Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Anyone installed a G200 inside?  (Read 3218 times)

GUSWHIT

• View Profile
Anyone installed a G200 inside?
« on: December 28, 2017, 09:00:11 AM »

Looking to see if anyone has installed a G200 inside of a building yet?  As some of you may be aware of the situation that has arisen for me, I am searching for a model that I can put inside of my shop/garage.  I can safely section off a portion with only a small inconvenience for me and still get everything hooked back up if I can put a unit inside.  Just wondering how it is working out for you if you have done it and also what your insurance company may have said.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Anyone installed a G200 inside?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 09:02:28 AM »

While I’m not  fan of a OWB inside it sounds like unfortunately that is your only recourse. It will have to be a G series though, the Gs is not UL approved for indoor installations from the lack of the smoke bypass. Just make sure your chimney pipe can be disassembled easily from inside the building in case you even need to pull the roof of the G200.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 10:17:01 AM »

there are a few plp I have seen post on FB groups that have installed their G200 inside. Just make sure you have proper ventilation and keep all combustibles away

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 11:13:27 AM »

While I’m not  fan of a OWB inside it sounds like unfortunately that is your only recourse. It will have to be a G series though, the Gs is not UL approved for indoor installations from the lack of the smoke bypass. Just make sure your chimney pipe can be disassembled easily from inside the building in case you even need to pull the roof of the G200.

I agree, access for service is a thing a lot of indoor installs miss. And clearances to combustibles, bark on the floor, etc. We pretty much have stuck with outdoor but did a few under a carport. The smoke bypass takes care of 90% or more of the smoke.
Calling the factory might help, up in MB a lot of them are going indoors due to the extreme cold.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

GUSWHIT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 11:59:07 AM »

I have a spot that in the garage where there is an offset that I could easily get a 12'x12' room, possibly 12'x14'.  I was storing the split wood right outside the doorway for the other one anyway so I don't really need the storage room and could easily just carry in what I was going to burn/load each time, thus keeping the area relatively clean of debris.  The flat part of ceiling finishes out just shy of 11'.  I have it all drywalled now with 5/8" firestop but my plan would be to build 2 walls around the inside to close this off from the rest of the garage and then line everything with ag steel.  There is a window on the exterior wall and then of course an outside door.  It would keep it closed off from the remainder of the garage, the only draw back is having to go outside to enter the room, but that's still not as bad as standing outside the whole time.  Had no issues with the insurance company outside and they didn't squawk when we contemplated putting a fireplace inside with the original build as long as it was UL approved.  Still weighing all of my options.  Id' like to see what others have done in an enclosed/insulated structure, not just a building meant to shelter the stove and some firewood.

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 12:23:20 PM »

Schoppy has a G200 inside, too bad there's not a tag option here. There are pictures on this page under General, page 2, Exhaust fan set up is the title on the thread.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 12:26:50 PM by wreckit87 »

schoppy

• OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 11:06:31 PM »

Yes, I have mine in a metal building but not insulated. Even though the G series has the bypass damper I would never have one inside unless I had an exhaust vent like I have in the attached pictures. I have had both a G400 and now the G200 and the vent bypass helps greatly but it does not prevent all smoke from rolling out the loading door, especially if there is a partial load that has coated the inside with creosote. I tried a smaller exhaust vent but it was inadequate, my setup now takes care of it very well.

If the unit was not in a building the vent hood wouldn't be needed. Good luck. 
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

GUSWHIT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 09:16:55 AM »

Schoppy, is that just an old furnace fan you rigged up?  Just running it on low speed when you turn it on?  How far did you extend the flair base out from the face of the stove?  Looks like maybe 16"? 

schoppy

• OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 08:47:02 PM »

The fan motor and housing is actually one from a mobile home furnace, all metal construction. It is just a single speed motor. I had the metal bent to make the hood for $25 at a local Amish metal shop. I used 8" round duct to the outside and made a pendulum damper at the end. The hood is 12" out from the front and I made it to be supported by the existing screws above the loading door.

I started with a smaller unit that had a plastic housing but it couldn't take the heat and didn't have the venting capacity. This one works very well but I still wouldn't put one inside a home unless impossible otherwise.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

wreckit87

• OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 07:04:09 PM »

The fan motor and housing is actually one from a mobile home furnace, all metal construction. It is just a single speed motor. I had the metal bent to make the hood for $25 at a local Amish metal shop. I used 8" round duct to the outside and made a pendulum damper at the end. The hood is 12" out from the front and I made it to be supported by the existing screws above the loading door.

I started with a smaller unit that had a plastic housing but it couldn't take the heat and didn't have the venting capacity. This one works very well but I still wouldn't put one inside a home unless impossible otherwise.

After seeing your post a few months ago I picked me up a small 480 CFM squirrel cage from a supplier, think it's actually a draft fan for a Taylor stove. Still sitting on my bench awaiting my sheetmetal buddy to build the hood or trying to build my own, but soon. I'm getting tired of the smoke in the building and ash laying on everything. Thanks for the idea!