Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Got wood  (Read 4817 times)

coolidge

• View Profile
Western Maine

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
Re: Got wood
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 07:09:58 AM »

I called my "guy" early January, and had a 9 cord load of logs three days later.  Price dropped 50$ vs the last couple years.  There was about 50 logs in the load, all maple, maximum diameter about 30 inches, and general average between 12 to 20 inches.  They have since been blocked up and I am working on splitting them now.  Probably half done.  This load won't be burnt until the fall of 2019.  I may get another load now, since it comes out of the bush nice and clean, and cut/split next November to avoid the snow and cold. 
Muskoka, Ont

greasemonkoid

• OWF Model: NCB175
  • wnc mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 01:01:15 PM »

It's probably different due to climate, but in my area I cruise craigslist in the summer for folks wanting cut trees removed from their yard. There have been pleasant and physically draining experiences, but with patience and consistency there is more wood close by than a man can handle. In time the wood seems to find you.

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 01:21:47 PM »

Agree, just gotta keep your eyes open..
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

tree climber

• OWF Brand: leaky 165 shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 08:17:42 PM »

I see a lot of wood for free on craigslist here in ky. I have a tree service and have more wood than I can burn

Farmer Rob

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 02:47:46 PM »

Hello neighbor(kinda of )  I have to ask about the load of wood your getting and if you think he would deliver to my area and cost per load please?

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 09:55:18 PM »

Already bought my wood for the 18'-19' season back in November $850 a load (8 cord)
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 12:16:38 PM »

Went out to the woods this morning for the first time in 4 years following a back injury. Met my dad out there to cut a couple small loads of deadfall. Of course my damn saw wouldn't start even though I just used it yesterday at home, tore it apart and found there was no spark. Oh well, whatever. Took dad's saw and started cutting, after not much more than 1/2 cord I couldn't stand up straight anymore. We each filled a 5x8 trailer loosely and went home. Took a 45 minute HOT shower to loosen up the back and now I'm laying on a pile of ice packs. Guess I'll go back to buying it again next year for $110 a cord delivered. 40 acres of oak just 2 miles up the road for the taking and I'm too crippled to be able to cut it, damn shame

Farmer Rob

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 04:18:05 PM »

Went out to the woods this morning for the first time in 4 years following a back injury. Met my dad out there to cut a couple small loads of deadfall. Of course my damn saw wouldn't start even though I just used it yesterday at home, tore it apart and found there was no spark. Oh well, whatever. Took dad's saw and started cutting, after not much more than 1/2 cord I couldn't stand up straight anymore. We each filled a 5x8 trailer loosely and went home. Took a 45 minute HOT shower to loosen up the back and now I'm laying on a pile of ice packs. Guess I'll go back to buying it again next year for $110 a cord delivered. 40 acres of oak just 2 miles up the road for the taking and I'm too crippled to be able to cut it, damn shame
It is a shame at times when one has wood so close can almost see the pile  laying there already. I also know what you mean about working part of a day then in a tub or shower for a long while so you can move again.I always say getting old can be no fun at times and it sure seems after 50 it goes down hill Fast. I saw slab wood the other day for $30 a bundle and I will go next sale day again and if they have it again pickup 10 or so bundles will for sure save working in the bush especially when is wet and nasty.

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 11:10:14 PM »

It is a shame at times when one has wood so close can almost see the pile  laying there already. I also know what you mean about working part of a day then in a tub or shower for a long while so you can move again.I always say getting old can be no fun at times and it sure seems after 50 it goes down hill Fast. I saw slab wood the other day for $30 a bundle and I will go next sale day again and if they have it again pickup 10 or so bundles will for sure save working in the bush especially when is wet and nasty.

I'm actually only 29, it's just a nasty curse. The old man is 55 and will run circles around me in the woods now! I inherited this issue from his wife who ironically is having her 11th back surgery next week. Thinking the same, I bought a single bundle of slabs for $40 a few weeks ago from a friend who sells hundreds of bundles a year, thinking it was worth a try, and the entire "3/4 cord" bundle lasted me 2 days. I took an entire Bobcat bucket of bark out today, as well as another half bucket of ash that came from that bundle. 3/4 cord of block wood will last me 3-4 weeks in this weather. Be careful sir!

KevinSantelik

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 08:35:05 AM »

Dropped a dead 28" maple yesterday,  Storm 2-weeks ago knocked off a couple large 8" branches, luckily not on the house but close enough.  It left all the upper weight going towards the house, and had cracks in the limb leaning over the bedroom. 

Tied a rope to it and pulled tight with the truck and a "text book tree notch", Luckily all went well and it fell 15' short of the house power line, and 15' from the garage. 

Still got 6-8 cherrys that need to come down and 2 dead oaks 16"-20" and a hickory 14-16" that has a 25-30 degree lean to it, feel like that one is going to come down everytime I mow around that one.
Lowell, Indiana
Ridgewood 6000

Stihl 362
Jonsered 2245