Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: compact tractors: Mahindra vs. LS  (Read 9027 times)

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
compact tractors: Mahindra vs. LS
« on: December 06, 2017, 06:52:12 AM »

so I am in the market for a 30-40hp 4 x 4 diesel compact tractor. I have done a bit of research as well as talked to a lot of the local farmers. I have narrowed by decision down to either an LS or a Mahindra. I am going to the dealers this weekend to check out their models and see which is right fit for me and my family. Looks like the LS dealer is willing to work with me on a cash offer were as the Mahindra dealer was a bit more pricey for the same HP and not willing to budge at all.

Anyone own either??? experiences??? Thanks

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: compact tractors: Mahindra vs. LS
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 08:55:08 AM »

Whats an LS?

I have a cousin that has an NH clone, turns out the brand name is the same company that builds the smaller tractors for NH.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 09:12:39 AM »

LS is NH

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 06:34:27 PM »

Keep in mind all these new tractors have those tier 4 engines that require DEF fluid. Guy down the street just bought a Kioti, been in the shop more than the field.

Maybe a good used one without the Emissions?
Western Maine

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 06:44:16 PM »

My old man has a 50 HP New Holland Boomer, not sure on the model number. 4x4 hydro with loader. Nice little rig, very nimble in the woods and easy on the lawn. It's about 5 years old now and last time I used it there was around 400 hours on the clock, far as I know it's never been in the shop except for when it was brand new the rear end housing was leaking and right after that the boom got stuck 3/4 of the way up, I think there was an air bubble in the valve or something silly. Can't remember. Was $25k brand new

Pointblank

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 07:15:47 PM »

No real experience with those brands but i can offer some suggestions. I think most come standard with this now, but Id look to get the skid steer quick attach for the front end loader. Switching between attachments is super easy and your options for implements will be endless. Also, If you plan on doing a lot of loader work, I'd look into loading the rear tires or maybe a weight box for the 3 point.

Im sure you'll enjoy your purchase which ever one you go with, i picked up a 30 horse compact tractor 7 or 8 years ago and its been the best tool I've ever bought.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 08:16:55 PM »

I think I’d look hard at a tier 3 gently used one before buying one that used DEF. I’ve heard some real horror stories about tier 4 diesels. A friend is doing quite well installing delete kits in his spare time.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 03:00:34 AM »

that's a damn good thought about the tier 4 engines....does anyone know when they stopped making the teir 3's???

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 06:23:22 AM »

I’m wanting to say 2010 or 2011 was the last year for tier 3’s.

We have one combine that uses a tier 3, no actual emissions crap on it that I know of but it does use a lot more sensors than the older combine. Both have basically the same engine, a 8.3 cummins, just the newer one doesn’t even have a throttle lever on it, you turn a knob to select engine speed. fairly reliable engine, always starts, but have already changed both the cam and crank position sensors. However the newer one is nicer than the old one in one aspect, the way the charge/lift pump is set up if you change filters or run out of fuel it self primes unlike the older one with the mechanical injection pump.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

schoppy

• OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 12:55:39 AM »

Well d5knapp you're in luck. I just spent 3 months researching compact utility tractors and recently made my purchase.

First of all DEF engines start above 60 horsepower. I did not find any of the manufacturers using DEF at 60 hp and this includes Tier 4 which mine is. ALL tractors in this category are made across the pond somewhere. Some may say assembled in America (John Deere) but that basically entails putting the tires on here, JD this size are made in India as are Mahindra. I had a 2000 John Deere 4600 (about 45 hp) since 2001 and even back then it was a Yanmar made for John Deere but it was a great tractor for me. I wanted more hp and a cab so I purchased a new one and hope I don't regret it.

I researched, looked at and/or tested John Deere, Kabota, New Holland, Yanmar, Case IH, Kioti, Massey Ferguson, Mahindra and probably a few others I can't remember. I compared features, warranties, prices, tractor forums and personal references. In the end I narrowed it to 3 choices, John Deere, Kabota and Kioti. I have always leaned to JD but it was almost $10,000 more for the tractor I was looking for. Kabota and Kioti were almost identical in features but the Kabota was about $6000 more and not as good of a warranty.

