Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Burn time in cold temps  (Read 6787 times)

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
Re: Burn time in cold temps
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 09:28:30 PM »

Supposed to be -9 tonight which is what it has been for awhile now and supposed to be for another week. Been filling my G200 about 80 to 90 percent full at night and probably 60 to 65 percent in the daytime, 12 hr. burn times. All oak wood but some slab wood which I just finished up today. I am heating a 3000 sq. ft. well insulated shed at 50 degrees but it does have 2-20'x14' overhead doors. My home is well over 3000 sq. ft. with two separate heating systems and also DHW. 

I have gone through a little over 5 cord of wood so far this heating season which started in early November.

Stay warm boys and Happy New Year!
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 10:37:30 PM »

So far I’ve used 4 plastic tanks, 6 short tote cages and 3 tall tote cages. Most of October and part of November was mild enough there really was no need for heat or I was using the waste oil boiler in the shop.

Takes 5 plastic totes/tanks or 4 short cages or 3 tall cages to make a cord. Consumption really picked up on National Hate Japan Day when winter finally showed up.

I should add I’ve not run the sidewalk in at least a week or ten days. It’s been cold enough what snow we’ve got is nothing but powder, takes less time to fire up the leaf blower and blow it off the sidewalk than it does to add extra wood to the G.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 12:21:10 AM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

donniet79

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: MF5000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 06:28:47 AM »

Seeing as they're essentially the same stove, I would say you'll have better luck stacking perpendicular as I do. It was night and day difference for me, especially in terms of burning up the coals instead of having 10 gallons of them like you did this morning. I had about 2 gallons of coals left after I raked them, just a nice bed to cover the grates a couple inches thick.

Tried it last night and it didn't work in my stove. I loaded it about 9PM last night and woke up 6AM this morning to cool air blowing. Boiler temp was down to 117. Did have a few coals left, so it should get back going here in a bit. It was worth a try though. I suppose I could try one stack parallel and the next stack perpendicular and see if that might be better. I did that once before and it seemed like it did ok.
2002 F250 7.3L
Husqvarna 359
Northstar 37 Ton Log Splitter

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2018, 06:59:29 AM »

Coolige: let Heatmaster handle. They will take care of it. I would keep other people not affiliated with Heatmaster out of the situation. Get ahold of your new local dealer if needed as well. Follow the process and you will be taken care of! I understand you wanting to switch out the 250, hope that works out for you.

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2018, 07:01:55 AM »

I haven't been tracking wood usage but I'd have to say I went through t2 FC this past week. The cold nights have been a killer. Also been.im and.out of the shop alot, and Everytime I open an overhead door the HX is going to run.

I'm still working on figuring out  a good mix of small and large split sizes per loading

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2018, 07:04:38 AM »

I hear yah, have the semi tractor parked in the shop right now, need to find a freeze plug to pull to install a block heater, don’t matter how quick you are pulling something in our out, with these temps once the big door is open temps drop like a rock.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

wreckit87

• OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 08:21:39 AM »

Seeing as they're essentially the same stove, I would say you'll have better luck stacking perpendicular as I do. It was night and day difference for me, especially in terms of burning up the coals instead of having 10 gallons of them like you did this morning. I had about 2 gallons of coals left after I raked them, just a nice bed to cover the grates a couple inches thick.

Tried it last night and it didn't work in my stove. I loaded it about 9PM last night and woke up 6AM this morning to cool air blowing. Boiler temp was down to 117. Did have a few coals left, so it should get back going here in a bit. It was worth a try though. I suppose I could try one stack parallel and the next stack perpendicular and see if that might be better. I did that once before and it seemed like it did ok.

I think ya just didn't put enough wood in lol. Doesn't affect consumption by stacking one way or another, it's just a more thorough burn perpendicular. Mine would bridge and not burn everything when parallel, so it'd cool down faster because there was still unburned wood left in the firebox. If you're able to burn everything up by stacking parallel, no sense in messing with a good thing. Doesn't matter how it's stacked in terms of how much wood it will burn though

donniet79

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2018, 08:27:12 AM »

Ha, that could be because I didn't put in as much as when I load the other way. I guess I probably put in about 1/2 of what I would normally put in. Lol, I should've known better in this cold.
2002 F250 7.3L
Husqvarna 359

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 08:29:24 AM »

The older MF5e has a round firebox without the depth of the C375 so the bridging doesn't happen as much. Harder to get wood all the way in the back tho.
Lotta calls now.... Why's my stove burning so much wood.. It's just c-c-c -old! :)
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 09:14:38 AM »

The older MF5e has a round firebox without the depth of the C375 so the bridging doesn't happen as much. Harder to get wood all the way in the back tho.
Lotta calls now.... Why's my stove burning so much wood.. It's just c-c-c -old! :)

LMAO!! exactly!!! It's focking COLD! that's why!! Lol

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2018, 03:35:28 PM »

Getting at least 12 hrs on 75+ percent full. Seems to burn better when it is colder. My wood use is better than November and it is cold -15 at nights here. About 1 cord a month.

Mr. Maple

• OWF Brand: Empyre 450-sold,P&M BL 4044- sold,now Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 20000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2018, 05:24:02 PM »

Also eating through the wood a little quicker now,but it was -32 Fahrenheit here this morning,used to be two wheelbarrow loads of 18” length wood for a 12-15 hour burn,that is down to 8-10 hours now,also into butternut,so much lower btu’s.

donniet79

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 06:43:09 PM »

I guess mine is not really out of line compared to your guys’ furnaces. I’m hoping I can tighten up my house a bit and fix some ductwork before next winter and see how it does then. My stove does seem to run a lot better though when I don’t worry about it and check on it every 30 minutes to check the temperature. Funny how if you let it do it’s thing it does just fine
2002 F250 7.3L
Husqvarna 359

wreckit87

• OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 07:32:53 PM »

I guess mine is not really out of line compared to your guys’ furnaces. I’m hoping I can tighten up my house a bit and fix some ductwork before next winter and see how it does then. My stove does seem to run a lot better though when I don’t worry about it and check on it every 30 minutes to check the temperature. Funny how if you let it do it’s thing it does just fine

"A watched pot never boils"

donniet79

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2018, 08:41:34 PM »

:thumbup:

"A watched pot never boils"
:thumbup:
2002 F250 7.3L
Husqvarna 359
Pages: 1 [2] 3