Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BL34-44 finally up and running  (Read 7018 times)

GUSWHIT

• View Profile
BL34-44 finally up and running
« on: November 29, 2017, 08:00:34 AM »

Well guy's, I finally got it all hooked up and producing heat last Sunday at 3:15 I started the first fire.  Just in time for a heat wave moving through, it was 64 here on Monday and mid 50's yesterday.  I had to open some windows for awhile last night because it was too hot!  It's going to take some time to get it all lined out.
Thanks for all the good posts and support to my questions.

GUSWHIT

• View Profile
Re: BL34-44 finally up and running
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 02:34:26 PM »

I have really learned a lot so far this week!  Darn weather switched around and we had 5 days over 50 and 3 of those days into the 60's so trying to get everything lined out has been a pita!  Starting tomorrow we are supposed to have highs in only the 30's and a couple nights down well into the teens so I'm sure it will be going much better.  Haven't boiled it over or anything, just getting too much convection current through the furnace heat exchanger and its been too warm in the house.  Currently keeping the main pump on the low speed setting to start with.  Not quite sure how far to have the draft slide plate on the blower fan open so am experimenting with that and also keeping the factory settings on the fan and aquastat the same for now.  Won't be able to do any cost comparisons on electricity until after the holidays, thanks to all the Christmas lights.  LOL

GUSWHIT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 11:29:03 AM »

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 01:42:44 PM »

That sucks, just an order to shut it down or did they mention fines as well?
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

GUSWHIT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 02:58:28 PM »

Since I kept my cool and complied with the official he isn't going to fine me.

GUSWHIT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 03:20:15 PM »

Just got my water sample back from sending it in to be tested and it came back near perfect.  What a kick in the teeth!

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 08:30:52 AM »

What ordinance did you violate? There is still to a of options on the table for you I am sure. Is it a gasification vs conventional problem?

GUSWHIT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 11:32:55 AM »

they extended the distance between the appliance and the neighboring property line to 500 ft.  So by my quick calculations you would need a lot that is 1,000' by 1,000' to put it in the center and that equates to about 22.9 acres of land to set it on.  No regulations for anything inside of the structure according to the regulatory office.  I should be able to section a portion of my garage off and find a unit to go inside it that will not effect my insurance.  Just a hassle selling this one, buying another, closing room off, replumbing stuff.  You guys get it.  Trying to control my temper, gave up cocktails for awhile so I don't get stupid. 

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 11:49:16 AM »

Does this distinguish between conventional and gasser or phase 2 vs non phase compliant?

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 12:21:13 PM »

that really sucks man! that's a beauty of a stove! Like Honda mentioned, is the EGR Gasification series from P&M an option? maybe they could do a switch out????

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 01:17:42 PM »

Wow, and mine's about 8' from the property line. No local regs at all.
The replumbing would be the biggest headache, wonder if a shed over the existing furnace site would comply. With a gasser there's not enough smoke to notice.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

GUSWHIT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 01:37:13 PM »

Well, it would look like crap and there is a covenant about buildings having to be a certain size and blend in with the house layout.  Plumbing isn't as bad as you might envision as the pad only sits 16' from my garage and I brought the lines up into the garage.  I was going to mount my plumbing all inside, but I changed the plan, so only 20 some feet of underground pipe wasted.  But then add on the monster footing with piers I poured to hold it and then there goes another $1,200.00 not counting the labor!
Anyway, here's another question for you.  Water sample came back perfect and I do not have glycol in it so I don't want it to freeze, but I am nervous about just draining it since the inside might get some rust.  I'm currently just running the pump in a circle through the house to keep it from freezing.  Any thoughts?  I want to keep this in as good a shape for the next guy that buys it!  I couldn't live with myself if I knowingly did something that fouled the unit up.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 03:23:13 PM »

As long as you are spinning water into the home were the water passes through a heat exchanger that is being fed by your backup heat source in the home then you'll be fine with the back feeding heat keeping the boiler plenty warm enough.

Not sure if I missed it but did you say that no type of stand alone heating appliance is allowed outdoors without a building around it?

GUSWHIT

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 03:31:42 PM »

The ordinance is vague, says outdoor wood furnace, except the addition of the 500 lf from the property line.

Pointblank

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 06:30:08 PM »

I see on your other post that you started construction back in 2015. Was there anything on the building permit that showed or mentioned an owb might be used?  Something on the blueprint, site plan or survey?  If you can prove this has been your plan all along you might have a way in since they approved your building permit back in 2015.

Look through all the paperwork submitted for the building permit. Was the slab you poured for the stove drawn on a site plan or survey? Did the inspector sign off on a footing inspection for it?  How about the blueprint. Any reference to in slab heat or heat exchangers in the furnace?  Any mention of dual fuel?
I don't know, might be a long shot but worth looking into....
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota
Pages: [1] 2