Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: WTH  (Read 6718 times)

coolidge

• View Profile
Re: WTH
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 03:45:21 AM »

How many cords does it take for your 5000 sq ft there Coolidge? I'm heating 5400 sq ft as well as my domestic hot water and using around 10-12 cord. I'm located in Ky so my climate not as extreme as the Northern states. I burn oak and hickory mostly. Keep my house 72 from one end to the other, 24 hours a day.

Generally I am using 8 to 10 cord per year.
Western Maine

Bluegrass Wood Burner

• OWF Brand: Ozzark Biomass
  • OWF Model: Gasconade 500 gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 06:21:25 AM »

Sounds like Im on track. I have wandered how im comparing to others with the same square footage. My house is an old Elementary school house that was bought at public aution by some other folks and remodeled to be a restaurant. Before they could get it open for business the health dept. shut their project down due to lack of septic drainage. So they then just made a house out of it and sold it at public auction again. Me and my wife just happened to be at the auction and thought we were gonna buy furniture. I think everyone was afraid of the house because of thier high heating bills the year before. (650.00-700.00) Large rooms with 11 ft ceilings. The OWB has been a problem solver on that. 120.00 per month average electric bill since I installed it 15 months ago.  :thumbup:
South central Kentucky
Ford F-150
16 ft tandem trailer
3000# winch
Husqvarna 142
Husqvarna 460 rancher
6ft spud bar
Poulan 3314
22 ton lowes splitter
Timberline sharpener
"Worn out body"

oldchenowth

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: WoodDoctor
  • OWF Model: HE 5000
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 06:26:00 AM »

Same situation here.  Dead Ash that has been down for at least 1 season, going thru it like a mad fool.  Parents are the same way with their indoor wood furnace, high consumption.  My first thought was it is TOO dry.

woodman

• OWF Brand: hawken
  • OWF Model: he1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 07:34:20 AM »

Having wood that is too dry is like having too much money, it is not possible. The overall burn time may be decreased but the amount of net btu's is greater since there is less moisture that must be evaporated. It is simply a matter of heat transfer or lack there of and idle times.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 08:53:50 AM »

Without storage like the indoor gassification boilers use I think that there is a point that is to dry for outdoor conventional style boilers. Most conventional style boilers don't have the best heat transfer and also can have excessive idle times which burn off the btus to the atmosphere. There is a happy medium I believe for the conventional owb. To high moisture content and you are wasting most of your energy to burning off the water. To little and you are just burning it off while idleing and not moving it into the water. Somewhere in the middle the wood doesn't burn off fast when idleing but has less usable btus because of the burning off of water. The european indoor gassers burn wide open until expelled charging up a 'battery' of water typically 500-1000 gallons with the btus produced.

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 06:28:27 PM »

Update;  been burning some of my wetter wood as an experiment, off course longer burn times, but I am getting a blue ish flame in the gasification chamber instead of a orange blowtorch.
Western Maine

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 09:21:40 PM »

Without storage like the indoor gassification boilers use I think that there is a point that is to dry for outdoor conventional style boilers. Most conventional style boilers don't have the best heat transfer and also can have excessive idle times which burn off the btus to the atmosphere. There is a happy medium I believe for the conventional owb. To high moisture content and you are wasting most of your energy to burning off the water. To little and you are just burning it off while idleing and not moving it into the water. Somewhere in the middle the wood doesn't burn off fast when idleing but has less usable btus because of the burning off of water. The european indoor gassers burn wide open until expelled charging up a 'battery' of water typically 500-1000 gallons with the btus produced.

I have a friend that claimed he got more heat out of green wood, I simply pointed out that his conventional isn’t efficient enough to capture all the heat from dry wood and most is lost up the stack, green wood burns slower so less heat is lost even though some is lost due to having to boil the water out of the wood before it can burn.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 06:47:08 PM »

My Manuel says to burn at 20-25%  ...and that REallly dry wood masked creasot ….?????w???

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 06:14:24 PM »

I have no free kin idea what is going on this year, this past weekend with overnight lows in the 20's I was getting 16 to 18 hours on a 3/4 load. Today highs in the 20's, I left for work, came home 5 hours later and water temp down to 158, that's with half a firebox load.
  Cleaned heat exchanger, nothing. Put another half load in, gassing like a jet engine, you can hear it from 20 ft away, turned air settings all in, still a flamethrower. Figured what the heck, stuck 6 turbulators in.
Western Maine

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2016, 06:10:38 PM »

Well was up in the rafters of the garage, happened too look over by the t stat, looked kinda funny, went and checked it out looks like my oil change barrel had crushed the t stat wire and somehow the two were touching, thus heat running 24/7 in garage.   :bash:
Western Maine

fireman69lfd

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 06:41:43 PM »

Well at least you found out what the problem was. It could have been a lot worse !!
Russ
Near Okemo Mtn. Ski area Vermont
Pages: 1 [2]