I ended up buying a Kioti, they used to make them for Bobcat when they sold compact utility tractors. Mine is the NX6010 in a hydrostatic transmission with a cab. My JD was not a hydro so we'll see how I like this one. It has a quick tach loader (although not as quick as my JD was) and it does have the skid steer style mount for attachments on the front end loader. I like the separate hydro pedals on the Kioti (like JD) way better than the treadle style hydro pedal on the Kabota. It has more features than JD or the Kabota

Any individual tractor can have problems, I had a few with my JD, but from what I researched Kioti is not a trouble prone line. I hope I like my Kioti as well as I did my JD. Time will tell.   
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 07:19:13 AM »

Good subject, most don’t know but literally all your lawn tractors are made by MTD, even the lower end John Deeres.

Almost all American manufacturers in the ag sector do a lot of rebranding these days.

I bought a new 25 foot v-rake awhile back. Bought a New Holland, manufactured by Sitrex in Italy then painted NH colors. Practically identical rakes when looking at a NH and Sitrex, just a few minor engineering difference but the majority of the parts interchange, the NH was cheaper than the Sitrex, go figure.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

wreckit87

• OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 08:42:16 AM »

Good subject, most don’t know but literally all your lawn tractors are made by MTD, even the lower end John Deeres.

Almost all American manufacturers in the ag sector do a lot of rebranding these days.

I bought a new 25 foot v-rake awhile back. Bought a New Holland, manufactured by Sitrex in Italy then painted NH colors. Practically identical rakes when looking at a NH and Sitrex, just a few minor engineering difference but the majority of the parts interchange, the NH was cheaper than the Sitrex, go figure.

This is exactly why I laugh at people paying double for the green paint at Home Depot to get an MTDeere thinking it's a high quality unit. Sorry, it's a POS just like the Crapsman next to it. I actually can't believe JD puts their name on that garbage. I got a 3 point on my X475 for moving trailers around and blading the driveway, but it's still primarily a lawn mower. Schoppy beat me to the punch on the DEF thing, I know that's how Bobcat avoids the DEF. 59 rated HP lol

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 10:47:13 AM »

This is exactly why I laugh at people paying double for the green paint at Home Depot to get an MTDeere thinking it's a high quality unit. Sorry, it's a POS just like the Crapsman next to it. I actually can't believe JD puts their name on that garbage. I got a 3 point on my X475 for moving trailers around and blading the driveway, but it's still primarily a lawn mower. Schoppy beat me to the punch on the DEF thing, I know that's how Bobcat avoids the DEF. 59 rated HP lol

Yah, my Heatmaster distributor also handles the Intimidator line of UTV’s, they had what used to be a 28hp diesel Kohler in their one model, now turned down to 24 hp to avoid all emissions crap.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 05:16:16 PM »

2014 should be the last year of Tier 3.  I bought my Kubota MX5100 that year and it was actually worth more the next year when Tier 4 hit tractors.  The dealership called and offered me all of my money back for my machine and a huge incentive to buy a 2015 tractor from them.  NOPE!

I tried out Mahindra and wasn't impressed with them.  If there was a Kioti dealer anywhere close to me, I probably would have gotten one of those.  My Kubota has been good to me, so I can't complain. 

My only regret was not buying a cabbed tractor.  I will build a cab for it, someday.

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2017, 03:33:19 AM »

You can get after market cabs for just about any tractor made.  I have one on my JD4500 from Curtis Cab.  It came with a heater, wiper blade and exterior lights.  The side windows slide open to allow some air in the cab but I remove the doors in the summer to allow air to move through the cab easier.  With help from my nieces' boyfriend we had it together and on the tractor in a couple of hours.  I think I paid around $3,000.00 for the one on my tractor.  With that 6ft blower on the front, it's nice to have the heat turned up and be warm while clearing the yard.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire
Pages: [1] 2