Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New E1450 with WIFI module  (Read 8370 times)

bowood

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-1450
    • View Profile
New E1450 with WIFI module
« on: January 02, 2016, 09:10:38 AM »

I got an E1450 thanks to this forum.  The resources on here, especially pictures, helped me a lot.  One picture I couldn't find is one with more information about the WIFI/network capabilities and the myfirestar website.  I got this up and running and have attached a screen shot.

It is fun to see the various stages (solenoids) going off.  Any idea why the furnance vents after reaching its set point?  It runs the fan through the charger tube but shuts off primary air.  It seems to be to drop the temperature of the reaction chamber quickly.  It seems like a waste of heat that it could instead have just let get absorbed.  Perhaps it can't let it stay so hot without air flow.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: New E1450 with WIFI module
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 10:53:35 AM »

Neato chart.

Maybe it vents to help reduce creosote buildup?
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 06:16:50 PM »

That is cool, I wished that my G200 came with something. I bought the WIFI mFi controller and sensors and can view my temp and my fan on my FHA in the house. This is a screen grab from it.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 07:32:08 PM »

A couple interesting things of note. It appears that your reaction chamber temps are only getting up to around 800 degrees. I wonder why that is? I wonder what mine are. Second thing is it looks like you are running 170 on 190 off. I wish I could run those temps. Heatmaster has mine locked down at 160-180. I could squeeze some more btus into the water to air hx if I was up a little higher like that. Last year when I was running 175-185 and running the water directly through my water to air hx I could get 130-145 temps out of my heat registers. Now that I am running 160-180 and running the water through a FPHE and then to the water to air hx I get 120-135 temps. I think that the house feels more even with heat and doesn't get that 'hot/cold' that I used to get with the air but I am waiting to see when we get real cold how things are.

bowood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 07:54:51 PM »

My E1450 is running 175-185, but when it hits the set point it has quite a bit of heat still working its way into the water, so it tends to get to about 190 before changing direction.

Today it is nicely running "high" with all three solenoids open when demanding heat.  I think high on this furnance is 750F.  It got up to 1000F.  There is a note down at the bottom of the page that says: "Due to the temperature limitations of the sensor, it is not positioned in the hottest area of the reaction chamber. The actual secondary combustion temperature may be over 1000° hotter than displayed."

I suspect the venting is just to reduce the uncertainty of the high variability of the reaction chamber upon reaching the set point.  For example if it just clamped everything shut at 1000F I bet the water would pass 200F when reaching equilibrium.  It would probably benefit creosote reduction if it did not need to do this because it would stay toasty hot for a lot longer.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 08:01:44 PM »

Interesting, they must be using PT100 or RTD sensors which work up to 932 degrees F. I wish I could find someone that was knowledgeable with the Siemens LOGO controller that runs the G200. It appears to have a lot of expandabilty it could accept more PT100 sensors. I think it would be pretty easy to place a sensor probe in the reaction chamber.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 08:04:34 PM »

My E1450 is running 175-185, but when it hits the set point it has quite a bit of heat still working its way into the water, so it tends to get to about 190 before changing direction.

Today it is nicely running "high" with all three solenoids open when demanding heat.  I think high on this furnance is 750F.  It got up to 1000F.  There is a note down at the bottom of the page that says: "Due to the temperature limitations of the sensor, it is not positioned in the hottest area of the reaction chamber. The actual secondary combustion temperature may be over 1000° hotter than displayed."

I suspect the venting is just to reduce the uncertainty of the high variability of the reaction chamber upon reaching the set point.  For example if it just clamped everything shut at 1000F I bet the water would pass 200F when reaching equilibrium.  It would probably benefit creosote reduction if it did not need to do this because it would stay toasty hot for a lot longer.

That would be my guess as well that the sensor isn’t in the actual hottest part of the reaction chamber.

I’m still looking for something similar for my G400, I plan on mounting it in the door with the end of the probe as far into the refractory as practical.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

Pointblank

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 10:30:48 PM »

I have the Firestar wi fi option on my Edge and love it. Having real time information anywhere, anytime, on your phone is pretty cool.  Water temp, reaction chamber temp, burn time... It even texts or emails you if you run out of wood, water temp is high or low,  left the firebox door open etc...  I really like it.

It helps a lot in learning these stoves too.  You can see what moisture content does and what effect the size of logs/splits do, by watching the reaction chamber temps.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 10:53:12 PM »

Interesting, they must be using PT100 or RTD sensors which work up to 932 degrees F. I wish I could find someone that was knowledgeable with the Siemens LOGO controller that runs the G200. It appears to have a lot of expandabilty it could accept more PT100 sensors. I think it would be pretty easy to place a sensor probe in the reaction chamber.

Go to Omega, they have all kinds of wireless temperature loggers that can accept 9 different thermocouples. Also have a receiver available that will transmit to a webpage.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

bowood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 07:43:31 AM »

On a related note.  Do you know how a Central Boiler determines "Fire Out"?  From the stats I can't tell.  I have a backup condensing propane burner for the house on the same line, so the water temperature cannot plummet all the way back down, yet the Central Boiler still knows when the fire is out.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 07:55:31 AM »

Is the propane connected into the firestar controller? At what point does the propane kick on? I would think that if it didn't have the propane kit that it would determine 'fireout' from running for over a specified amount of time without a gain in temp. The OMEGA product looks nice butttttt at $300 for just the controller it is really pricey. Looks like a really good industrial product though. Sensors are also $50-$100 each. Thats what is nice about the mFi controller stuff. Reasonably priced. We will see how long it lasts.

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 08:43:50 AM »

On a related note.  Do you know how a Central Boiler determines "Fire Out"?  From the stats I can't tell.  I have a backup condensing propane burner for the house on the same line, so the water temperature cannot plummet all the way back down, yet the Central Boiler still knows when the fire is out.

bowood - I believe it is determined by an X amount of time the blower runs trying to get the fire going again.  If it doesn't "see" a measurable rise in temps over an X amount of time AND with the water temp falling below 150 degfrees F, it "assumes" there is a "Fire Out" condition. 

I set my oil burner aquastat to 150 so if the OWB water temps approaches it, the oil burner senses it and fires up (OWB heating season only).  Essentially its my warning system notifying me that the water temp from the OWB has fallen to or below 150 for a reason.  One time it was due me being lazy by not clearing any of the air holes in the fire box (my E-Classic 1400 doesn't have the removable panels that most models now have) of creosote buildup and the fire snuffed itself out.  Another time it was due to bridging.  Another time (last winter) it was due to the bolt that holds the plate attached to the solenoid at the top of the primary air tube had corroded to the point that it could no longer support it.  It essentially choked itself to death.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Carm

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central boiler
  • OWF Model: 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 02:16:54 PM »

The wifi module is on my wish list!
Freeland, MD

bowood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 04:35:25 PM »

I have the propane starter on the E1450 as well as a separate propane furnace that came with the house. The propane furnace keeps the water around 130 depending on the outside temperature. So 150 without heat increase could be the magic cutoff where the central boiler realizes that the fire is out.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 06:03:21 PM »

When it calls 'fireout' is there enough coals left to restart or are you starting from scratch?
Pages: [1] 2