Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Humble Apology  (Read 16607 times)

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
Humble Apology
« on: October 14, 2011, 11:39:58 AM »

Just wanted to post a few lines and let you all know about a valuable lesson I've recently learned. For a few years now I've been going to farm shows, fairs, stopping by the side of the road, doing internet research, etc., trying to determine for myself what the best OWB brand is. I've looked at more than 10 brands personally,including Wood Doctor, as well as research on about 15 or so others. I've talked to dealers, company owners, boiler owners, factory reps, as well as a few of you folks. I came to the conclusion that the Wood Doctor brand was one of the best built boilers out there. I stand by that conclusion where build quality is concerned. It has been brought to my attention recently, however, that I have allowed myself to be misled where warranty issues are concerned. I am the type of person who ALWAYS tries to see the best in people. There have been a few times in my life where this has really came back to bite me in the butt. This is one of those times. My perception of Wood Doctor management was entirely wrong. I'll relate to you folks what is going on with a dear older lady and WD management right now.
   An older couple from Stockbridge Mi bought a Wood Doctor 8000 gasifier in the fall of 2008. It worked flawlessly through the '08-'09 season. It developed a leak towards the end of the '09-'10 season. They notified their dealer. He was to get it replaced in the summer of '10. He went out of business in the interim and never got it done. They were able to use it for the '10-'11 season, but had to add water  very often. It is now leaking so badly it is unusable. They had been working with Wood Doctor and their agents for well over a year now to get their OWB either replaced or repaired. In the last few months they've not been able to get a hold of anyone who represents Wood Doctor. Corol (she told me to use her first name) called me about six weeks ago. She remembered me from last spring when I came to visit and look at her 8000. She told me how much she liked it, but in our brief conversation neglected to tell me about the leak, as she knew in her mind that Arthur would keep his word and get it fixed before the '11-'12 heating season. She knew that I've had many lengthy conversations with Rick and asked if I might be able to help. I've recently made 3 calls to his phone and left messages and I've not received any reply. Winter will set in on our state very soon, and this older couple's means of heating their home is not functional. Neither Arthur or Rick will return her calls.
   I'm not here to try to"bash" any manufacturer, or demean anyone's character. I'm here to state some facts that are currently happening, as well as humbly apologize to anyone who may have recently bought an OWB from Wood Doctor based on my some of my older posts. I firmly believed that I had a friend in Rick based upon our numerous lengthy conversations. I firmly believe now that I was being deliberately misled just to make a sale.
   I didn't play a role in Carol and her husband's decision to purchase a Wood Doctor boiler, but it sure puts a heavy burden on my heart when a senior calls with tears in her voice and asks for my help in getting her OWB functional before the snow flies.
   Carol has promised to keep in touch with me concerning her progress with getting her boiler either repaired or replaced. I will keep you all updated. I'm hoping some of you good folks might know someone associated with Wood Doctor who might be able to help her out.
   Once again folks, if what I said in my older posts pertaining to the content of the character of Wood Doctor management persuaded you in your decision to purchase one of their OWB's. I am sorry. I stand by my quality of construction statements.
   Marty

Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Humble Apology
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 12:49:26 PM »

the way the fellow who claimed to be arthur showed up here and gave a long winded statement about his company and how they stand behind their products a while ago..well...i humbly accepted his presence here as a man whom was setting things straight...you know, right from teh horses mouth. but as of late he had not been around to addresss any of the concerns on his companies move or the other warranty issues that have come up here on the forum. \i know there are two sides to every story but when you think as i do (that arthur is lurking here in the forums often) and he has never shown up for a long while that maybe his company has decided to shut the doors and try and sell off what stock they have  and then move on to one of his other many companies?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

oldchenowth

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 01:32:42 PM »

I did buy a Wood Doctor and --- so far--- have been quite happy with it's performance.  I bought one for mainly one reason, boiler plate = mild steel = weldable.  I have little to no faith in ANYONES warranty!  IF mine develops a leak, I am a competent welder to hopefully fix the problem in short order. If it is above my capabilities, I know a welding company that can fix it.  Not to let WD and Arthur off the hook.  You made a warranty, man up and fulfill it.  Don't be a puss and not return calls.  I would suggest to this dear ole gal she find a welding company that can make a repair.  It will be expensive on her part, but even a thousand dollars is cheaper than propane all year.  I don't want to sound mean to her, and it is not her fault by any means, but my guess is it will not get resolved at all or in time for the cold weather.  I am in Michigan myself, it is starting as of this week to get colder.  If the poop hits the fan, me and my baby blue 251 will be throwing sparks patching the thing up. 

