Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: She's up and running  (Read 6048 times)

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
Re: She's up and running
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 08:18:14 PM »

Glad to hear your fired up and running!! Ya its really nice not hearing the oil boiler fired up..Ive been reading heating fuel prices will be up 30% compared to last year..We'll see...Is your new baby stainless steel? (fire box)  I got a buddy who has the edge 550 (non stainless)..Slick boiler it is! Im assuming you got yours in Newport..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2018, 02:49:46 AM »

Yes, my baby the has stainless steel fire box.  She's been running great other than the temperature creep, it's consistent at 10 degrees over high set point.  I did indeed get it from Newport.  When I spoke to Wes about the temp creep he's the one who initiated the contact with CB.  I was surprised when a rep from CB headquarters called me later in the day and said they are sending a new controller.  Compared to the E-CLassic 1400, this is by far a much simpler unit to operate and the cleaning looks much easier too.     
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 03:13:32 AM »

I received the new controller for my Edge 500 HD on Friday.  Between rain storms I swapped it out.  I ran into another problem though, when I turned it on the digital display asked for the model.  I could not find in the manual how to select the model and no instructions came with the new one and it will not run with the model selected.  I tried calling my dealer but there was no answer so tried calling CB but everyone was tied up with other customers.  So, with rain approaching I decided to put the old one back.  I'll be trying to connect with my dealer or CB on how to select the model.  Once I have that I'll let everyone know how it goes.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

boilerman

• OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 08:08:24 PM »

XP wifi up and running. Connected easily to my router. I'm attempting to attach a screenshot of XP chart. Seems to run very similiar to my 2400. Fan shuts off at 185 and water temp overshoots by 4-5 degrees just from the intense burn and coals which is about the same as my 2400 at current 30 degree temperatures. Will probably overshoot less once get more of a winter heat load on it. No problem. Very stingy on wood usage, best guess is pretty similar to the 2400, but can better compare when gets colder. Firebox seems to be burning a little drier than the 2400 and burn recovery time may be quicker. My wood all has been seasoned for about a year which I've been ahead on now for many years, so getting nice reaction chamber temps of 1,000 - 1,400 degrees each burn cycle.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2018, 05:57:40 PM »

I finally had a day without rain so I was able to install the new controller.  With a little help from Tyler (IT guy)at CB, I was able to select the model and connect to the wifi.  After monitoring the Firestar the temperature overshoot hits about 4 degrees which is what I expected to see.  Now we'll see how she operates through the winter.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

the trailmaster

• OWF Brand: CENTRAL BOILER
  • OWF Model: 2400
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2018, 10:58:48 PM »

Roger  Great to hear everything is what you expected.  Are you generating as much creosote or less.  That is one of the draw backs with my 2400 in the Primary air tube and always has been.  Just curious if the newer designs have resolved some of those issues.
Trailmaster  Plymouth NH

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2018, 03:16:51 AM »

Roger  Great to hear everything is what you expected.  Are you generating as much creosote or less.  That is one of the draw backs with my 2400 in the Primary air tube and always has been.  Just curious if the newer designs have resolved some of those issues.

trailmaster - I've only been running for a couple of weeks, on Saturday I need to do a thorough cleaning and I'll have better idea of how she's burning.  What I know so far is she doesn't seem to use as much wood as my 1400 did but that's kind of hard to gauge due to the warm daytime temps we've been experiencing.  What I will like a lot is not having to lean into the fire box and poke through the holes to clean the primary air holes, the Edge 550 has removable primary air channel panels, simply remove the panels, scrape out any creosote buildup and put them back, castle nuts hold them in place.  The heat exchanger is accessed through the rear, remove the outer protective cover, open the inner door and walla, there she is!  I picked up a boiler brush from my local supply company to scrape the Hx it should make it a breeze to clean it.  The other thing I love about it is the reaction chamber is accessed from the front as well as the rear.  I'll report back after I give her a good cleaning tomorrow morning to let you know how it goes and any observations regarding creosote build up.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

boilerman

• OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2018, 11:11:24 AM »

Roger - Great to hear CB to care of your 10-15 degree overshoot issue. Sounds like it is running great now with new controller. I think my Edge firebox is running much drier than my Eclassic, with very little if any creosote buildup on the air hole areas and channels, are you finding the same to be true?

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2018, 01:52:54 PM »

Yes, it appears to be a drier firebox and I have not experienced any creosote build up whatsoever in the air channels.  I've had to baby sit her today due to not having established a coal bed after I cleaned her out this morning but she's getting better with hotter reaction chamber temps. 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire
Pages: 1 [2]