Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Worst install pictures  (Read 2760 times)

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
Worst install pictures
« on: July 11, 2018, 07:53:31 AM »

Ok, so the picture doesn't show much. I didn't want to crawl much closer.
The things we do to hook up a furnace-
Old houses..
 the black ABS vertical pipe had come loose from the tee below, creating a "pond" all around..  when the customer flushed it came shooting out.  Looked like it had been like this for quite a while. Had it's own little ecosystem going.
And the breaker panel we needed to get into is just to the right of the toilet.
Be thankful when you have a nice boiler room.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 08:13:07 AM by E Yoder »
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Worst install pictures
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 10:24:27 AM »

Yep, I’m going to charge a lot more for the next crawl space I have to work in. Last one was kinda weird, sump pump ran what seemed like constantly yet was the dustiest basement I was ever in, then the crawl space I could swear somebody spread lime in it. Came out covered in white dust every time.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

greasemonkoid

• OWF Model: NCB175
  • wnc mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 04:15:37 PM »

Gentlemen, I commend you both for what you do. I handle some nasty stuff in a hot environment, but the idea of crawling on my belly in a damp crawl space with human and termite feces and Lord knows what else makes my skin crawl.

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 04:45:51 PM »

I don't have any pictures, but it's come to a point that I won't even bid the job anymore if I need to wade through a cesspool or field of spider webs and rodent skeletons. I think the worst was under a 50 year old motel back when I was still in high school. Roughly 16" high crawlspace, about 120ft long, dragging Logstor through a jungle of spiders and dead cats and whatever else goes on under a 50 year old building. I'm claustrophobic as can be to start with, and I'm absolutely repulsed by spiders. That job ruined me for a very long time, but hey, I needed that $100 to buy beer! I'm cringing just thinking about it...

Or the other one when the lady brought out a pan of brownies to the barn where we were installing a Tarm boiler on a Saturday morning, again in high school, so I ate a pile of them and went on my way. Came time to get in the basement and this lady HAD to have 30 cats in the house. They were friggin everywhere. Well I had to move a big sack of something to get at the furnace, so while grabbing the sack I looked inside and saw a nice creamy pile of cat sh!t on top of 40 lbs of flour in that sack. Took me a few minutes to realize that there is flour in brownies, and I had just eaten half a pan of them. Much vomiting ensued

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 02:23:08 AM »

Wow, that's a hoot.
I will say this, the folks at the job I described were super nice people. Fed us pizza for lunch, helped out however they could. That's my favorite part about this business, meeting lots of people and new places every day.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 06:33:14 PM »

Wow, that's a hoot.
I will say this, the folks at the job I described were super nice people. Fed us pizza for lunch, helped out however they could. That's my favorite part about this business, meeting lots of people and new places every day.

Yes! That's one of my favorite things about this field. The hospitality of some people is phenomenal and I love it. Shows there are still nice folks out there. Had a guy last winter that called at 6am needing a new pump like right NOW so I drove over there and swapped out a 2 month old 009 for a 26-99 beacuse his guy wouldn't answer the phone and when finished the guy asked if I wanted a beer. So I laughed and said Will it's 7am. He says "that ain't what I asked" and shoved a Busch Light in my hand. So him and I had a 12 pack and BS'd for a couple hours, had a good chat, and first thing in the spring he hired me for a new 4800 sq ft shop and just last week called again for a new house build. Relating with the customers on a personal level goes a long way for both parties IMO. I love this trade