I know a welder in Lake Odessa that claims he can fix 'em and build 'em.  I don't know what a trip to Stockbridge would cost, but I have a lot of faith in his abilities and he has a mobile welding truck.  Send me a message if I can be of any help.  I don't know Arthur or John to help with the warranty, just how to fix what they won't seem to.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 03:35:01 PM »

I did buy a Wood Doctor and --- so far--- have been quite happy with it's performance.  I bought one for mainly one reason, boiler plate = mild steel = weldable.  I have little to no faith in ANYONES warranty!  IF mine develops a leak, I am a competent welder to hopefully fix the problem in short order. have a lot of faith in his abilities and he has a mobile welding truck.  Send me a message if I can be of any help.  I don't know Arthur or John to help with the warranty, just how to fix what they won't seem to.

i built my own for the same reason..mild steel i can weld easily and it was a lot cheaper to buy.this will be winter 11 for mine and it is still going strong
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 09:57:09 PM »

I have found over the years a company is only as good as there service after the sale. When it comes time to fix something then you get the real picture. They can talk the talk but don't want to walk the walk. Hate those folks are having trouble. Maybe they can find a local welder that can weld up leak. I like the mild steel idea myself. Not done much welding in about ten years but still think i can burn a rod good enough to stop a leak. Use to cut out and patch old steel boilers that had rusted through. So may still be able to patch mine if needed.

Jcl

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 05:33:05 PM »

they wont replace it.   they are not making the 8000 anymore and there was a hundred orders taken with no stoves made.   slowly they are repaying.    my friend finally got all his money back.  they still owe me $700 but i did get my He5000 this week after paying for it in May. 

my friend bought a CB2400 we both looked at both boilers.  Both of us like the wood doctor.     hopefully i don't end up in Carol and her husband situation!!   
wood doctor He5000
Block buster wood processior
Jd 855 backhoe

martyinmi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 07:55:51 PM »

Carol has hired an attorney to try and go after Wood Doctor. She has filed a complaint with the states attorney general also. It appears that it may be very difficult to go after any OWB manufacturer. The states attorney can, however, make it very hard for them to do business in our state, and in a worst case scenario can prevent their product from being transported through our state.
   Myself and one of my friends were thinking about going over to her home and repair the boiler, but we have been advised not to do it- for a little while anyway.
   I'll keep ya'll posted as things progress. This will be a learning experience for us all.

Marty
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

oldchenowth

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 05:09:43 AM »

What's the latest word Marty? I've been keeping a close eye on this one as I just bought my WD last year.  My math says I have nine more years left on my "warranty" so this story is of great interest to me.  I hope Miss Carol gets good results, pretty hard frost here this morning, not the time to be without ole ironsides puffing away.

HappyCmpr

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 07:08:26 AM »

Wow.  Just found this forum and the story is exactly as I suspected.  Aurthur told me he had the materials to build the HE8000 at the new factory last March and gladly took my payment, in full, for mine in August. "4 week turnaround".   Can't get an answer on the phone or email.  Getting really cold outside and no WB in sight.  Any suggestions to getting the money back sooner than later?

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 08:13:53 AM »

I hope you got a receipt.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

HappyCmpr

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 09:13:38 AM »

The bank I wired the money to confirmed that it went into the Wood doctor account.  Funny, the banker can't get through to Arthur either. 

martyinmi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 06:04:30 PM »

An update where Carol is concerned-
   Just got off the phone with her a few minutes ago. She still has not received any reply from anyone associated with Wood Doctor. She's having a hard time finding a welder that is willing to come to her house and repair her 8000. I'm going to go through the yellow pages tomorrow morning and make some calls to see if I might be able to help her out.
   Does anyone from the mid-Michigan area know of a competent welder who might be willing to tackle this job for her? If so, could you send me a p.m. with a phone number.
   Thanks in advance,

Marty
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

oldchenowth

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 09:00:07 PM »

Funny, they answered right away when I inquired about refractory brick and called back with a price. :-[ Holy crap!!!
C'mon Arthur and John, step up to the plate and take responsibility.  I defended you guys at the beginning even though there small issues with my stove.  These good people invested good hard earned AMERICAN money with you.  Weren't you moving your operation to the States to increase that AMERICAN dollar in your pockets?  Take your lumps like men, admit your mistakes and refund these folks THEIR money. 

Sorry for my rant.  I mean no disrespect to our other respectable Canadian friends.  Just think men should have honor, no matter what the monetary cost.  Guess I'll shut up before I get myself in too much trouble.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 09:06:09 PM »

Sorry for my rant.  I mean no disrespect to our other respectable Canadian friends.  Just think men should have honor, no matter what the monetary cost.  Guess I'll shut up before I get myself in too much trouble.
[/quote]

i dont think our borders should make men differnent in honour. a handshake should be as good as a legal contract and to lend a hand to a neighbour in trouble should not be surprising, it should be the norm! it used to be like this when i was a kid and i grew up with those beliefs taught to me. i know there are more like me out there but for some reason we are dwindling in numbers...why?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 06:51:26 AM »

I was brought up like WillieG
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"
Pages: [1] 2 3