Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21

Author Topic: Gasification wood boiler build  (Read 123056 times)

vpd66

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Gasification wood boiler build
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2010, 10:24:46 AM »

Good to hear its not permanent. I would gladly take a week or two off to save jobs. My company usally has "volutary ferlows" for a week or two around Febuary-March, but it looks like we have enough work to keep us busy this winter. Good luck

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2010, 03:29:38 PM »

have you been saving your receipts? whats the tally up to? if your work don't call you back you might be building those things for a living! im sure you could sell a few on here to some guys that are sick of there old smokeys. :thumbup:

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2010, 07:36:27 PM »

No tally on my cost yet.I don't want to know :o
I did finnish up the last couple of brick I had to cut and put in.I then had to cut my lower door apart and modify the outside to make it a little bigger than it's original size.I bent it up in the brake before I bent the bottom chamber.Just wasn't going to fit the way I wanted it to.
I then proceeded to start making the hinge and the lock mechanism.got those pieces done,and ready to be welded together tomorrow.I decided to quit for the night.The salamander can only get the shop up to 50 degrees.It's like 9 degrees outside here.My shop is fairly big,and not insulated all the way yet.I was tired of listening to it run.So I shut it off and worked till i got cold.
My 1" pex clamp rings came today that I bought on ebay.I picked up a few pex fittings today at Menards while I was in town.I don't remember if I told you guys or not but my heat exchanger for my furnace came the other day.
Looks like a real nice piece.I still have it in the box.I will have to get a pic of it tomorrow for you guys.
Anyways here is a few more update pics.....

:pic:

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2010, 11:06:57 PM »

Man it was a long day today.even though I didn't get started till after 3pm on the boiler.I did fix my mom's fireplace and a bad breaker in her panel box.
So I finally got out to the shop after picking the kids up after school.I managed to get all the lower door built,and installed.Now I have to show you my little secret i have been holding out on you guys.
I don't think you are going to see any other store bought outdoor wood boilers with built in gas chamber sight  glass! >:D
Well You will have to just check out the pics here ,and in the next post to see it all mounted.

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2010, 11:10:33 PM »

>:D
 :thumbup:

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

bikeralan

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2010, 12:49:32 AM »

Cool! I used to work in a foundry and was in the melting dept. The cupolo that melted the iron had things called tweirs (sp?) that forced air in, they were very similar to what you have.
Will be neat to watch all your hard work gassifying and keeping your home warm.
Good work!

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2010, 09:51:58 PM »

Ok here is a shot of the bypass rod going through just the packing gland assembly I made to thread onto the pipe the rod will go in.I don't have the other end screwed on so you could see the rope seal i filled the large pipe coupling with to seal the rod and tube with.
Then I decided to put new seal on the bypass door ,and also show you the ramp that the bypass rod pushes on to get the door to open the hieght I wanted.
Then you can see in the 3rd pic the door is back in ,and I have the rope seal for the top cover in place so I can bolt the cover in place.

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2010, 10:02:08 PM »

Here is a shot of the bypass rod's tube welded into the box.
Then we have a pic of the exhaust stack put into place and held up with my temporary brace.It totally sucks trying to hold a 36' long piece of shedule 40 pipe over top your head by yourself. :bash:
Then I tacked the top and bottom.Used my plumb bob to check the distance from the centerline of the base to the side of the pipe.  plus 3 5/16" to make sure my stack was running straight out the back.

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2010, 10:09:42 PM »

Now I will shoe you my overflow pipe.I didn't want this thing puking on the roof.So I taped into the water guage stack,and then ran a drain line ove the side,then down ,and exit out the not used fork pocket.
Then I hung the panel box up,and started running my conduit and wires.I started terminating my wires to my controllers and relay.This crap is what takes so long.Coming along nicely though.

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

macmgfd

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2010, 10:24:47 PM »

Looks great. What end of your push rod pipe are you putting the packing on? I am curious because that is something I can't get planned out for mine. I like how the rear of the boiler is laid out with your controls and draft blower real neat and organized. Great job keep it up. :thumbup:
Sachs 112
Stihl 025
Stihl 032
Mono
Titan 30

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2010, 10:33:51 PM »

here is a quick video of the bypass in action.
gassification wood boiler bypass door
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2010, 10:38:44 PM »

Looks great. What end of your push rod pipe are you putting the packing on? I am curious because that is something I can't get planned out for mine. I like how the rear of the boiler is laid out with your controls and draft blower real neat and organized. Great job keep it up. :thumbup:
This is a 1 1/4" pipe coupler that is reduced down to 1/2" pipe on one end.It is inside the bypass box.I didn't want any crud making it's way back down the tub to the fron of the stove.
On the outer end of the couple(the end were you see the rope seal hanging out)I again used 2 reducers(but the last one was a 1"to 3/8" recuder I drilled out to a little over a half inch so I would have a nice smooth hole for the rod to ride through,and not threads to gall up the shaft.
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

quik_vw

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2010, 06:14:30 PM »

Looking good,
I really like the sight glass, I know you will post a vid of the burn when the time comes.  This isn't your typical OWB, it is clear you have put much thought and planning into this project.  It's nice to see a project as it progresses, and especially when it's in the home stretch.  We are expecting single digit temp's here in sw mich. early next week, I know it's got to be getting cold there as well.  I bought 5 cord of firewood last week, that should take me through till spring.  I haven't been able to work on my project this week as other things have taken priority.
I have however ordered another round of parts, and will be able to get some time on it tomorrow.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2010, 10:55:21 PM »

Looking good,
I really like the sight glass, I know you will post a vid of the burn when the time comes.  This isn't your typical OWB, it is clear you have put much thought and planning into this project.  It's nice to see a project as it progresses, and especially when it's in the home stretch.  We are expecting single digit temp's here in sw mich. early next week, I know it's got to be getting cold there as well.  I bought 5 cord of firewood last week, that should take me through till spring.  I haven't been able to work on my project this week as other things have taken priority.
I have however ordered another round of parts, and will be able to get some time on it tomorrow.
Yeah i have really put alot of thought into different things on it,and thanks for the compliments.
Today was like a heat wave here.I ran to my buddy's shop ,and picked up the 1" plate steel that will be the bottom of the burn chamber.He also gave me the B-deck steel to put in the bottom of my base to seal up the bottom and put insulation under the bottom of the tank.Then he gave me some tan metal sheets to use for my roof,and the  screws to put it on.Then he also gave me what was left of a roll of 1" pex to use under my house.
Me and my son(who just turned 11) were under the house all evening running that stuff and insulating it.We are both wore out after doing that all evening.
Yeah the weather is supposed to go to the crapper on moday.I was hoping to have it done by sunday,but I am not sure.I ordered my pumps ,and some y strainers from Natures Comfort through my friend who is a dealer.They were supposed to be here 2 weeks ago when I went and got my pipe.They supposedly shipped them wednesday.I still don't have them,so it might not matter if i am done sunday or not.
I got a pic of the kids decorating our tree after i helped them put on the lights and garland.

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2010, 02:51:25 PM »

Ok I am coming in to warm up,and dry out.I was cutting that plate for the bottom of the burn chamber,and it started to rain.Still trying to rain,but the temp is dropping again.I got the B-deck in the bottom of the frame,and then the end cap put on.
I then fabbed the throttle plates and adjusting handles for the air box.I tried to put some primer on the front of the tank,and the doors.I hope it will dry fairly soon.I have an electric heater blowing on the front of it.
Oh ,and I made a video I will post up of me cutting the plate.(In the Dang Rain! :bash:)

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21