Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Wifi Module erratic?  (Read 2441 times)

smithbr

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 1450
    • View Profile
Wifi Module erratic?
« on: November 11, 2017, 05:50:15 AM »

Anyone else having problems with their wifi connection these days?  Most nights now, our connection fails during the night.  Sometimes it comes back after an hour or two, sometimes I have to shut off power to the furnace, then turn it back on to get the unit to reconnect, and a couple of times now it's needed multiple power cycles.  When it fails, the blue light flashes for a while and the display says WEB, but then the blue light goes out completely.  At that point, we need a power cycle.  I'd like to know a bit more before I contact CB and ask WTH?

Pointblank

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
Re: Wifi Module erratic?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 05:06:58 AM »

I havent any problem with ours, at least on Central Boilers end anyway. Sounds like maybe the stove is loosing the WiFi signal from your house?  Do you have a good wifi signal at the stove when the blue lights are flashing?
Ours will sometimes do that during a heavy snowstorm. The stove is about 80 feet from the WiFi router in the house so the signal isn't that strong and a heavy snow will sometime cause it to intermittently loose contact.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

smithbr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 07:22:50 AM »

Not sure what's going on, but it's happening every flipping night now.  Grrr.  Seems to quit about the time the last of us goes to bed, almost like our DSL router goes to sleep when the other computers quit for the night.  We'll play with moving the wifi node around today, but this thing was a rock star until about a week ago, so I'm suspecting it's gone stupid, or developed a temperature sensitivity or something. 

It's driving us nuts - but maybe it's a good thing, because I noticed my wife was getting to the point where she walked around the yard, looking at her phone all the time to check the furnace performance.  There's something funny about that, standing 50 feet from the furnace and checking your phone to see how it's doing - is she going deaf, or what???  Just sayin'...

smithbr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 06:13:30 AM »

Ok.  Moved the wifi node to about 25' from the furnace.  Not a missed data point since we moved it.  Problem resolved.  What was weird is, it would work like a charm for a few hours, then start to nap out.  Clearly we were on the edge as far as distance goes; whatever changed in the local airspace in the last few weeks, something was interfering intermittently.  So now I have to rearrange the house computer arrangements to work with the DSL router in a different location, or perhaps find a wifi booster to help the furnace "call home".  Oh well, no big deal.

boilerman

• OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 06:22:12 PM »

Yes, sounded like you were right on the fringe of your router service prior to moving it.

benp

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: Edge 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 11:42:35 AM »

I had go to a high horse power router that looks like a spider due to the antenna array and I changed out the antenna on the wifi module for a high db one.

Zero issues since I have done that.

ETA - I have the router setup so it is a direct line of sight to the stove through a window.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 11:48:27 AM by benp »