Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pellet stove operators in here?  (Read 2218 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Pellet stove operators in here?
« on: October 07, 2017, 01:35:47 PM »

One of my older brothers and his wife recently purchased a home that came with a pellet stove.  It was manufactured in 1994.  It's a Whitfield WP2 Advantage.  They decided to give it to me as thanks for all of the help I give them.  My plan is use it during the shoulder season but I have to admit I know absolutely nothing about pellet stoves.  So I have a younger brother who lives in the apartment above me and we finally got it installed.  We fired her up and it took the chill right out of this old house in no time.  But, here's the problem.  For some reason after about a half hour of use she shuts down.  We hit the start button and she fired right up both times.  I'm at a loss for why this is happening.  Help?!  Thanks  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Pellet stove operators in here?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 03:50:29 PM »

Over heat sensor of some kind hid in the guts of the thing?

For the most part people who have em here get rid of em eventually. Course most of em goto TSC and buy some imported piece of crap….
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 05:01:37 PM »

Over heat sensor of some kind hid in the guts of the thing?

For the most part people who have em here get rid of em eventually. Course most of em goto TSC and buy some imported piece of crap….

mlappen,

After I posted here I did a bit more digging in the manual and it says if the unit shuts down after 30 to 45 minutes of use and there is nothing clogging the air holes in the pan, the high snap snap disk is faulty and needs to be replaced.  Get this, all one has to do to swap it out is unplug the electrical wires from the old one, unbolt it from the chassis and replace it with the new one.  They insist that an authorized pellet stove technician perform this procedure.  I guess they don't realize many us are diy'ers and we do our own repairs if we can.  I have ordered a new snap disk.  This thing was free, given to me and all I have in it right now is $75.00 worth of pellets and the new snap disk.  If that's all it takes, that'll be the cheapest form of a heating system I have ever owned.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 05:12:26 PM »

Glad you got it figured out. :)
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

Pointblank

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 08:31:30 PM »

We had a nice Harman pellet stove given to us 4-5 years ago when my wife's uncle switched to natural gas. Works great during the shoulder seasons. But even once the owb is up and running, it still gets used on some nights and weekends just to have a fire going. Grew up with a wood stove and I still enjoy sitting by a nice warm fire.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 03:58:06 AM »

We had a nice Harman pellet stove given to us 4-5 years ago when my wife's uncle switched to natural gas. Works great during the shoulder seasons. But even once the owb is up and running, it still gets used on some nights and weekends just to have a fire going. Grew up with a wood stove and I still enjoy sitting by a nice warm fire.

Pointblank - Essentially I want to do the same thing, use it during the shoulder seasons and the weekends throughout the winter when it gets really cold, windy days.  When I was growing up (I mean getting older) we had steam heat with radiators in every corning of every room in the house.  It was never warm enough for my liking.  Then my dad decided to renovate this old house and put in some insulation.  He then decided to buy a Vermont Castings defiant wood stove.  That thing really threw the heat.  We had that thing for many years and for some reason he decided to replace it with a coal stove.  I never liked it.  It was difficult to regulate the temperature.  When my dad needed to have his hip replaced, it became apparent that the coal had to go and that's when we went oil.  We had that for quite a while until the oil prices went through the roof in 2005; the cost to heat this house was over $5100.00 a year.  I then decided to burn wood again so I bought a wood stove.  It worked okay but not great.  Then I experienced a chimney fire just as I arrived home from work.  That scared the buggers out of me.  I then started looking for alternative heat sources and that's when I was introduced to the OWB world.  I have never looked back.  But I have days when I miss sitting by the fire.  So, this pellet stove may fill that need for the heat.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 04:23:38 AM »

I received the 140 degree snap disk that everyone in the pellet stove forums says is likely the problem.  I changed it out last evening and it ran non-stop all evening.  It's amazing that a $20.00 item can cause so much problems.  After I get the OWB fired up for the season I'm going to tear into this thing and perform a thorough cleaning.  Because it was very clogged with ash dust, I suspect that when I get into it I'll find many more surprises waiting for me.  So far I know the auger bearing will need to be replaced and perhaps I'll need to replace the auger itself.  Heck, even if I have to put a few hundred bucks in it, that's a cheap price to pay for a decent heating unit.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire