Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Heatmaster MF series (C 375 series) - rounded chamber & saving the live embers  (Read 2495 times)

jemmunro

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but I have a question about the rounded interior chamber on the Heatmaster (looking at the MF7000e in Canada / C375 in U.S.). 

I'm used to keeping my home warm using woodstoves (inside the house).  When it is time to clean the ashes from the stove, I move the live embers to one side of the stove and remove the ashes from that side of the stove then repeat procedure for the other side of the stove. Once the ashes are out of the stove, I move the live embers back to the centre of the stove, put the new wood on top of the embers so that the new wood catches & burns from the retained embers .

Looking into the rounded chamber of the Heatmaster MF series OWBs, I am wondering how I would remove the ashes but retain the embers - thinking the embers would slide back down onto the grates if I tried to move them to either side.  I want to keep the fire going constantly throughout the winter. 

I have zero experience using an OWB, so maybe this isn't an issue ????  I appreciate any feedback. 

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions

We have several members who are running either C’s or MFe’s so I’m sure they can answer better, but thats what the shaker grates are for, work em and the ashes fall thru into the ash pan in theory.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

shepherd boy

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile

The rounded chamber is there for strength reasons. I run my C375 year round. There will be enough ash and coals still left on the sides and in the flat spots in front and back to keep you lit. You got the right idea, too clean a stove will let the fire go out quicker and too much ash will restrict air flow (draft). you'll soon learn the sweet spot.

Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

jemmunro

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile

The rounded chamber is there for strength reasons. I run my C375 year round. There will be enough ash and coals still left on the sides and in the flat spots in front and back to keep you lit. You got the right idea, too clean a stove will let the fire go out quicker and too much ash will restrict air flow (draft). you'll soon learn the sweet spot.

Thanks for the information and also for your vote of confidence, Shepherdboy. 

Mr. Maple

• OWF Brand: Empyre 450-sold,P&M BL 4044- sold,now Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 20000e
    • View Profile

I guarantee that you will be happy with the MF stove.I have never seen a stove light as easy as this one,and recuperate from nothing.Over time you will learn the right amount of wood to put in,have had our stove down to one ember the size of a dime,bit of paper and wood and back up and roaring in no time.Neighbour just got rid of his fancy boiler,got tired of welding it,etc,got a MF series on my recommendation and couldn't be happier. By the way,pretty rare you will have to move the shaker grates

jemmunro

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile

I guarantee that you will be happy with the MF stove.I have never seen a stove light as easy as this one,and recuperate from nothing.Over time you will learn the right amount of wood to put in,have had our stove down to one ember the size of a dime,bit of paper and wood and back up and roaring in no time.Neighbour just got rid of his fancy boiler,got tired of welding it,etc,got a MF series on my recommendation and couldn't be happier. By the way,pretty rare you will have to move the shaker grates

Do you know what type of boiler your neighbour head? 

Why is it rare to have to move the shaker grates?  Do you mean that the ash usually falls through on its' own? 

shepherd boy

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile

I take my ash rake and work the fines through the grates, leaves the coals on top. Shake grates hard and you'll get more coals in the ash drawer.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

Mr. Maple

• OWF Brand: Empyre 450-sold,P&M BL 4044- sold,now Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 20000e
    • View Profile

Not sure if I should say the brand on open forum,can pm it to you if you like.Ashes usually just fall through the grates as a fine powder,so unless I am getting ashes baked together on top I don't move the grates