Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: End of the season cleaning  (Read 4945 times)

oldchenowth

End of the season cleaning
« on: May 02, 2011, 06:42:37 PM »

Dained the tank the other day and now I am cleaning the unit out to try and curb corrosion.  First, how would I clean off some crystalized creosote from the burn chamber?  Got into some wet wood this year and got build up in it.  What is the best way to clean it to keep rust down to a minimum?  second, what should I coat the inside with?  Some have suggested NEW oil sprayed on.  There are a ton of bricks in there so instead of taking them all out, I figure covering them before coating the interior.  I am worried about the corners rusting mainly.  Anyone put a steel grate in the bottom to save the bricks?

What is your guys shut down method(s) for the summer?  This is my first stove and rookie year burning so I am all ears for advice.  I want this thing to be here for many years, so I am trying to be proactive to keep her nice. 

I need a couple of the big fire bricks in the center, any sources? and I may have to seal around the fan and stack again, what do I use and where do I get it?

Thanks for your help.

WD - HE5000

I have another idea for the stack to keep the heat in and reduce smoke.  What if I put a tee on the top and go out both sides a foot or so and add another tee at both ends? theory being hold the heat in, keep rain and snow off the stock cap, and provide an up flow to help it breathe reducing smoke and creosote build up in the stack. It might look like hell but I aint no prize either, I would rather have it function better.  Just a thought.

dirtryder

Re: End of the season cleaning
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 11:29:08 AM »

Although I sold my HE5000 in March, I did have it last year and did "summerize" mine. I'll tell you what "I" did but that doesn't mean it is right.  ;)

First off, why did you drain it? I was/am under the impression that doing that will premote rust. Leaving the water in will keep it from rusting.....

I cleaned all the ashes out and used my shop vac to clean fire box and refactor chamber of all ashes......btw, shop vac filters do not fare well with hot embers and good air flow ::)  so, make sure it is completely cold...unless you need a new filter anyway.

I scraped the inside walls and top with your normal type scraper clamped to a wooden handle to reach in. I did not go crazy, just scraped all the loose stuff. Make sure you get the 2 back lower corners well, this seems to be the "gathering" spot for build up. I then sprayed a "cosmoline" type of protective coat, similar to what is on some auto parts to prevent rusting. I don't know if it's the best stuff for the job, but for me it was free. I figured it couldn't hurt. I tried not to get any on the brick. I don't know if it would hurt them, but I figured they didn't need it.

I took the chimney cap and fan off, ran a brush down it and plopped a 5gal bucket on top of the stack. I scraped the rear flues also as best I could and coated with same stuff. Just wondering, have you found an "easy" way to scrape the vertical flue towards the middle of the unit? That was the only "pain" I could find with the Wood Doctor.
I closed the door but did not latch it tight. I figured it was better off "breathing" than with temp changes creating sweat inside.

Turned off power. Topped off water (if needed)

Also, if I still had my HE5000, I would be in need of replacing 2 fire brick which were cracked.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 11:30:56 AM by dirtryder »

Ridgekid

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 11:47:14 AM »

Dirtyryder-

Where did you find the cosmoline and how bad did it smoke you you relit in the fall?

dirtryder

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 05:50:24 AM »

Dirtyryder-

Where did you find the cosmoline and how bad did it smoke you you relit in the fall?

The stuff I used is called  "protecto-cote"  here is their web site. 
 http://www.atco-intl.com/products/more.cfm?071146575F56224A5D2775454203035541

Like I said, i was fortunate enough to obtain several cans for free from a buddy of mine.
As far as smoke, well I didn't coat the everything, just all the "bare" metal spots so it didn't seem to smoke anymore than a usual start up..

oldchenowth

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 04:24:12 AM »

ryder,

I had to drain the tank because of a leak in my sharkbite near the pump.  I plan on refilling and putting the chemical back in as soon as I get the pipe changed out.  I found that gathering place you speak so highly of.  What a pain in the @$$ that was.  Two broken brick for me as well, right in the bottom center, maybe where the wood is most likely to land?  Thinking about a steel grate for the bottom to help out in that.

dirtryder

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 07:02:58 AM »

ryder,

I had to drain the tank because of a leak in my sharkbite near the pump.  I plan on refilling and putting the chemical back in as soon as I get the pipe changed out.  I found that gathering place you speak so highly of.  What a pain in the @$$ that was.  Two broken brick for me as well, right in the bottom center, maybe where the wood is most likely to land?  Thinking about a steel grate for the bottom to help out in that.

Yeh, filling her back up will definately help with things. I always tried to break up those corners with the provided ash shovel when it was burning. Seemed a little soft then. Tried to stay on it to make it easier. I think that "I" broke the brick not being careful during the burning season stoking, poking, scaping........before reloads. I thought of a grate also but then never acted on it. Might be great, might get in the way when stoking.

I really liked the Wood Doctor, it  was just too small for what I was doing with it. The only reason I didn't go with the 8000 for my new stove was mostly to save money.....and smoke is a non-issue for me. Dry wood doesn't smoke that much anyway. There is also something to be said for just throwing in all those hunks and chunks of wood I have laying around, closing the door, and walking away for 24hours minimum :thumbup: