Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: New Guy with A Zone Controller question  (Read 1916 times)

Tim Guinn

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: portage and main
  • OWF Model: bl 3444
    • View Profile
New Guy with A Zone Controller question
« on: October 24, 2016, 07:06:47 PM »

I'm new to the OWB world, currently installing a Portage and Main BL 2840 to replace a Propane fired condensing modulated boiler that was replace once under warranty for leaking, and then  the replacement lasted 4 yrs more.
 Boiler was for radiant floor heat in the entire house ( 3 Zones) and domestic hot water. I have separated the DHW from the radiant boiler as I don't wish to burn during the summer months. I installed a Geo springs heat pump for that.
The OWB will run to a heat exchanger, replacing the boiler entirely. My 3 zones are operated by 2 pumps on the supply side, (two basement zones share the same pump, and both zones share the same return pump.
My problem is finding a zone controller that will operate 3 zones  that will operate the return pump no matter which zone calls for heat.
When I look for zone controllers, a lot of the technical info is not listed. Anybody with any ideas? Thanks, Tim
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 07:31:38 PM by Tim Guinn »

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: New Guy with A Zone Controller question
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 07:17:02 PM »

If I’m understanding your query correctly a Taco Zone controller should fit the bill.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Taco-ZVC404-EXP-4-4-Zone-Valve-Control-Module-with-Priority

Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Tim Guinn

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 07:26:53 PM »

So, A dumb question, the return pump which has to be able to run from either zone wouldn't wire to the priority , but where?

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 11:16:13 PM »

You probably would want to use the end switch to run the common pump. I didn't find a rating on the contacts so you might need to use a relay if it can't handle the current or voltage.

Tim Guinn

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 06:50:40 AM »

I wonder if I can just use the zone controller I have and just add a relay then, it operates all three zones fine, but the circulator pump was operated by the now removed boiler.
Otherwise, what about;http://www.supplyhouse.com/Azel-Technologies-SP-82-2-Zone-Pump-Controller-Switching-Relay-with-Priority-Protection, this says will operate a system pump besides the zone pumps.
It appears that even though I have 3 zones, only 2 pumps because the basement zones share a circulator and are operated by Caleffi zone valves ahead of the current pump relay box.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 06:18:54 PM by Tim Guinn »