Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hung solenoid  (Read 6019 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Hung solenoid
« on: December 10, 2016, 12:50:33 PM »

Hi all - I have an E-Classic 1400 going on my 6th season heating my home with it.  It's run flawlessly during that period.  I'll be leaving for Manchester, NH to see the Boston Pops Orchestra perform so i went outside to add enough firewood to hopefully hold me over until I get home around 11:00pm.  When I approached it, I noticed on the LCD display it was showing a "Hi" water temp, meaning that water went over 200 degrees.  CB designed the OWB to shutdown to protect itself from boiling over.  I noticed that smoke was coming from the chimney and I checked to be sure I closed the by-pass door.  I did.  I then checked the primary solenoid and it was hung up, remaining open thus allowing air to continue feeding the fire.  But, I also noticed that it wasn't laying flat on the primary elbow, I straightened it out and it dropped to cover the primary elbow opening.  I put enough wood in it to get me to the point when I can check on it when I return from the concert.  When I get home from the concert I'll check on it to be sure the solenoid closed. I'll know as soon as I look at the LCD display.  It makes me uneasy knowing it hung up once today, I hope this isn't a sign of what the winter will be like.  Wish me luck.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Hung solenoid
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 05:59:14 PM »

Best of luck to you our friend, it's an easy solenoid to change out and if it needs to be, then I think I may have one on the bus!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 03:52:44 AM »

Maybe you should have turned off the unit before you went away! I wouldn't have taken the chance of it over heating while I was away!
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 03:59:36 AM »

When I got home from the concert around 11:15pm, the OWB was operating perfectly.  It must have been a fluke that it hung up.  To be on the safe side, I be visiting my CB dealer to pick up a spare solenoid; I should have done this 6 years ago.  When I got out of bed this morning it was a balmy 1 degree above zero outside but nice and toasty in the house.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 04:01:19 AM »

Maybe you should have turned off the unit before you went away! I wouldn't have taken the chance of it over heating while I was away!

I thought of it when I was at the concert - sometimes I'm a little slow on the draw.   :)  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Pointblank

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 07:10:31 AM »

I had something similar happen 7-8 years ago on my old classic. Dealer said to give it a good shot of wd40 and work it in. Never had another problem. I now do it every year at start up.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 08:43:15 AM »

I had something similar happen 7-8 years ago on my old classic. Dealer said to give it a good shot of wd40 and work it in. Never had another problem. I now do it every year at start up.

Pointblank - Thanks for the tip.  I'll give that a try after I purchase another can, I can't find he one I used to have.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 05:08:03 PM »

I spray mine a few times threw out the season  can an hurt!
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

smithbr

• OWF Model: E-Classic 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 02:25:15 PM »

My 1450 recently started doing the same thing (first fired, February 2016).  About a month ago, we had a major blowback in the firebox, threw a bunch of small coals into the electrical box via the main vent.  I cleaned it out, but I think the grit is causing the solenoids grief (main vent chiefly, but I've found one side of the boost vent stuck open too).  I cycled them a dozen times today after hitting them with WD40; if that doesn't solve it, I'll disassemble them and do a thorough cleaning next time we have decent temperatures.
Original post 2017/1/7
Update 2017/1/8 - first overnight in a week that we haven't had a valve hang.  Yay!  I'll hit it with WD40 again this morning just to be sure.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 06:12:33 AM by smithbr »

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 03:47:36 AM »

My 1450 recently started doing the same thing (first fired, February 2016).  About a month ago, we had a major blowback in the firebox, threw a bunch of small coals into the electrical box via the main vent.  I cleaned it out, but I think the grit is causing the solenoids grief (main vent chiefly, but I've found one side of the boost vent stuck open too).  I cycled them a dozen times today after hitting them with WD40; if that doesn't solve it, I'll disassemble them and do a thorough cleaning next time we have decent temperatures.

smithbr - I've had a few blowbacks over the past 5 plus years operating the 1400.  The first time it happen, scared the bugger out of me.  You should see the inside of the air box where the solenoids are located; it's costed black with liquid creosote, to the point where some has leached out through the seal.  I now have lines of liquid creosote running down the outside of the air box.  I've been wondering if that's the reason the flap on the primary air elbow ended up on an angle, instead of laying flat?  When it angled on the elbow, water over temp'd due to air entering the firebox non-restricted, never closing off.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

the trailmaster

• OWF Brand: CENTRAL BOILER
  • OWF Model: 2400
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 06:02:25 AM »

Good morning all   Roger, once you clean all your moving parts try some dry silicon spray, as it will not pick the grit and cause the problem again.  Also when my 2400 was over heating it was not the solenoid, but holes had developed on the flat closing plate from corrosion.  If you find that condition, use a piece of duck tape to cover the holes till you get new plates.  Just some thoughts good luck. 
Trailmaster  Plymouth NH

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 08:30:33 AM »

Good morning all   Roger, once you clean all your moving parts try some dry silicon spray, as it will not pick the grit and cause the problem again.  Also when my 2400 was over heating it was not the solenoid, but holes had developed on the flat closing plate from corrosion.  If you find that condition, use a piece of duck tape to cover the holes till you get new plates.  Just some thoughts good luck.

Good morning, trailmaster - Thanks for the tip.  I have to run to the store later this morning so I'll pick some up.  As for the plate;  Two years ago when I was putting her to bed for the summer months, I noticed that the metal that contacts the rim of the elbow had thinned to a point where it wouldn't last another winter.  So, I got online and purchased some stainless steel flat plate.  Using my plasma cutter, I cut out a few of my own.  Now I have spares on hand for when they decide they no longer want to hold together.  The other thing I did was replace the common nut & bolt with all stainless steel.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Bud650

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: classic
  • OWF Model: classic Edge 560
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 04:26:57 PM »

Hi Roger,
I have a 1400 also had the same problem and went to the dealer and they ordered me a new elbow with the solenoid and a spring to hold the gate down it works great and it was cheap.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 04:47:53 PM »

Hi Roger,
I have a 1400 also had the same problem and went to the dealer and they ordered me a new elbow with the solenoid and a spring to hold the gate down it works great and it was cheap.

ericr1965 - How long have you had your 1400?  This is my 6th winter heating my home and domestic hot-water.  Other than the occasional hiccup, she's been operating great for me.  I'll give my dealer a call to see if he has the elbow with the spring, it can't hurt.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Bud650

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: classic
  • OWF Model: classic Edge 560
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 04:15:31 PM »

Hi Roger,

ericr1965 - How long have you had your 1400?  This is my 6th winter heating my home and domestic hot-water.  Other than the occasional hiccup, she's been operating great for me.  I'll give my dealer a call to see if he has the elbow with the spring, it can't hurt.  Roger

I have used my cb1400 for three years. I bought it used and had to weld the hole fire box The controller went bad on me since I fixed all that it has worked great.
Pages: [1] 2