Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: insulating lines  (Read 2171 times)

d conover

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
insulating lines
« on: January 12, 2012, 12:58:05 PM »

I think I mentioned in another post that a highway is coming thru where our house was, and we have moved it and are building a new house.
Any way I have my H2 Hardy temporarily hooked up 25' behind our house sitting on two railroad ties, I ran two pex lines to the house, put them in cheap foam pipe insulation and wrapped them in reflextix and taped it about every 6 inches. It is just laying on top of the ground.
It is doing a whole lot better than it did the past 12 years when it was buried 3' deep in 6" pvc pipe with no insulation.
It snowed overnight and didn't melt on top of the reflectix. I am impressed at this point.

I can't believe a local installer just buries the pex 18" in the bare ground.
Southeast Missouri
Hardy H4
044 Stihl
038 Stihl
5100s Dolmar
55R husqvarna
CS301 Echo

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
Re: insulating lines
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 02:38:31 PM »

Uninsulated pex directly in the ground would be very shoddy workmanship.  This is one of the reasons that I am a fan of DIY.
Muskoka, Ont

mikenc

• View Profile
Re: insulating lines
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »

Goes to show how important insulation is. Mine is buried about 2 ft and run inside 6" pvc to. They have never melted snow either. Insulated them myself. So far they are doing ok. Hope they last a looooong time looking at the prices of new pipe (scarey.Can't imagine the amount of heat loss using no insulation.