Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Blower on H5 not working.  (Read 4794 times)

Brad

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H5
    • View Profile
Blower on H5 not working.
« on: December 20, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »

Hello. I was out of town for a couple of nights and my wife was feeding the boiler. Got home to check things out and noticed that the damper was pulled open and the blower was not on. I unplugged the power cord for the solenoid and blower and immediately the chain dropped from the solenoid and damper closed. Plugged it back in and damper opened back up and no blower. I stuck a screwdriver in and am able to turn the wheel sprocket thingy in the blower but it won't kick on. Any ideas?  It's only a little over a year old. Had been working fine up until for sure two days ago.  I oiled it this fall but maybe it didn't get it good enough...   
Aitkin, Minnesota

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Re: Blower on H5 not working.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 06:12:58 AM »

If you can turn the fan blade freely then your bearings aren't seized. I would say that either your brushes are hung up(try tapping on the body of the fan) or the windings burned up. Make sure that you have power getting down to the fan. You can poke the power cord just before it enters the fan body with a multi meter or you can follow the wire with a tic tracer to maker sure the wire isn't broken or melted somewhere.

Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 08:30:14 AM »

Update for you all.  I was able to get the blower back up and running...  I think it just got a little caked with creosote and I cleaned it up a bit and re oiled it and so far so good...  It was -28 here this morning and the blower is sure getting a work out...
Aitkin, Minnesota

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 08:50:01 AM »

Boy o Boy keep that cold your way, thank you!

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 10:01:27 AM »

Had -18 here this morning, keep that pump running!
 If you moved the fan blade easily before it doesn't sound like oil was the problem. Do you know if it is a motor with brushes? I ask this because the motor may stop again if the brushes are getting worn, the spring pressure on the brush starts to go away after they wear. I don't suspect it is a brush style universal motor but if it is you will see 2 bumps on opposite sides of the motor which have screws on them to remove/inspect/replace the brushes. Don't unscrew the caps unless the power is disconnected to the motor.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:04:16 AM by ITO »

Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 10:47:29 AM »

I do not believe it is a brush style motor.  I talked to the dealer and he talked about back pressure maybe being the culprit...  Not sure I totally understand how that works so I dunno...  I will more than likely order another blower just to have one in case something happens.  The vent hole the the blower blows thru was not plugged it just appears it got stuck or just quit working...  I'm going out of town again for just a night and my father in-law will be feeding the boiler while I'm gone.  I'm crossing my fingers that the blower continues to work..  It's been working fine for 4 days now...
Aitkin, Minnesota