Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Heatmor question  (Read 4873 times)

nd guy

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 400css
    • View Profile
Heatmor question
« on: February 20, 2017, 07:45:14 PM »

Hi, I am looking at a used Heatmor SS OWB and the seller cannot find a model number on it. Is there a certain location for the model number? Can it be determined by the size of the firebox? It is approx. 15 yrs old and not used the last 5 years. I would like to know it's size to see if it fits my needs. Also is there any thing to look for when it comes to lack of proper use? This is my first post but I've been lurking here for months. Alot of useful info. Thanks for the help. Ray

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
Re: Heatmor question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 07:06:04 AM »

Should have the model number on the back of he stove.  If that isn't there anymore I'd try google.  The reason I'm commenting is the age of the stove.  Even tho it is SS it can still have leaks, the older stainless models used a type of metal that didn't tolerate heat as well.  If you do happen to get this stove for very cheap (the only way I'd purchase a stove at this age) I'd make damn sure there was/is no leaks before handing the money over.  Sometimes repair work can be very "cheap" as well.  Be careful not to overlook a repair that will sell the stove but end up giving you problems in the near future.
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection

hrc200x

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 03:25:34 PM »

Believe my 4 year old 200 tag is on the inside of the main outer door. Back of the firebox to where the door closes is about 3 feet.

nd guy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 11:11:22 PM »

Thanks for the replies. Could this be a non 409 SS stove? Do not want to get burned(PUN)!!!

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 10:57:40 PM »

They have used 409 for many many years.  Over 10 years now but I'm not 100% certain if it was 15 years ago.  I would definitely make sure!
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 03:23:51 AM »

Thanks for the replies. Could this be a non 409 SS stove? Do not want to get burned(PUN)!!!

They started using 409 in the mid-early 90's, I think. 409 is very tough stuff. Moisture and rainwater won't hurt it sitting around.
However it can pit out in spots if it has been run with no water treatment. If they can prove they've treated and tested the value of the unit doubles.
Run some water through it- if it comes out brown it probably has sludge in the bottom and didn't have adequate treatment.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 05:31:45 AM »

There is one down the road from me the other skin is rotted out in places but the actual firebox and water jacket is still tight, the guy build a shed around it when he installed it, he’s like the third owner I believe.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

nd guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 09:09:47 PM »

Is there anyway to use the firebox size to determine it's BTU output? How do I determine it's 409 SS? Thanks for the replies!

lindnova

• OWF Model: 200 CSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 09:22:21 AM »

If there is no tag and no evidence of the real year made you don't have much to go on.  It may be older than you think.

I am on my 11th year on mine, and there are a lot of older Heatmors out there.  The 10 ga steel seems thin when a log hits it so I would definitely check for corrosion and leaks before buying.  Careless damage or improper water treatment could easily kill one early.

If it is stainless and I would assume that it is you can tell by looking for rust on the firebox.  There should be very little to none around the door opening and exposed firebox areas.  It would be caked up with rust if mild steel.
Stihl ms260, ms362, msS461
Huskee 22 TN Splitter
Kubota BX2200 w/ Loader

heat550

• OWF Model: 1994 200ss 2015 400dcss
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 02:53:42 AM »

I had 1994 heatmor it was stainless tank .. not a stainless base yes it rusted out and bunch of issue I replaced it with a 400 in 2015
so rule if its used and base looks rusty I mean lot more rusty then tank its one like I had .. it needs to be split apart .and looked at see how much damage is on bottom base I put money on it shelf where tank is needs repair. .  if you do the math I got 19 years of service out of it . they can be alot older then you think :)

heat550