Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: 4 way wedges  (Read 2095 times)

Farmer85

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Earth
  • OWF Model: Rancher 365
    • View Profile
4 way wedges
« on: December 31, 2014, 08:45:06 AM »

Hey all. I built a inverted log splitter for my skidsteer and made it to where I can pull a pin and switch out wedges from a single to 4-way. Sorry no pics. Anyway the wedge I built was 3/4 plate 8" deep and 10" tall. It has 2 wings about 5" up that are also 3/4 plate. I have looked at dozens online for sale and this seems to be a pretty common way to do it. Anyway within an hour I had a knotted up piece of white oak that bent the upright wedge. One of the wings caught a knot and twisted the whole plate to the right. I did not have anything else on upright as far as a wedge to beef it up. My question is has anybody built a indestructible 4 way? How did you do it? I split 95% hardwood. Oak,hickory,walnut,etc. thanks
Sullivan Mo
Earth rancher 365
Stihl ms250,ms260pro,ms290,ms034,ms460
Skidsplitter,gas powered splitter and shiny mall

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: 4 way wedges
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 09:40:32 AM »

I already have the inverted splitter, what you just described is common when you start getting into multiple split wedges. I had a Woodeze Firewood Processor years ago when I was in the campfire wood business, really easy to fubar something pretty bad when trying to split knotty stuff and it had a 4 way wedge, or you got to take a 8lb maul and beat the piece out backwards before it screwed something up. In retrospect I should have kept the processor even though cutting just for the house would have barely kept it limbered up.

I have the single wedge on mine but built out of 1" plate, I plan on redoing it one of these days and going to a 4 way but instead of changing the wedge I was going to make a 30" long wedge and just raise it all the way in the frame until the "wings" rested against the splitter frame so it can be used as a single.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

aries9245

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Cl6048
    • View Profile
Re: 4 way wedges
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 06:48:47 AM »

I make all my wedges 4way single ect all out 1" and so far never had an issue
Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws
Homemade 4way splitter w/log lift ( the terminator)